Not open for further replies.

Nomad

Waterboy
Reaction score
Premiership Odds: (via betting.club): $11.00
Big Outs: Trent Hodkinson, Frank Pritchard, Tim Lafai
Big Ins: Will Hopoate
Key Player: James Graham
It’s not often that a team’s key player comes in the form of a front rower, but in James Graham, we are not talking about an ordinary prop.
Graham can tuck the ball under his arm and make metres with the best of them, but it is his ball playing ability that separates him from the majority of those in the front row.
His ability to stop at the line and pop a miracle pass had defences misreading plays, leaving them grasping at air.
Although most defences have highlighted Graham as a focal point of the Bulldog attack, it’s one thing to identify something, it’s completely different trying to stop it.
Young Gun: Moses Mbye
22 year-old Moses Mbye is a man under immense pressure, but is a man with immense talent and potential.
NSW Origin halfback Trend Hodkinson was practically allowed to walk out of the club to accommodate the versatile young Queenslander.
He showed plenty last season across multiple positions, and Des Hasler has an impressive record of turning unknown halves into stars.
Mbye has all the talent to succeed, but with a halves partner who did not enjoy a fruitful 2015, and plenty of pressure on him from the start, he probably doesn’t have a lot of time to settle into his new role.
Best Signing: Will Hopoate
The Bulldogs have allowed a few players to leave in order to upgrade and extend young talent, however they were able to land Origin winger Will Hopoate. Truth be told, Hopoate’s form since returning to rugby league following a two year mission has not been great, but his talent is undeniable.The Dogs have taken another gamble here moving on Tim Lafai, but Hopoate’s best form came under the guidance of Hasler at Manly.At his best Hopoate was a genuine Origin star with the world at his feet. He’s been quoted in the media as saying he’s enjoying the best pre-season since his return to the game, which bodes well for fans of the Dogs.
Strength: Forward power
In terms of forward packs, the Dogs are amongst the elite. James Graham is one of the top props in the game, while Aiden Tolman, Josh Jackson, and Greg Eastwood are genuine superstars.
Tony Williams, Shaun Lane, David Klemmer, Tim Browne and Sam Kasiano are absolute behemoths are all able to distribute the ball.
If Mbye and Reynolds are unable to spark in attack, the Dogs have three or four 110 kilo-plus five-eighths in the forwards.
Tolman and Graham are typically big minute players, while Jackson is capable of playing 80 minutes, meaning they’re in a good position even if it does take their other big men time to adapt to the new interchange rules.
Weakness: Untested halves combination
Josh Reynolds is a former Origin five-eighth but his 2015 was poor by his own standards. Moses Mbye is a trememdous talent, but as mentioned previously, hasn’t played regular footy in the halves.
The Dogs enter 2016 with two supremely talented halves with huge question marks over their form.
The Dogs have try scoring ability in spades across their backline, with both Morris twins and Curtis Rona especially dangerous, but if there’s not much they can do without the ball.
There’s a real chance that the Dogs halves may take time to gel, it’s only natural, but with the closest competition in years predicted, the pressure will be on to avoid a slow start.
Strongest 17:
1. Brett Morris
2. Curtis Rona
3. Josh Morris
4. Will Hopoate
5. Sam Perrett
6. Josh Reynolds
7. Moses Mbye
8. Aiden Tolman
9. Michael Lichaa
10. James Graham
11. Josh Jackson
12. Tony Williams
13. Greg Eastwood
14. David Klemmer
15. Sam Kasiano
16. Tim Browne
17. Shaun Lane
Prediction: 8th
This Bulldogs side is arguably the most difficult to predict for the upcoming season.
Mbye and Reynolds are unknowns. Mbye is shifting into a fulltime halfback role from the outside backs, while Josh Reynolds had a poor 2015. Despite being a confident player, even those most sure of themselves have doubts after dips in form.
The Dogs forward pack is absolutely frightening. They’re massive behemoth human beings, but will they be able to play increased minutes?
Will the decision to move Hodkinson and Lafai on backfire, or will Mbye and Hopoate set the competition alight?
There are too many questions to predict a top four finish, but there’s too much talent here to have them missing finals footy.

Read more at http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/team-by-team-preview-8th-the-bulldogs-20183/#eGbKO4rTJ2PCTofY.99

Pretty fair summary, I reckon. I feel that this year is the most uncertain since Hasler joined- hard to be too confident but after four years at the helm you'd think that Hasler pretty much now has the team he wants. Just hoping that this is the year it all falls into place.

blah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the year that Hasler has to prove that he is the mastermind everyone says he is

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Graham key player? ****ing hope not, more of the same if so. Our genuine key players need to step up or be given the chance too...so im looking at Mbye, Reynolds (yes lol), Williams..

mearsey

panania raised
Reaction score
Lichea has to lift in attack , halves need to spark and who is our goalkicker ?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Reynolds kicked in NSW cup, think his percentage in NSW cup is around 70%. Holland kicked last season in NSW cup.. but we will probs run with Moses i guess, he and Holland are the only players i know that have done goal kicking training, would think a couple other would be part of that group but dunno who?

