Bulldogs officially grant Faitala-Mariner permission to negotiate with rival clubs

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
pretty much I feel he overstepped his mark as a player and captain. Instead of leading the club and it’s culture. Remember we have missed out on finals for 7 years so changing the culture to suit where we want to be has angered a lot of the players. Juniors however see this as a opportunity to come into first grade and show us why they have the bulldogs dna
I think its just as likely its about his form. Hes had excuses with injury woes, but hasnt come back with the impact he had a few years ago. Its kinda like "meh" if he left now.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yeah but things change and the truth is likely somewhere in the middle. RFM was re-signed in July 2022 for 2023-25. Ciraldo was announced in August 2022. Pre-season must’ve gone OK for RFM to be made Club Captain but something has clearly derailed during 2023 - can’t be all one way traffic either way.
I agree, I just find the whole "training too hard" narrative that has been pushed absolutely ridiculous and can't believe so many of our fans have happily taken the bait. RFM is a bloke that faced retirement due to injury but busted his gut to get back on the field and overcame numerous setbacks, but we're supposed to believe he didn't want to train hard? Na, no chance.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just hit ignore on Polly Power because he said Nasheed contributed a good post. That was without reading Nasheeds ignored post - it that too harsh! If people on here keep responding to the trolls the Kennel will die a slow death - please use the ignore option

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, I just find the whole "training too hard" narrative that has been pushed absolutely ridiculous and can't believe so many of our fans have happily taken the bait. RFM is a bloke that faced retirement due to injury but busted his gut to get back on the field and overcame numerous setbacks, but we're supposed to believe he didn't want to train hard? Na, no chance.
Correct. He was signed to a 3 year deal in July 2022 despite a history of injury issues including one where surgery didn't work and nearly forced into retirement. He made it back against all odds. He was made Club Captain in January 2023. He done something right in pre season training to be given that title. A Club Captain is someone who sets good example and good standards. He got it over Fox, Kikau and Reynolds. Immediately after a game news flash comes up RFM given permission to talk to other clubs. Denied of course. Next we see a stream of stories about RFM taking up the concerns of others about training and other negative stories relating to RFM. Club Captain is the link between the players and the coach/chair/admin.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Normally, that would be a fair opinion, yet after multiple years of his body breaking down and requiring long-term rehabilitation, I consider a conservative approach reasonable.
What if we signed him to another 3-year contract and he broke down...again?
We would look like absolute idiots!
Unfortunately hindsight is a wonderful thing, if we had signed him to a 3 year contract then we would have been much better off. FWIW he only wanted 2 years, he didn't ask for 3.

As I pointed out at the time, the risk was relatively small, because there was the ability to put in place agreement to medically retire in the case of another long term injury.

Always a Bulldog

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I just hit ignore on Polly Power because he said Nasheed contributed a good post. That was without reading Nasheeds ignored post - it that too harsh! If people on here keep responding to the trolls the Kennel will die a slow death - please use the ignore option
Probably another burner account

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah agree, I don’t think it’s that at all (training).
Would love to know what derailed as clearly there’s been a falling out for RFM to be shopped, which strips him of the club captaincy. Not great optics for club or player as no-one appears to be lining up to take him.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yeah agree, I don’t think it’s that at all (training).
Would love to know what derailed as clearly there’s been a falling out for RFM to be shopped, which strips him of the club captaincy. Not great optics for club or player as no-one appears to be lining up to take him.
I think what happened is pretty normal when you consider the fact we had an inexperienced coach and an unsuccessful playing group, put those two things together and when things start going wrong they can suddenly go very wrong, very quickly.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I think what happened is pretty normal when you consider the fact we had an inexperienced coach and an unsuccessful playing group, put those two things together and when things start going wrong they can suddenly go very wrong, very quickly.
Quite possibly, yeah.
Rookie but likely headstrong coach trying to turn the tide and weary playing group tired of failure and thinking they’ve seen it all before. Not a good recipe.

Could be why we’ve shipped so many and trying to bring in players from more successful systems - to better align player and coach attitudes. Just a guess.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Quite possibly, yeah.
Rookie but likely headstrong coach trying to turn the tide and weary playing group tired of failure and thinking they’ve seen it all before. Not a good recipe.

Could be why we’ve shipped so many and trying to bring in players from more successful systems - to better align player and coach attitudes. Just a guess.
Ciraldo might need to have a chat with Big Ange

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He hasn’t been the same since Shaun Johnson turned him into a statue.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quite possibly, yeah.

All the signings bar Crichton were not wanted by their clubs and not in their top 13. Crichton left for the coin.

You want winning systems go sign Ivan & Nathan Cleary.

We had the chance last year to sign a premiership winning coach didn't.

We had a dual premiership winning player coaching us last year and didn't look at him for this year.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
So anyone who questions the pile up of pisspoor decision making of those in charge is automaticly labeled a troll now?
Anyone is free to have their opinion but you are advocating for change of leadership with your own agenda, mind you doing a terrible job being proven wrong time and time again. Then a new account created last week likes all your commentary and blindly agrees with it all :tearsofjoy: pretty obvious and desperate

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
All the signings bar Crichton were not wanted by their clubs and not in their top 13. Crichton left for the coin.

You want winning systems go sign Ivan & Nathan Cleary.

We had the chance last year to sign a premiership winning coach didn't.

We had a dual premiership winning player coaching us last year and didn't look at him for this year.
Sigh. Same old story.

Everyone knows how little talent was available with the 17th team, rise in cap and most clubs locking up their talent until at least 2025.

You and your stablemates @04 Dreaming @Nasheed @Foxalldayeveryday and @lovemachine don’t know how much Critta is getting paid either.

Signing Ivan and Nathan? OK :tearsofjoy:.
You’re referring to Potter as head coach?
Haven’t seen any other club snap him up including one of his old clubs - instead they went with Flange Sr (who I assume you were referring to first up) and as a bonus they got his son - so dual bullets dodged.

But thanks and stuff :-).

ShepardDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man i just want RFM gone i'm sick of him idc what his story is I just want all the people that had the loser mentality out of the club and he is one of them.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Biggest broom at Penrith came 2019 Ivan Cleary returned he removed so much on & off field baggage.
And replaced them with the juniors Gould & Ciraldo had been nurturing through the grades for years …

That was on the cusp of happened whether Cleary Snr returned or not …

He was bought back for 1 reason … to stop him stealing his son and others over to the Tigers …