Bulldogs put bite on for Belmore bid

Status
Not open for further replies.

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Stuart Honeysett | September 02, 2008

THE Bulldogs could lobby the federal Government for funding to upgrade Belmore Oval with a view to returning to the club's spiritual home.

Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg confirmed yesterday the subject had come up for discussion with Prime Minister Kevin Rudd and Treasurer Wayne Swan during Sunday's game against Brisbane at ANZ Stadium.

Rudd, a Broncos supporter, and Swan, were invited to the match by Brisbane officials but watched the game from the Bulldogs' corporate box.

"The club needs to continue to explore all its options," Greenberg said yesterday.

"I've said a lot of times the Bulldogs should be playing the right games in the right stadiums.

"We've got a long-term deal with ANZ, who have been nothing but supportive of our efforts."

It is not the first time the Bulldogs have made noises this season about their future. Greenberg indicated last month the club would be remiss not to explore a relocation to Gosford.

The suggestion drew howls of protest from loyal supporters but was backed by veteran coach Steve Folkes, who said the club needed to look at all options to ensure its financial security.

The club's future at ANZ Stadium continues to be an issue, especially after only 7685 fans turned up to farewell Folkes and hooker Corey Hughes in their final home game for the club.

It is understood the Prime Minister asked Bulldogs officials why the game was not played at Belmore Oval, prompting informal talks about whether the club could acquire government assistance to return there.

It is believed that it would cost at least $30 million to bring Belmore Oval up to NRL standards. The club intends to follow the matter up by making contact with Rudd's office.

There are several areas that would need to be improved, including an upgrade of the ground and training facilities, increased seating, parking, media requirements and lighting.

The Bulldogs could also lobby the NSW Government given Belmore Oval is in the electorate of Lakemba, held by Premier Morris Iemma.

Although the club has had problems with local council over the state of Belmore, which prompted its move to Olympic Park, the council could also be approached to help with funding.

"Belmore's certainly not currently fit to host NRL matches unless significant funding was available from government," Greenberg said.

"But I wouldn't be doing my job as a CEO if I didn't explore all the different opportunities available to the club."

The Bulldogs played their final match at Belmore Oval against Melbourne in 1998, beating the Storm 8-4 in front of a modest crowd of 11,179.

They shifted to the Olympic stadium (ANZ) in 1999-2000 before moving to the Sydney Showground from 2001-03. From 2003-05 they shifted games between the two venues.

In 2006 they signed a 15-year contract with Telstra Stadium (now ANZ) to play their home games at the ground, with the stadium underwriting every match for $100,000.

The Bulldogs are not the only NRL club that plays some or all of their home games at ANZ Stadium. Financial incentives also lured South Sydney, St George Illawarra and Wests Tigers to the venue.

The ground has come under attack on several fronts this season, predominantly for the state of the surface and the lack of atmosphere in a 80,000-plus seat stadium.

Subsequently it has been reported the Dragons and the Tigers will be looking for a different home ground when their deals expire at the end of the season.

Giving the Bulldogs some hope is the fact the Dragons received $15 million in combined funding from both the federal and state governments for an upgrade which started in 2006.

The club moved some of its home games away from Kogarah this season to allow further upgrades to continue and will return there next year.
Interesting developments...

S

sandman77

Come on Ruddy, Give us the farking money and Ill vote for you in the next election.

No more Rudd Bagging on the Kennel until this is sorted out.

srsen

Waterboy
Reaction score
this goes close to the best news i've seen allseason - the wheels are now OFFICIALLY in motion!!!

I dont vote - i HATE politics and politicians... BUT, if Rudd or Iemma approves funding for Belmore not only will they win my vote but i will make every person i know vote for them too haha!

Still very early, but there is now an outside chance!!! :jump:

K

KL

almost, you just have to attend zero games next season and your it

K

KL

p.s it would also pay to post live scores on the kennel when we play matches at the crest, or when NYC games are not shown on tele. that way you will have better knowledge of our junior players.

also dont forget to create an account on the kennel.com.au that recycles news already posted on other websites

K

kennyy

p.s it would also pay to post live scores on the kennel when we play matches at the crest, or when NYC games are not shown on tele. that way you will have better knowledge of our junior players.

also dont forget to create an account on the kennel.com.au that recycles news already posted on other websites
Okay, how about this then?

I will watch the nyc game and write my journo review whilst the 1st grade game is on, with my back to it, then write posts with high horse undertones saying i will never boo the dogs but i will gladly watch them with my back to the screen

K

KL

lol, yes.

everyone dognauseous is now our no.1 fan.

I shall let frank barrett know asap.

P.M.

Ban Ned
Reaction score
In 2006 they signed a 15-year contract with Telstra Stadium

1 - Why would you commit to such a long agreement?

2 - Does it allow us to play half our home games in ANZ and the other half in Belmore?

..shurrup..

Kennel Established
Reaction score
go rudd! ill vote for you next time(will be my first time voting)...having said that i was going for rudd in the last election

A4-doggy

Waterboy
Reaction score
Thought id never see the day BS ground become a topic again...and i was always mentioning Central coast move.

Great news if funding is allocated to us!

mantissa

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think it is State Government that would have to fund it ?
ie: Morris Iemma that needs to come up with the $$.
Kevin Rudd would not foot the bill...Morris is the man to target.
He is a Bulldogs fan , and it is in his electorate.
Morris Iemma is struggling to survive and thats where a petition should be sent, promising that we will vote him back in next election ,if he can get Belmore up and running.
Problem is our hospitals ,roads and schools are all sh*thouse and there would be a huge uproar from the public and I don't think he will be around much longer...Would love to see it happen but I doubt it..

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
I think it is State Government that would have to fund it ?
ie: Morris Iemma that needs to come up with the $$.
Kevin Rudd would not foot the bill...Morris is the man to target.
He is a Bulldogs fan , and it is in his electorate.
Morris Iemma is struggling to survive and thats where a petition should be sent, promising that we will vote him back in next election ,if he can get Belmore up and running.
Problem is our hospitals ,roads and schools are all sh*thouse and there would be a huge uproar from the public and I don't think he will be around much longer...Would love to see it happen but I doubt it..
I thought the NSW Premier was an avid Dragons supporter.

mantissa

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
maybe i am wrong ?? but thought he was a doggies fan when we won premiership in 2004 I remember him going on about being a Belmore boy and celebrating..Maybe was an election ploy? lol
Good if he is a dragons supporter he is a d*ckhead and we have a no d*ckheads policy anyway..

K

KL

he has given money to cronulla, manly, newcastle.

I dont think it matters who he supports tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.