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
IMO You're right about Lichaa, but that will only happen if Hasler gives him the green light to play his natural game. The dummy half's reading of the defence is where the go forward starts but I'm afraid that Hasler will demand that Lichaa is just another defence robot, which will kill off his attacking flair. To be honest I dont know why we bought him, another second rower would do the job Hasler will demand.

Yes it is time for our halves, especially no.7, to start calling the shots, but that will only happen if our forwards reinvent their aggression in attack and defence and our halves are hit with a magic wand as far as a kicking game is concerned. Both are a tall order going on most of 2015.

Our goal kicker? Moses Mbye I think. He has booted them from the sideline so with Daryl Halligan type coaching he will go well.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
It kills me 1 signing if we don't change our game plane it's going to be a long season .

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think they are being way too kind imo
if we make the 8 I'll be happy and surprised

Klemhammer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
IMO You're right about Lichaa, but that will only happen if Hasler gives him the green light to play his natural game. The dummy half's reading of the defence is where the go forward starts but I'm afraid that Hasler will demand that Lichaa is just another defence robot, which will kill off his attacking flair. To be honest I dont know why we bought him, another second rower would do the job Hasler will demand.

Yes it is time for our halves, especially no.7, to start calling the shots, but that will only happen if our forwards reinvent their aggression in attack and defence and our halves are hit with a magic wand as far as a kicking game is concerned. Both are a tall order going on most of 2015.

Our goal kicker? Moses Mbye I think. He has booted them from the sideline so with Daryl Halligan type coaching he will go well.

With lichaa the the way he played last year it was to get his body used to playing 80 minutes first which meant learning to do the fundamentals and playing for a consistent 80 minutes

This season I am most certain Lichaa will be more comfortable with playing 80 minutes and being able to do extra things on offense

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
I have serious doubts about Brett Morris lasting the season physically at fullback. Actually there is no doubt he will be injured at fullback

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
An injury to either bmoz, mbye or kasiano and we will be fighting for the spoon.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Kasiano LOL he is a lazy turd. Still cant believe you guys still shoot loads in your pants for a guy who weights 120kg plus that cant even average over a 100 metres a game. If he were in any other team you all would be laughing your arses off at how lazy and soft he is.

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Premiership Odds: (via betting.club): $11.00
Big Outs: Trent Hodkinson, Frank Pritchard, Tim Lafai
Big Ins: Will Hopoate
Key Player: James Graham
It’s not often that a team’s key player comes in the form of a front rower, but in James Graham, we are not talking about an ordinary prop.
Graham can tuck the ball under his arm and make metres with the best of them, but it is his ball playing ability that separates him from the majority of those in the front row.
His ability to stop at the line and pop a miracle pass had defences misreading plays, leaving them grasping at air.
Although most defences have highlighted Graham as a focal point of the Bulldog attack, it’s one thing to identify something, it’s completely different trying to stop it.
Young Gun: Moses Mbye
22 year-old Moses Mbye is a man under immense pressure, but is a man with immense talent and potential.
NSW Origin halfback Trend Hodkinson was practically allowed to walk out of the club to accommodate the versatile young Queenslander.
He showed plenty last season across multiple positions, and Des Hasler has an impressive record of turning unknown halves into stars.
Mbye has all the talent to succeed, but with a halves partner who did not enjoy a fruitful 2015, and plenty of pressure on him from the start, he probably doesn’t have a lot of time to settle into his new role.
Best Signing: Will Hopoate
The Bulldogs have allowed a few players to leave in order to upgrade and extend young talent, however they were able to land Origin winger Will Hopoate. Truth be told, Hopoate’s form since returning to rugby league following a two year mission has not been great, but his talent is undeniable.The Dogs have taken another gamble here moving on Tim Lafai, but Hopoate’s best form came under the guidance of Hasler at Manly.At his best Hopoate was a genuine Origin star with the world at his feet. He’s been quoted in the media as saying he’s enjoying the best pre-season since his return to the game, which bodes well for fans of the Dogs.
Strength: Forward power
In terms of forward packs, the Dogs are amongst the elite. James Graham is one of the top props in the game, while Aiden Tolman, Josh Jackson, and Greg Eastwood are genuine superstars.
Tony Williams, Shaun Lane, David Klemmer, Tim Browne and Sam Kasiano are absolute behemoths are all able to distribute the ball.
If Mbye and Reynolds are unable to spark in attack, the Dogs have three or four 110 kilo-plus five-eighths in the forwards.
Tolman and Graham are typically big minute players, while Jackson is capable of playing 80 minutes, meaning they’re in a good position even if it does take their other big men time to adapt to the new interchange rules.
Weakness: Untested halves combination
Josh Reynolds is a former Origin five-eighth but his 2015 was poor by his own standards. Moses Mbye is a trememdous talent, but as mentioned previously, hasn’t played regular footy in the halves.
The Dogs enter 2016 with two supremely talented halves with huge question marks over their form.
The Dogs have try scoring ability in spades across their backline, with both Morris twins and Curtis Rona especially dangerous, but if there’s not much they can do without the ball.
There’s a real chance that the Dogs halves may take time to gel, it’s only natural, but with the closest competition in years predicted, the pressure will be on to avoid a slow start.
Strongest 17:
1. Brett Morris
2. Curtis Rona
3. Josh Morris
4. Will Hopoate
5. Sam Perrett
6. Josh Reynolds
7. Moses Mbye
8. Aiden Tolman
9. Michael Lichaa
10. James Graham
11. Josh Jackson
12. Tony Williams
13. Greg Eastwood
14. David Klemmer
15. Sam Kasiano
16. Tim Browne
17. Shaun Lane
Prediction: 8th
This Bulldogs side is arguably the most difficult to predict for the upcoming season.
Mbye and Reynolds are unknowns. Mbye is shifting into a fulltime halfback role from the outside backs, while Josh Reynolds had a poor 2015. Despite being a confident player, even those most sure of themselves have doubts after dips in form.
The Dogs forward pack is absolutely frightening. They’re massive behemoth human beings, but will they be able to play increased minutes?
Will the decision to move Hodkinson and Lafai on backfire, or will Mbye and Hopoate set the competition alight?
There are too many questions to predict a top four finish, but there’s too much talent here to have them missing finals footy.

