Bulldogs roll out 6 new signings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wonder what happened to Luciano Lailua?? wasn't he all but signed with us??

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Bit odd that Kennar was never officially announced.. I don't think the Hog mentioned him in the blogs either

Upupcronulla

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I hope cleeland gets a go in the top grade for you guys. Would love to see how he handles the top grade and he'd strike a good combo up with mybe

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I actually think these are some pretty good signings they all look pretty good

chriso

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
My young bloke has played a fair bit of footy against Woodford down here in Queanbeyan.
Says he's a good player and WILL play NRL.

Not that it matters but also said he's a wanker who thinks his shit don't stink.

N

Natboy

My young bloke has played a fair bit of footy against Woodford down here in Queanbeyan.
Says he's a good player and WILL play NRL.

Not that it matters but also said he's a wanker who thinks his shit don't stink.
Sounds like his dad. I hope he kills it for us. How far off being ready for first grade do you think he is?

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I hope cleeland gets a go in the top grade for you guys. Would love to see how he handles the top grade and he'd strike a good combo up with mybe
The thing is he is turning 26 next year and has never been close to playing first grade.... for a 22-23 year old to never have played you can say ok, injuries/bad luck. But at his age if he hasn't made it chances are he never will.

He will join an astute list of bulldog halves in recent years which include Dane chilsom and Matt Frawley :p All 3 can potentially be the next dally m winners once getting their chance :p

I think Cleeland will most likely be a nsw cup player. I doubt he was brought in to play nrl. If he was..... then the dogs have much bigger issues then I realised :p haha.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The thing is he is turning 26 next year and has never been close to playing first grade.... for a 22-23 year old to never have played you can say ok, injuries/bad luck. But at his age if he hasn't made it chances are he never will.

He will join an astute list of bulldog halves in recent years which include Dane chilsom and Matt Frawley :p All 3 can potentially be the next dally m winners once getting their chance :p

I think Cleeland will most likely be a nsw cup player. I doubt he was brought in to play nrl. If he was..... then the dogs have much bigger issues then I realised :p haha.
Cody walker only started to crack it in 1st grade this year some guys are late bloomers

Upupcronulla

Kennel Established
Reaction score

good post.

This is where des has stuffed up. It's quite clear you guys need a half who has a kicking game and at the moment the only person who he has recruited that can do that is cleeland.

It's perfectly understandable to say what you did regarding cleeland but at the end of the day he's the only one at the moment capable of bringing any kind of decent kicking game to your first grade side.

At the end of the day Des should have been trying to recruit a halfback since mid last season that is a capable first grade player with a kicking game but at the moment he's only recruited an untried halfback

Seems des thinks the mybe and reynolds combination is the way to go

iDoggiesFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
good post.

This is where des has stuffed up. It's quite clear you guys need a half who has a kicking game and at the moment the only person who he has recruited that can do that is cleeland.

It's perfectly understandable to say what you did regarding cleeland but at the end of the day he's the only one at the moment capable of bringing any kind of decent kicking game to your first grade side.

At the end of the day Des should have been trying to recruit a halfback since mid last season that is a capable first grade player with a kicking game but at the moment he's only recruited an untried halfback

I don't see a future for Reynolds at the Bulldogs past next year. It's time to move on to someone with some genuine natural ability. If Mbye doesn't get moved to fullback then he has to be in the 6, Cleeland 7, Reynolds as our utility off the bench and whoever Des chooses will be our fullback.

2018 we invest in a genuine halfback and say bye bye to Reynolds, Hoppa and Des.

Upupcronulla

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don't see a future for Reynolds at the Bulldogs past next year. It's time to move on to someone with some genuine natural ability. If Mbye doesn't get moved to fullback then he has to be in the 6, Cleeland 7, Reynolds as our utility off the bench and whoever Des chooses will be our fullback.

2018 we invest in a genuine halfback and say bye bye to Reynolds, Hoppa and Des.
I will probably get shot down here for this but I never understood the love for reynolds. Yeah he has passion and tries really hard but besides a few good things he really is a average first grade player. Obviously his strength is his support play but as a half he has a very weak kicking game and zero creativity.

I think bulldog fans need to get over the fact he's a local junior blah blah blah and actually get a proper half in there.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I will probably get shot down here for this but I never understood the love for reynolds. Yeah he has passion and tries really hard but besides a few good things he really is a average first grade player. Obviously his strength is his support play but as a half he has a very weak kicking game and zero creativity.

