News Bulldogs premiership window chances

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
2021 - Outside the 8 but improvement.
2022 - Top 8 contenders but not sure if we make it.
2023 - Top 8 and possibly top 4.
2024 onwards - Constant premiership contender.

Premiership windows and rebuilds are bullshit in my opinion once you have your house in order and manage the roster and cap well with a junior pipeline there isn't any reason you can't compete for the title every year.
Junior pipeline? Ahhh no. Many teams have better pipelines than the Dogs. With every team looking to improve their roster year on year and us not having a good pipeline or talent identification protocols in recent times...we must buy more established players. This costs us more to put a competitive roster on the park. So more like:
2021 maybe around 15th
2122 around 8 to 10
2023 between 6 and 10
2024 around 4 to 6th

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Junior pipeline? Ahhh no. Many teams have better pipelines than. With every team looking to improve their roster year on year and us not having good pipeline...we must buy more established players. This costs us more to put a competitive roster on the park. So more like:
2021 maybe around 15th
2122 around 8 to 10
2023 between 6 and 10
2024 around 4 to 6th
What are you on about? You can create your own junior pipeline if you have a good scouting system. They don’t all come from the Canterbury Bankstown district. A lot of work was done by Koury when he was a board member to get this in place and it will be working in the next couple of years.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
At the moment we don’t know anything on how we’ll perform over the next few years especially in 2021. Yes, things are looking good from the front office to the coaching staff to the players. We’re hearing all the right beats. But that’s pretty much it really. We haven’t even played a trial game.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the moment we don’t know anything on how we’ll perform over the next few years especially in 2021. Yes, things are looking good from the front office to the coaching staff to the players. We’re hearing all the right beats. But that’s pretty much it really. We haven’t even played a trial game.
The games against Penrith , Melbourne and the Roosters last year showed how far away we are from the top teams. Combined score against us of about 126-16.

But games against teams like the knights and sharks showed we can compete with teams at bottom of the 8. If we get Burton I think it’s 7th to 12th next year. If not it’s 9th to 14th.

The good thing is we are on the improve. I still can’t believe we didn’t pick up the spoon at least once in the past 3 seasons.

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
And then you woke up.

2021 = 10-15
2022 = ~8th
2023 = 4-8
2024 = top 4
2025 = top 4

People are getting way too ahead of their selves. We’ve made a couple good signings, but our team is still largely the same. And while Barrett and co are saying the right things it’s a complete different ballgame on the park.
Don’t forget that we lost 6 games by six points or less.that is with the unfit and no attacking squad we had this year.so I’m looking for improvement in defence,fitness and game management.
I don’t see why we won’t finish in or close to the top 8 next year.I think Barrett will take a lot of players in our squad to the next level.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
What are you on about? You can create your own junior pipeline if you have a good scouting system. They don’t all come from the Canterbury Bankstown district. A lot of work was done by Koury when he was a board member to get this in place and it will be working in the next couple of years.
Our identification processes have been ordinary for 8 years or more. Who was the last identified player from local or other localities ranks that we identified as a 15 to 18 year old and turned into a FG star? Identification of 15/16 year olds now become FG players in 4 to 7 years time. Looking at our juniors we don't have much coming through.
We've decided now accordingly to join with Mounties and put the responsibility of identifying young talent effectively with them. Of course covid hasn't helped, but we don't have that much coming through for Barrett to develop into FG players over the term of his 3 year contact...which means, as we all know, that we need to buy established FG players.
The cap prevents us buying a competitive roster. At best by the end of the next 3 years we will be fringe top 8.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Our identification processes have been ordinary for 8 years or more. Who was the last identified player from local or other localities ranks that we identified as a 15 to 18 year old and turned into a FG star? Identification of 15/16 year olds now become FG players in 4 to 7 years time. Looking at our juniors we don't have much coming through.
We've decided now accordingly to join with Mounties and put the responsibility of identifying young talent effectively with them. Of course covid hasn't helped, but we don't have that much coming through for Barrett to develop into FG players over the term of his 3 year contact...which means, as we all know, that we need to buy established FG players.
The cap prevents us buying a competitive roster. At best by the end of the next 3 years we will be fringe top 8.
Just because they have been ordinary doesn’t mean they always will be I’m not talking about it happening tomorrow there’s already processes in place that improved. There’s at least 3 high quality juniors in the system that have huge potential to be FG star. Topine, Alomoti and Joe O’Neil could be anything it doesn’t mean they will and it doesn’t mean other player won’t come out of the ground too but the club has given itself the best chance of happening now.