Read more at http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/team-by-team-preview-8th-the-bulldogs-20183/#eGbKO4rTJ2PCTofY.99

Pretty fair summary, I reckon. I feel that this year is the most uncertain since Hasler joined- hard to be too confident but after four years at the helm you'd think that Hasler pretty much now has the team he wants. Just hoping that this is the year it all falls into place.
At least we know that we are now building. Abbey-Mbye-Lichaa-Hoppa- Jackson-lane- Klemmer-Perret

iDoggiesFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
"I’m just trying to get an understanding of the footy side of things and learning the new structures because we are playing a little different this year.”
Quote from Matt Frawley (NSW Cup Half).

Hopefully this is an insight into Des' plans for the year as it sounds like he is tinkering with the game plan somewhat. For me it starts with our 7 & 9. Lichaa was clearly restricted in 2015 and I'm all for him having a year to allow his body to physically adapt to play the full 80, but this year needs to be different. Des has been chasing the kid for years so with that I can't see him throwing such a blanket over him in 2016. With Lichaa given more freedom, Mbye needs to come out firing. He needs to take control and build some strong combos fast. I'm confident that with more freedom for both our 7 & 9 and hopefully some stability to move our team around the park that we will produce nothing less than a top 6 finish.

Last edited by a moderator:

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No kasiano = no points champ
that's what I'm basing it on tbh

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No kasiano = no points champ
that's what I'm basing it on tbh
He had 4 try assists last year we scored 102 champ. Since his breakout year in 2012 what has he done other than get injured, get fatter and get dropped by the Kiwis? Please dont bring up his three good games in a row because that doesnt make up for not averaging over 100 metres a game. He's just another Trex but because hes ours we, you, give him more slack.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Kasiano LOL he is a lazy turd. Still cant believe you guys still shoot loads in your pants for a guy who weights 120kg plus that cant even average over a 100 metres a game. If he were in any other team you all would be laughing your arses off at how lazy and soft he is.
Finally, someone else is with me haha.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
He had 4 try assists last year we scored 102 champ. Since his breakout year in 2012 what has he done other than get injured, get fatter and get dropped by the Kiwis? Please dont bring up his three good games in a row because that doesnt make up for not averaging over 100 metres a game. He's just another Trex but because hes ours we, you, give him more slack.
Mate not sure if you realize this but making 100 metres a game isn't be all and end all. He provides us stuff that Tolman doesn't. You need both. Who do you think the opp and opp coach worry about? Tolman or Kas? Case closed.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Lol you are honestly delusional which other forward his size can bend the line and off load and passes better than our halfs ?
You and marley seriously need to look for another team to support

Status
Not open for further replies.