Bulldogs reveal who’s going in massive roster clean out

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I agree with you. No doubt the worst team I've ever seen but in saying that there was atleast 4 winnable games there this year that went by the wayside. The only player I think that improved this year was Meaney and I credit that all to himself and the only player I would have kept out of the ones leaving.

I just can't see how after the season we've had that the team can get the blame and not the Coach. Your not a Coach if you can only get something out of awesome players and not get other's to realise or even hit above their abilities. Surely winning a GF requires players to do exactly that, reach above their own abilities?

Tbaz without doubt failed this year BUT he has next year with better player's to make amends for that. 8 weeks should be enough with a pre-season to show us if there's any hope in his Coaching. I'm not saying he has to win even 6 of those but there has to be a sign from playing, strategy, fitness and players attitudes to prove that he can. The team will need time to gel but the signs will need to be present. This year there was zero signs. If I had to give him a mark this year he would get 0/10 for Coaching.
I too had high hopes for TBaz as a coach this year but with every loss, and every game like groundhog day with minimal to no improvement, my hopes are fading.

But....at this stage he is 100% our coach for pre season and next year and I am really hoping we see signs of improvement in the teams performance

Hopefully TBaz and Gus will spend alot of time over the coming months analyzing what went wrong this season and learn from it. I'm really hoping TBaz can pick Gus' brain and learn as much as he can from him, let's not forget Gus is one of the best coaches of all time and arguably one of the shrewdest football minds in the game

Gus is now putting pieces of the puzzle in place in regards to squad balance and hopefully he will get a couple of better qualified assistant coaches in to help TBaz

I think another key is getting a settled side that can form combinations. We had absolutely zero continuity in our team and no combinations and it showed not only in attack but more importantly in defence when we would get ripped apart on our edges every game. Hopefully the same faces playing next to each other week after week will help build confidence and structure

I'm still hopeful that TBaz can turn things around and start growing with the team and turn us into a competitive team and eventually title contenders

I'm sure if Gus doesn't feel the team is heading in the right direction by mid season and if he feels coaching is the problem, he will make the call, all for the betterment of the club

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
agree grogdog, as a coach you all have a "style" that you want to play, but if you dont have players to play that way, then you have to change. Tbaz didnt do that.
Definetly. The serious decline in defence was concerning as that is a "standard" skill amongst all teams. Everyone can be taught how to tackle. Kickers not increasing their bag of skills. The basics are the same and one would think that is where we should have been good and other then completions we were last in every basic skill the game has to offer. Cavemen can learn the basics, that's what use to make the game so great. Until the rules started to get tampered with that is.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I too had high hopes for TBaz as a coach this year but with every loss, and every game like groundhog day with minimal to no improvement, my hopes are fading.

But....at this stage he is 100% our coach for pre season and next year and I am really hoping we see signs of improvement in the teams performance

Hopefully TBaz and Gus will spend alot of time over the coming months analyzing what went wrong this season and learn from it. I'm really hoping TBaz can pick Gus' brain and learn as much as he can from him, let's not forget Gus is one of the best coaches of all time and arguably one of the shrewdest football minds in the game

Gus is now putting pieces of the puzzle in place in regards to squad balance and hopefully he will get a couple of better qualified assistant coaches in to help TBaz

I think another key is getting a settled side that can form combinations. We had absolutely zero continuity in our team and no combinations and it showed not only in attack but more importantly in defence when we would get ripped apart on our edges every game. Hopefully the same faces playing next to each other week after week will help build confidence and structure

I'm still hopeful that TBaz can turn things around and start growing with the team and turn us into a competitive team and eventually title contenders

I'm sure if Gus doesn't feel the team is heading in the right direction by mid season and if he feels coaching is the problem, he will make the call, all for the betterment of the club
I hope that too mate.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Definetly. The serious decline in defence was concerning as that is a "standard" skill amongst all teams. Everyone can be taught how to tackle. Kickers not increasing their bag of skills. The basics are the same and one would think that is where we should have been good and other then completions we were last in every basic skill the game has to offer. Cavemen can learn the basics, that's what use to make the game so great. Until the rules started to get tampered with that is.
the main problem for me with defence, without getting too technical, you should never get beat on your inside shoulder, and if you want the tries scored against us, alot of them are players getting beat on the inside shoulder.
these are basic defence training drills, so not sure what they are doing in D

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
the main problem for me with defence, without getting too technical, you should never get beat on your inside shoulder, and if you want the tries scored against us, alot of them are players getting beat on the inside shoulder.
No faith in the inside man.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So we letting all those players go,
And apparently we still don't have room in our cap to sign anyone else?
Really?

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you are defending all game because of repeat 6 again infringements of course players will drop off in defence...they are not robots ...the new rules and speed of today’s game mean only the elite athletes can keep up

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is dropping Meanie for Dufty going to pay off, this guy had better be better because Bellamy wasn't after his signature.

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yeah agree. Be really interesting to see what Robinson can get out of him.
I agree. But let’s be honest the roosters are full of origin and rep players. We have Thompson. So we need to measure improvement on a different scale at this point in time.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't disagree with the players let go, though I wish it was Flanagan off contract and being shipped and not Lewis. All the same, unless we let go of Eliot and Thompson we won't have any salary cap space left to sign a recognised halfback or hooker for 2023.... unless we let go of Dufty and Vaughan after just 1 year which seems very unlikely.

Pappydog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Is dropping Meanie for Dufty going to pay off, this guy had better be better because Bellamy wasn't after his signature.
Bellamy didn’t resign JAC either, yet here we are

But I take your point

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
With the roster we have.. i dont know where the NRL think theyre going to get 30 decent players for a new franchise..

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What happened with Watson Heleta? Heard so many great things about him on here

I know it’s because we have an abundance of backs that’s why we let him go but that one I was quite surprised about
Pretty sure he is contracted to Mounties, not us.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Me too, especially considering I wanted Hollbrook and watching the style he's trying over there. I had hope for Tbaz and jumped on that wagon, I think I just bought into the whole "it's Tbaz's attack at Penrith and Cleary is a myth" talk. Man was I naive! It was hard as the season progressed and seeing no sign's that the team was being coached. His selections and bench use was amateur and it was just as disappointing as the team's performances. He has a fukin long way to go before next season IMO.
Yep I am disappointed in Baz but I also don’t think Holbrook has been that impressive this year. They haven’t improved on last year despite getting Fifita and Tino. His decision last week to play Peachey at five eighth was pretty strange.

He hasn’t really worked out how to use Fifita either against the good teams.