Bulldogs pre-season: What Dogs have to work on ahead of season 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadiwrx

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
THE Bulldogs are back.

Well, they’re back at training.

After a disappointing end to their 2016 campaign, when they crashed out of the NRL finals on the opening weekend, Des Hasler’s men will hit the ground running on Tuesday ahead of 2017 when they kick off their pre-season training regimen.

Ahead of the Bulldogs’ return to the paddock, we look at five key areas Hasler and his side need to work on over the off-season in our Summer School series.

WHO IS THE NUMBER ONE NO. 1?
Will Hopoate had a strong season at fullback in his first season at Canterbury, exceeding expectations as a reliable and classy operator at the back.

However, his decision to not play on Sundays makes it difficult to commit to him as a player in the spine — the team would no doubt struggle for cohesion with the rapid changes.

Brett Morris came to the club to play fullback but only did so in one game last season due to injury.

Given the extenuating circumstances around Hopoate and the lack of depth at centre, Morris seems like the smart choice to start at fullback.

Prospect Brad Abbey, who performed well in NSW Cup last season, could also enter the race if he performs well in the pre-season.

William Hopoate had a strong season at fullback for the Bulldogs.

WHO GETS A START IN THE BACKS?
Assuming Hopoate and Josh Morris are in the centres, the Dogs must then choose wingers to replace Sam Perrett and Curtis Rona.

Brenko Lee has joined the club from Canberra and seems set to start on the right wing outside Hopoate while Melbourne junior and fellow recruit Richie Kennar is the most notable contender to partner Morris on the left.

Tyrone Phillips will also be in the equation after a handful of NRL matches over the past two seasons.

Brenko Lee has joined the Bulldogs from the Raiders. Picture: Kym Smith

WHAT TO DO WITH MICHAEL LICHAA?
Michael Lichaa was touted as the next Robbie Farah during his time with the Sharks but he is either unwilling, unable or not allowed to show those playmaking skills for Canterbury. Teammates twice berated Lichaa on the field last season for his sloppy service from dummy half and while he is a stout defender, his attacking skills have evaporated completely.

Hasler must make a decision regarding his hooker — given Canterbury have such a large pack, embracing a quick dummy half seems like a no-brainer — and has a possible replacement for Lichaa joining the club in former Raider Zac Woolford.

Michael Lichaa’s attacking output has dropped off for the Bulldogs. Picture: Gregg Porteous

SHOULD THEY CHANGE HOW THEY PLAY?
The Bulldogs’ meek end to the season raised serious questions over their viability as premiership contenders.

Is their monstrous pack an outdated relic?

Do props James Graham and Aiden Tolman have too many touches, particularly in the attacking 20?

Are halves Moses Mbye and Josh Reynolds good enough to lead the team around the park?

In truth, there are a litany of uncertainties that surround the Bulldogs this season and how they address these issues over the summer could define their future for years to come.

Is Moses Mbye the man to lead the Bulldogs around the park?

WILL DES HASLER ROLL THE DICE?
Des Hasler escaped the sack by the skin of his teeth and despite his track record and strong performances with Canterbury (five finals appearances and two grand finals from five seasons is nothing to turn your nose up at) he is under real pressure in 2017.

Will he try and reinvent the wheel and alter the way his team plays or will he double down on what has worked in the past?

Will coach Des Hasler change the way the Bulldogs play for 2017? Picture: Gregg Porteous

PREDICTED TEAM FOR ROUND 1, 2017
1. Brett Morris 2. Richie Kennar 3. Josh Morris 4. Will Hopoate 5. Brenko Lee 6. Josh Reynolds 7. Moses Mbye 8. Aidan Tolman 9. Michael Lichaa 10. James Graham 11. Josh Jackson 12. Greg Eastwood 13. David Klemmer 14. Sam Kasiano 15. Raymond Faitala-Mariner 16. Danny Fualalo 17. Renouf To’omaga

Des Hasler is a crazy man in the best possible way and it’s difficult to predict what he’ll do with his squad over the next couple of months, but there seems to be little room within the existing roster for mass alterations. There is a vacancy on the bench and Renouf To’omaga, D’Rhys Miller and Adam Elliott are all likely in contention for the final spot but the starting pack seems set in stone. Unless something dramatic happens over the off-season we can expect Canterbury to roll with a similar line up to 2016.

Source

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Is their monstrous pack an outdated relic? Yes

Do props James Graham and Aiden Tolman have too many touches, particularly in the attacking 20? Yes

Are halves Moses Mbye and Josh Reynolds good enough to lead the team around the park? No

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
"Given the extenuating circumstances around Hopoate and the lack of depth at centre, Morris seems like the smart choice to start at fullback."