I think bulldog fans need to get over the fact he's a local junior blah blah blah and actually get a proper half in there.
To be honest,
This is only my opinion mind you,
I'm sure many will shit on me for this,

But if I had my way, and hindsight is somewhat ba King this up,
I would never have signed Lichaa,

I think Lichaa own development would have been better at the Sharks,

I would have given Ennis his 2 year final contract, and worked Reynolds as his replacement,

I see Reynolds as a hooker, not a half,
I'd like to see Mbye as our number 6

And anyone we can get for half back,
I'd make a huge play at any of the top line half backs,

But hey, that's just me,

Why we didn't go hard for Malonie is beyond me,

Funny thing is,
A few little things go differently and it could have been Malonie and Ennis playing for the dogs this season and not the Sharks, and who knows, that could have been all that was needed to get us a premiership rather that the Sharks,

All hindsight now,

I congratulate the Sharks on a superior recruitment drive over the last few years.

Dogs should look at what the Sharks have achieved and take considerable note.

Upupcronulla

Kennel Established
Reaction score
To be honest,

I would have given Ennis his 2 year final contract, and worked Reynolds as his replacement,

But hey, that's just me,

Funny thing is,
A few little things go differently and it could have been Malonie and Ennis playing for the dogs this season and not the Sharks, and who knows, that could have been all that was needed to get us a premiership rather that the Sharks,

All hindsight now,

I congratulate the Sharks on a superior recruitment drive over the last few years.

personally where i think you guys went wrong with lichaa is des recruited him as your number 1 hooker. He should have been recruited with ennis still there so ennis could mentor him for a few years. The problems he has now he had at the sharks but he was thrown in the deep end at the dogs with no one there to point him in the right direction.

I've seen people on here say flanno is a shit coach but he built this year's side up from the last 2 years. It was so evident we needed a quality spine, like you guys do, so he went about recruiting the players and we ended up with one of the best spines in the comp.

Yeah we might have got lucky with barba pulling his finger out but flanno still had the nuts to take a gamble on him and it paid off.

The good thing about flanno is he always recruits in the position he needs and this year saw him develop a side with the perfect mixture across the field.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Cody walker only started to crack it in 1st grade this year some guys are late bloomers
I'll admit walker is the anomaly because he came from seemingly no where. But I didn't rate him this year. He had lots of errors in his game, but maybe if he is given a clear role in the team (and doesn't get shift around week to week) and a full off season he could be a solid player in 2017.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
To be honest,

But hey, that's just me,

Funny thing is,

All hindsight now,

The only thing with Reynolds at hooker is his shoulders are fucked. If he played there he would probably have to retire before he is 30. He wouldn't get through a whole season having to make 50 tackles a game.

And I do know that if we got Foran he was going to be moved to the 9 and Reynolds was stressing and worried about it. Reynolds could be a good player outside a half back that can set up the plays and all he has to do is run. He is not an organising half. Problem is neither is Moses. And the biggest problem of all is Hasler doesn't want his halves to create the plays. So he has a game plan where the halves camp out on the edges on each side and might get the ball once a set.

The thing with Hasler game plan is by the time the ball gets to the half (sometimes 2-3 passes from the ruck) the defence is in their face and our players aren't skilled or experienced enough to make the right call.

Archie

Waterboy
Reaction score
The only signing dogs should go for that would add value in 2017 and beyond is kalyn ponga

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
good post.

Des had 4 years to find a fullback and 2 years to find a half. But he doesn't consider them critical to our playing style so he never thought of recruiting better. Potentially we could have had a spine in 2016 of Barba, Maloney, hodkinson, Ennis. But Hasler was more concerned with having a pack of graham, tolman, trex, Jackson, kasiano and Eastwood. And he has 40-50% of his cap covering the pack instead of the spine.

With any other coach dogs wouldn't have hoppa/bmoz as the fullbacks and Reynolds and mbye as the starting halves. He had 5 years to shape the team and this is all he could come up with.... it's a shame castles parades him as a super coach because I think even Jason Taylor would have the foresight to strengthen a teams weakness (look at what he did with Farah).

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

He's shit at best and a real deadbeat to. Spoken to him on Twitter he thinks his shit don't stink. I see better halves running round down local park

Status
Not open for further replies.