News Bulldogs premiership window chances

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yeah admittedly most of my predications are 90% emotion and 10% logic. When it comes to the Dogs, I just cant help it :sob:

In saying that we did it in 2009 and 2012 and other teams have done it so it's possible. IMO we'll be in a much better position to do it in 22 than we were in 09 and 12 because we'll have more turnover in our roster.

Again this all depends on injuries and how our spine goes. If Avo, Burton, Flanagan and our new 9 all fire, we're fit and our defence is on song (as I'm expecting/hoping for), anything can happen baby....

Ultimately it depends on what our roster looks like in 22 which in part depends on how we go next year. If we play crap then it'll be much harder for us to recruit quality players so we'll have to pay overs. If we play well then Baz's legacy improves and suddenly we become a club that players want to come to so we might jag a few guns at market value, or small overs (Staggs, Leniu for example)
Anything is possible, especially when it comes to NRL, that's why we love the Sport. There are always teams that do better or worse than expected. You just need to be careful with setting unrealistic expectations. There's where we want to be, and where we're (current team). If we're able to bring 3 top players in for 2021 (which is probably unlikely, just something we need to happen to realistically challenge for the 8) then we'll have a good chance of making the eight and we can build on that over the next few years. As is tho, our spine is probably one of the worst in the competition still. Meaney, Averillo, Flanagan and JMK. We're still missing 2 key players (Burton + hooker). If we were able to add players like Burton (already coming), B. Smith, JAC and Leniu over the next two years we'll have a very good top 8 team.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have gone from around the bottom of ladder to semi’s I before in quick time no reason we can’t do it again,remember what positive thinking can do,and the challenge for most of these guys is a lot of them are of contract at the end of year,there’s your motivation

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah admittedly most of my predications are 90% emotion and 10% logic. When it comes to the Dogs, I just cant help it :sob:

In saying that we did it in 2009 and 2012 and other teams have done it so it's possible. IMO we'll be in a much better position to do it in 22 than we were in 09 and 12 because we'll have more turnover in our roster.

Again this all depends on injuries and how our spine goes. If Avo, Burton, Flanagan and our new 9 all fire, we're fit and our defence is on song (as I'm expecting/hoping for), anything can happen baby....

Ultimately it depends on what our roster looks like in 22 which in part depends on how we go next year. If we play crap then it'll be much harder for us to recruit quality players so we'll have to pay overs. If we play well then Baz's legacy improves and suddenly we become a club that players want to come to so we might jag a few guns at market value, or small overs (Staggs, Leniu for example)
Your predictions are not as far fetched as others think. In 2009 we went from wooden spooners to 2nd due to good recruitments. Our coach Moore wasn't that great. Next year we have a coach in TB who is a quantum leap over Moore and will transform our playing style. The Chooks went from the spoon in 2012 to premiers the next year. Putting aside Uncle Nick this was due to a new top coach and good recruitment. Nobody rated the riff at the start of this year as their form in 20 was ordinary and their roster was much the same. TB made the difference and now he's our coach. Good times ahead for the Doggies. I think we're a 50% chance for the top 8 in 20 and huge upside in 21 onwards when we clear the deadwood.

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If you can't be optimistic as a fan, when can you be? I always go into a season expecting to do well. Rose coloured glasses or not, this should be everyone's expectation!!!
Yeah but there’s optimism and there’s unrealistic expectations. The latter being what leads to knee jerk decision making.

Maybe I was unfair on Papa Joe, he’s only a couple of seasons off IMO. My expectation of the team, club and Coach Barrett is top half of the bottom 8 with a chancey shot at top 8 for season ‘21, bottom half of the top 8 for season ‘22, then I’m with Papa Joe, maybe even expecting more.

But the next two seasons I’m happy for them to find their feet, as long as we’re improving.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
BULLDOGS

2021 losses: Sauaso Sue, Reimis Smith, Kerrod Holland, Kieran Foran, Marcelo Montoya, Aiden Tolman, Jack Cogger, Tim Lafai, Isaiah Tass
That is a crazy amount of deadwood. Barrett and the board are doing a massive overhaul of the roster.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The article is on pointe IMO.

The door is certainly opening in the high stakes of a seat at the GF, but it’s only ajar... still a few key positions needing to be nailed down.

Next year will be a tuning season with new coaching staff, fresh faces and combinations.. may be a Smokey for finals if we can get Burton, JAC or B Smith.

2021 will be a significant year, I’d be surprised if we were not top 6 possibly vying top 4 with more cap space and a targeted recruitment drive... TB has been surgical in his choices which I absolutely admire.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah but there’s optimism and there’s unrealistic expectations. The latter being what leads to knee jerk decision making.

Maybe I was unfair on Papa Joe, he’s only a couple of seasons off IMO. My expectation of the team, club and Coach Barrett is top half of the bottom 8 with a chancey shot at top 8 for season ‘21, bottom half of the top 8 for season ‘22, then I’m with Papa Joe, maybe even expecting more.