HAHAHAHAHA WHO THE FUCK WROTE THIS GARBAGE??? In what universe is Brett the smart choice at fb? hahah fucking twats. Ohh and we have no depth at centre? YOU JUST NAMED 2 CENTRES ON THE WING FFS???

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Bmoz at full back is a bad idea he won't last .
Ffs leave Bmoz on the wing and put flopa or even lee at fullback .
Bmoz scored 7 trys in 3 game on the wing and lasted 10 minutes in 1 game at fullback.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
They need to work on not being the fattest fucks calling themselves a forward pack for 2017

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
unfortunately Hopoate is our only and best choice at fullback.....even with his Sundays off

this is how bad our second best fullback is ...who ever it is.

B Moz would go for another season ending injury if he is put at fullback. leave him at wing where he belongs.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If bmoz plays fb, i give him 3 games until he is out for the season.

1. Abbey (just do it, roll the dice)
2. Bmoz
3. Jmoz (outside reynolds)
4. Hoppa (outside mbye)
5. Lee
6. Reynolds
7. Mbye
9. Lichaa

That is our best hope of making anywhere near the 8.

If abbey fails. Then put hoppa back there, lee to centre and kennar on wing

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If bmoz plays fb, i give him 3 games until he is out for the season.

1. Abbey (just do it, roll the dice)
2. Bmoz
3. Jmoz (outside reynolds)
4. Hoppa (outside mbye)
5. Lee
6. Reynolds
7. Mbye
9. Lichaa

That is our best hope of making anywhere near the 8.

If abbey fails. Then put hoppa back there, lee to centre and kennar on wing
Agree with all except for lichaa can't handle one more minute of his shittness

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeh i know. But who else is there loll
Let's give Woodford a crack an unknown but can't be much worse surely.. I rate lichaa as the worst number 9 we've ever had his passing and even running (if you can. Call it that, looks like he is tripping over his feet) are non existent and embarrassing

Last edited:

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
If Abbey doesn't get a run I reckon he'll bail before mid season. Wonder how much we are paying the kid to play reserves when we have the god fearer refusing to play Sunday's.

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Why not play Tyrone Phillips at fullback ? He has played there before coming through the grades and has more pace than most of our back line. Abbey should be blooded on the wing then shifted to fullback if and when he is ready. Bmoz back to wing outside Jmoz where they can do the most damage. Kennar needs to prove himself and Lee is a strong runner and should have first crack over hoppa.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why not play Tyrone Phillips at fullback ? He has played there before coming through the grades and has more pace than most of our back line. Abbey should be blooded on the wing then shifted to fullback if and when he is ready. Bmoz back to wing outside Jmoz where they can do the most damage. Kennar needs to prove himself and Lee is a strong runner and should have first crack over hoppa.
Philips has terrible hands. When I first saw him play I thought it was a concentration thing and he will grow out of it.

But he has never gotten better.

And I'm not just saying for dropping bombs. The guy drops easy passes too. If Philips is our starting fullback we have big problems.

He is a decent back up. He runs hard and can make some decent meters in attack. So is a very handy back up. But if we are starting him in a key position like fullback means we won't have a hope for 2017.

I know I have been a big mbye to fullback supporter but it's the only improvement we have over hoppa. As a starting play maker he lacks creativity. But as a fullback I think his vision and passing game will be utilised better.

But then again it comes down to the coach and the structure to how a team plays. And we are so far behind the other teams with our structure and set plays that I doubt even Thurston, Cronk and smith could walk into our team and play under it successfully.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
And looking at the predicted starting team for 2017.... shit we are looking slim. We are so short on the bench. I guess fine might come onto it. But apart from Kas our bench has no experience at all.

I didn't want to turn this into another bag Hasler thread but a lot falls down to him and how he recruited.

I would say we are the only team that has not improved our team heading into 2017. Super coach???? Even Bellamy is looking at carney yet des buys Cleeland? I don't get it.

The only thing I can think of is if woolford gets a bench spot. Might be the reason he didn't bring in another player.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Abbey is to be fullback, surely some time on the wing in the top grade is necessary? Or is he below average on the wing?

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sick of Des thinking he can develop wingers into fullbacks. Bring Abbey in we have nothing to lose! If he is not physically ready for a full season then bring him in for 10 games or something he needs to get the experience. Moore used Barba off the bench to ease him into 1st grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.