The Mounties partnership means absolutely nothing in terms of junior pathways it’s merely a cost saving exercise of not having to foot the costs of a reserve grade set up. All other junior structures are still in place.

Bulldog wazza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Until we hire at least 2 premiership players we have no chance. Nobody on our recruitment list meets that criteria.
Josh Addo Carr has the runs on the board and when Brandon Smiths announced the above will be completed

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
2022 is the year we get on with this
1. Addo-Carr
2. DWZ
3. Hoppa
4. Cotric
5. Okunbor/ maybe someone else
6. Burton
7.Flanagan (Gk)
8. ???
9. ???
10. Thompson
11. Jackson (c)
12. RFM
13. Elliot

14. Averillo
15. Hetherington
16. To’oamaga
17. Ogden

we need Another classy prop a hooker and maybe a winger if we don’t want Okunbor on there and a centre if we want to go with something different instead of hoppa

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Momo could be the centre instead of Hoppa unless we buy a star?(he could end up being really good and we can focus bigger $$$ elsewhere).
Yes may need another winger if DWZ gets the shaft, im hoping Okunbor will develop into a gun, never easy off a reco but hopefully he kicks arse later this year and in '22.
Throughout the this year we will determine if the forwards need a star boost I'd be prepared to wait on that.
A really good 9 as agreed by most is our no 1 priority right now.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
2022 is the year we get on with this
1. Addo-Carr
2. DWZ
3. Hoppa
4. Cotric
5. Okunbor/ maybe someone else
6. Burton
7.Flanagan (Gk)
8. ???
9. ???
10. Thompson
11. Jackson (c)
12. RFM
13. Elliot

14. Averillo
15. Hetherington
16. To’oamaga
17. Ogden

we need Another classy prop a hooker and maybe a winger if we don’t want Okunbor on there and a centre if we want to go with something different instead of hoppa
Brandon Smith and Emre Guler. I'd line up the team differently (definitely including Averillo in the 13) but them 2 for sure.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Momo could be the centre instead of Hoppa unless we buy a star?(he could end up being really good and we can focus bigger $$$ elsewhere).
Yes may need another winger if DWZ gets the shaft, im hoping Okunbor will develop into a gun, never easy off a reco but hopefully he kicks arse later this year and in '22.
Throughout the this year we will determine if the forwards need a star boost I'd be prepared to wait on that.
A really good 9 as agreed by most is our no 1 priority right now.
We don't need to replace Hopoate for the sake of it. He's been one of our best over the last couple of years. He's a very solid centre.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dont disagree, If we got Momo and he worked out we probably dont renew an aging Hoppa though do we? Or maybe DWZ goes one likely has to if Momo was a success is my point...big IF obviously as he hasnt even been signed :laughing:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Dont disagree, If we got Momo and he worked out we probably dont renew an aging Hoppa though do we? Or maybe DWZ goes one likely has to if Momo was a success is my point...big IF obviously as he hasnt even been signed :laughing:
You're probably right if we were to get Momo (that rumours gone a little cold) and he did a really good job filling in until Okunbor returns from injury. I'd prefer moving DWZ on but might not be possible without contributing too much.

Killara DogStat

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hi I posted this on another topic about 6 months ago.

If we can get a decent hooker & 2 juniors coming through like Averillo then we can be top 8 2022
Top 4 2023
Premiers 2024

Now for the stats from the past

Every decade ending with year 4

1974 Runner up in Grand Final
1984 Premiers against Eels
1994 Runner up against Canberra
2004 Premiers against Easts
2014 Runners up against Souths
2024 Premiers against ???

Every 10 years we make GFinal ending in 4 & alternate 10 years we win it!!!

Believe in the maths & science!!!