But the next two seasons I’m happy for them to find their feet, as long as we’re improving.
I think your just trying to not set yourself up for disappointment. Expecting less then what is actually possible.
No one knows what the season ahead holds, but im hoping and expecting for a lot more then just a 3-5 placement improvement.

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Decade of Dog Dominance starts in three months! They’ll be talking Bellamy, Bennett and Baz in the same sentence!

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think your just trying to not set yourself up for disappointment. Expecting less then what is actually possible.
No one knows what the season ahead holds, but im hoping and expecting for a lot more then just a 3-5 placement improvement.
Well I hope you’re right, in fact I hope for more every season.

But I don’t expect it. Expect is only one step from demand, and we’re in no position to demand anything yet. We’ll knee jerk our way to a decade at the bottom if we go demand too early.

Doggone1975

Kennel Established
Reaction score
And then you woke up.

2021 = 10-15
2022 = ~8th
2023 = 4-8
2024 = top 4
2025 = top 4

People are getting way too ahead of their selves. We’ve made a couple good signings, but our team is still largely the same. And while Barrett and co are saying the right things it’s a complete different ballgame on the park.
Disagree somewhat... A big factor is culture and belief.
In saying that I'm a dreamer and reality is a dream killer.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
anything is possible in the NRL with the salary cap, no relegation, and we have seen the 'Dogs finish second last in 2005 and preliminary finalists in 2006, wooden spooners in 2008 and preliminary finalists again in 2009... so things can turn around quickly

the problem is that our slide down the table has been over 4-5 years with a wrecked cap, poor FG squad, no juniors etc. and so I think it will take a couple years before we are in the hunt for a finals spot and a couple more before we contend again

Bulldog wazza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Gents this also must be considered, each year the NRL changes the rules and redesigns the regulations and manner which Refs are to officiate. This brings forward having the right application by coaches and players as we begin and move through each season. Finals team one year can find themselves struggling the next season. With this I can see our team moving up given we will be a faster and smarter brand of Dogs next year and beyond. Teams relying on the wrestling next year will be punished as will sloppy ruck offenders..
Bye bye Rorters and Manly and Storm.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well I hope you’re right, in fact I hope for more every season.

But I don’t expect it. Expect is only one step from demand, and we’re in no position to demand anything yet. We’ll knee jerk our way to a decade at the bottom if we go demand too early.
Im not expecting either. And on this point i agree. Expectations are dangerous. But im hoping we turn things around massively. I suspect we will.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Until we hire at least 2 premiership players we have no chance. Nobody on our recruitment list meets that criteria.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Your predictions are not as far fetched as others think. In 2009 we went from wooden spooners to 2nd due to good recruitments. Our coach Moore wasn't that great. Next year we have a coach in TB who is a quantum leap over Moore and will transform our playing style. The Chooks went from the spoon in 2012 to premiers the next year. Putting aside Uncle Nick this was due to a new top coach and good recruitment. Nobody rated the riff at the start of this year as their form in 20 was ordinary and their roster was much the same. TB made the difference and now he's our coach. Good times ahead for the Doggies. I think we're a 50% chance for the top 8 in 20 and huge upside in 21 onwards when we clear the deadwood.
We are on the improve and IMO will challenge for the 8 next year but you can't compare the rosters of us in 2009 and the roosters in 2013. The Panthers have the best young juniors in the NRL so they were always going to be successful with good recruitment. Their missing piece was a quality hooker which they found in Api. We have made a few good signings but we need our young halves to develop and recruit a hooker, fullback and forward leader to compete for top 4.

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
That is a crazy amount of deadwood. Barrett and the board are doing a massive overhaul of the roster.
We still have a lot of ''deadwood', but don't get me wrong, after 40+ years supporting the Bulldogs, I support all the players but there are some I like because they are 'Bulldog Players', however, are they Championship winning players? NO!

There is nothing more I would like to see than a rampaging Renouf To'omaga bursting through the defense and scoring the first try of Grand Final 2021... but... in reality is that going to happen? Sadly, not.

Clearly Georgallis, Pay or Hasler didn't have the skill to ignite players like To'omaga and sadly let players like Finucane go, hopefully Barrett can turn around this saddening culture that has fallen upon Belmore.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are on the improve and IMO will challenge for the 8 next year but you can't compare the rosters of us in 2009 and the roosters in 2013. The Panthers have the best young juniors in the NRL so they were always going to be successful with good recruitment. Their missing piece was a quality hooker which they found in Api. We have made a few good signings but we need our young halves to develop and recruit a hooker, fullback and forward leader to compete for top 4.
Yes the roster in 2009 was better especially in the spine positions. However we have a considerably better coach with current form and still on the rise and his decisions so far has been spot on. Moore had a great first year but fizzled out, his coaching was generic and he was an ordinary half. TB is in different league and his leadership and direction will enable us to rebuild far quicker than standard. I think we'll finish somewhere between 6 and 10 next year and regular top 6 after the cleanout at the end of next year.