Official Bulldogs sign Bronson Xerri for 2024 season on two-year deal despite doping ban

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Regular use of anabolic steroids may eventually cause:

• liver damage
  • kidney or prostate cancer
  • high blood pressure
  • depression
  • cardiovascular complications
  • tendon/ ligament damage.3, 13
Men
Effects include:

• reduced sperm count and fertility
  • shrunken testicles
  • baldness
  • gynaecomastia (developing breasts)
  • involuntarily and long-lasting erection.
The way to stop two or more years of drug cheat headlines is for Xerri/club/Gus to get on the front foot and to warn everyone about the dangers of steroid abuse. The real, more important issue is not about Xerri/punishment/media vultures. It is about the growing abuse of steroids and the harm it causes. For example, it is often seen as a factor in domestic violence and assault.

This can easily become a positive story for the club with a good media strategy. One that shows the club cares, is interested in using its position in the community to raise awareness of the dangers. A message from the club that they take seriously the influence players have as role models.

Because if they don't do that, what I'm seeing is a club that does not take seriously the risk posed to the self-image of young men in particular when they see rugby league players with spectacular physique. Body image is a factor in encouraging men (and women) to use anabolic steroids. Rugby League is showcasing fit footballers all the time. In my opinion all rugby league clubs have a duty of care to the wider community on this issue. They are the ones wheeling out the athletes. They need to show how fitness is achieved through hard work. And to actively warn against drug abuse.

It's a serious issue in the community and I'm not impressed with ignorant dismissal. Just 'serving time' for a 'mistake' is not enough. Xerri still has an obligation to send the right message about the harm that steroids cause. Not to keep silent which can send the wrong message, that if you feel inadequate, it is OK to take a chance, get caught, do the time and you're OK to get back to business. He rolled the dice, he lost. But serving the ban is not the end of the matter. The club also has that responsibility if he is to be employed.

Let's see how the next two years go....
What if Xerri is not confident/comfortable/knowledgeable to be some anti PED advocate? Hopefully Gus and the club protects him and he becomes a good buy for us. I want the Bulldogs to win - i couldn't care less about role models.
You are very naïve if you believe that PEDs is not rampant at all levels of professional sport around the world.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

• liver damage
  • high blood pressure
  • depression
Men
Effects include:

• shrunken testicles
  • baldness
The way to stop two or more years of drug cheat headlines is for Xerri/club/Gus to get on the front foot and to warn everyone about the dangers of steroid abuse. The real, more important issue is not about Xerri/punishment/media vultures. It is about the growing abuse of steroids and the harm it causes. For example, it is often seen as a factor in domestic violence and assault.

This can easily become a positive story for the club with a good media strategy. One that shows the club cares, is interested in using its position in the community to raise awareness of the dangers. A message from the club that they take seriously the influence players have as role models.

Because if they don't do that, what I'm seeing is a club that does not take seriously the risk posed to the self-image of young men in particular when they see rugby league players with spectacular physique. Body image is a factor in encouraging men (and women) to use anabolic steroids. Rugby League is showcasing fit footballers all the time. In my opinion all rugby league clubs have a duty of care to the wider community on this issue. They are the ones wheeling out the athletes. They need to show how fitness is achieved through hard work. And to actively warn against drug abuse.

It's a serious issue in the community and I'm not impressed with ignorant dismissal. Just 'serving time' for a 'mistake' is not enough. Xerri still has an obligation to send the right message about the harm that steroids cause. Not to keep silent which can send the wrong message, that if you feel inadequate, it is OK to take a chance, get caught, do the time and you're OK to get back to business. He rolled the dice, he lost. But serving the ban is not the end of the matter. The club also has that responsibility if he is to be employed.

He will have of plenty motivation,with all the media headlines he will get as his ban nears its end

HaceDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

• liver damage
  • high blood pressure
  • depression
Men
Effects include:

• shrunken testicles
  • baldness

In other words.....Screenshot_20221205_122256_Chrome.jpg

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What if Xerri is not confident/comfortable/knowledgeable to be some anti PED advocate? Hopefully Gus and the club protects him and he becomes a good buy for us. I want the Bulldogs to win - i couldn't care less about role models.
You are very naïve if you believe that PEDs is not rampant at all levels of professional sport around the world.
Yes, that is the point. It is rampant and it is getting worse.

There is a massive health and social problem with drug abuse and drug cheats do not help. The club has a social contract to send the right message, especially now they are employing a drug cheat.

If Xerri wants to earn a living as a professional athlete then I am more than happy for that to happen. But he now has an obligation to make sure the wrong message isn't sent to young men at risk of using illegal substances. Having 'done the time' is only part of the story.

Being reckless with his health, ignoring the dangers and dismissing the accountability is how he got into this mess in the first place.

He and the club need to make a choice.

I can assure you, I'm not naive.

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He will have of plenty motivation,with all the media headlines he will get as his ban nears its end
Exactly. A simple media strategy in these circumstances is to 'own' the issue'. That can be easily done here with the club coming out and saying drugs are bad, mkay.
In the same way JAC and others has owned his past issues. He grew up and faced them like a man.
I genuinely want Xerri to succeed at the Bulldogs. Sending a clear message about this stuff will be part of that success. He and the club will need to do that sooner rather than later.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a bit late to the party but I noticed from an earlier post that said Xerri to play alongside his best mate once again.

Surely his best mate won't be with us come 2024. Only way that happens is if he has a standout '23 season for us, now he's being mentored and coached by Ciraldo.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly. A simple media strategy in these circumstances is to 'own' the issue'. That can be easily done here with the club coming out and saying drugs are bad, mkay.
In the same way JAC and others has owned his past issues. He grew up and faced them like a man.
I genuinely want Xerri to succeed at the Bulldogs. Sending a clear message about this stuff will be part of that success. He and the club will need to do that sooner rather than later.
I have no problem with the intent, Xerri has expressed a desire to get the real story out. So let's give him a chance. However I am hoping it's not just a blame someone else strategy or a, I only did it to get over this specific injury and only did it once? I am hoping he takes responsibility for his actions. Wouldn't surprise me if it was part of the NRL protocols anyway, though don't remember much about Sandor Earls return.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yes, that is the point. It is rampant and it is getting worse.

There is a massive health and social problem with drug abuse and drug cheats do not help. The club has a social contract to send the right message, especially now they are employing a drug cheat.

If Xerri wants to earn a living as a professional athlete then I am more than happy for that to happen. But he now has an obligation to make sure the wrong message isn't sent to young men at risk of using illegal substances. Having 'done the time' is only part of the story.

Being reckless with his health, ignoring the dangers and dismissing the accountability is how he got into this mess in the first place.

He and the club need to make a choice.

I can assure you, I'm not naive.
Has this ever happened with any athlete returning from a drug ban ever? I dont recall any athlete in any sport who has become an anti steroid advocate after returning from a suspension. I could be wrong

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You're right. I can see my earlier suggested words could be read as proposing he become an 'advocate'. I didn't really mean it that way. Either way I agree it is unreasonable to expect that of him.

He really just needs to say, with Gus or someone sitting beside him:
"I take full responsibility for my actions. There are no excuses for what I did.
Performance enhancing drugs cannot be justified under any circumstance, are harmful and have no place in sport.
I also thank the Bulldogs for giving me this chance."

That's all. He only has to do that once. The club can take it from there. The media will not let go of this otherwise. We can be 100% sure of that.

The club has a corporate social responsibility (CSR) to make sure there is a clear message.

Powerslide made a good comment too. I've never taken much notice of Sandow or any one else caught using PEDs. But its a good point and the NRL also has a CSR to communicate to young men that hard work is the best way to fitness or whatever they are trying to achieve in life. They're the ones making $$$ out of professional athletes, so they're responsible for making sure the players are good role models.
I'm only buying in to this topic now because I have always supported CB-Bulldogs and the local communities. There are a lot of challenging social issues in the area as I'm sure you know very well, and steroid abuse as a driver of domestic violence is one of them.

This is actually a growing social issue, especially because of the proven links between steroid abuse and domestic violence, assault and general anti-social behaviour...
There is nothing wrong with taking social issues seriously.

I appreciate the positive responses to my posts in this thread.
I probably need to sign-off from the thread. I'm seriously starting to repeat myself.
:sweatsmile:
:smirk:

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
We all been in the wars, I dont care about his steroid shit, sounds like he is a good player.

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a bit late to the party but I noticed from an earlier post that said Xerri to play alongside his best mate once again.

Surely his best mate won't be with us come 2024. Only way that happens is if he has a standout '23 season for us, now he's being mentored and coached by Ciraldo.
If he does make a halfback out of him Robbo will look silly, ive always thought he had the best coaching gig going.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You're right. I can see my earlier suggested words could be read as proposing he become an 'advocate'. I didn't really mean it that way. Either way I agree it is unreasonable to expect that of him.

He really just needs to say, with Gus or someone sitting beside him:
"I take full responsibility for my actions. There are no excuses for what I did.
Performance enhancing drugs cannot be justified under any circumstance, are harmful and have no place in sport.
I also thank the Bulldogs for giving me this chance."

That's all. He only has to do that once. The club can take it from there. The media will not let go of this otherwise. We can be 100% sure of that.

The club has a corporate social responsibility (CSR) to make sure there is a clear message.

Powerslide made a good comment too. I've never taken much notice of Sandow or any one else caught using PEDs. But its a good point and the NRL also has a CSR to communicate to young men that hard work is the best way to fitness or whatever they are trying to achieve in life. They're the ones making $$$ out of professional athletes, so they're responsible for making sure the players are good role models.
I'm only buying in to this topic now because I have always supported CB-Bulldogs and the local communities. There are a lot of challenging social issues in the area as I'm sure you know very well, and steroid abuse as a driver of domestic violence is one of them.

This is actually a growing social issue, especially because of the proven links between steroid abuse and domestic violence, assault and general anti-social behaviour...
There is nothing wrong with taking social issues seriously.

I appreciate the positive responses to my posts in this thread.
I probably need to sign-off from the thread. I'm seriously starting to repeat myself.
:sweatsmile:
:smirk:
Yeh man relax, lol
I think he will be fine, I'd be slightly concerned moreso about his DH half brother but I think he is in the big house(hope so).
As for the drugs it happened a long time ago he and we should be a ok going forward..highly doubt he fucks up again.
Go well young Bulldog.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Also he doesn't have to say a word..kids watching him will be well aware he was banned for four years and cheats do not prosper and excel, they just get caught and the implications are huge.
Actually will be kind of a role model in that way especially if he kicks arse..showing how one can redeem themselves.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
At the end of the day I don't approve of players that use performance enhancing drugs. But he's serving his time out of the game for it. Pretty much the entire sharks team got caught and got a slap on the wrist. Let's all just hope this winds up being a great decision by the club rather than an embarrassing moment of judgement.

Last edited:

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Good Signing , kid needs a second chance and i am glad its with our club.
he was always going to sign with a team so lets hope we get lucky. Im sure his contract is mainly incentive based being out of the game for 4 years