Reaction score
Bulldogs official quits over fake email scandal
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

* Font size: Decrease Increase
* Email article: Email
* Print article: Print

By Ray Chesterton

February 14, 2008 12:00am

BULLDOGS media boss Chris O'Brien dramatically quit last night after being exposed as the sender of a libellous email under a false name about board member Ray Dib to the media to influence Sunday's club elections.

Confronted by overwhelming evidence of his scandalous ploy and knowing he was about to be exposed by The Daily Telegraph, O'Brien was left with no choice but to resign immediately.

O'Brien sent the emails from his home computer under the name "Ronnie Younis" to The Daily Telegraph and other media organisations. He was unavailable for comment last night.

The email falsely linked Mr Dib to an ICAC inquiry, inferring he was involved in a hearing into bribes being paid to secure building licences.

Mr Dib is now taking legal action against O'Brien and says the email jeopardises his chances of retaining his position at Sunday's election.

It is another explosive chapter of what has become a poisonous election battle between groups of individuals who used to be friends and teammates.

Bulldogs CEO Malcolm Noad was careful with his words last night but confirmed O'Brien had resigned yesterday, effective immediately.

"From our investigation it seems only one person was involved," he said, "It is very disappointing."

Noad was "absolutely" and "categorically" adamant that no one on the Bulldogs board was involved in the disgrace.

No reason has been advanced for O'Brien's actions.

The evidence against O'Brien became undeniable after Mr Dib spent thousands of dollars to secure evidence that established the original source of the damaging email.

A fuming Mr Dib said last night he had never been contacted by ICAC, had never been asked to give evidence and had not been involved in any of its hearings.

He had been talking about other matters to a friend whose phone was bugged by ICAC.

"I went there (ICAC) as a spectator," he said, "I was never called. That is why this is all so damaging."

Mr Dib said independent forensic testing established that the email was sent from the same home computer that O'Brien uses to send club news to media outlets.

The "same computer . . . was used to send both emails," said the report from Forensic Digital Services.

"I called (Bulldogs) chairman Dr George Peponis and demanded the immediate termination of Mr O'Brien's employment and for a full investigation as to whether any other employee or officer of the Bulldogs is implicated in the smear upon my good character and that of my family," Mr Dib said.

"I have also told my lawyers to immediately commence civil proceedings for damages against those responsible for the false and slanderous email."

The latest upheaval adds to the turmoil at the Bulldogs as they approach an election day rife with venom and name-calling.

Two rival tickets are running for control of the nine-man board with all positions seemingly up for grabs except chairman, where George Peponis is unopposed.

Mr Dib, a financial advisor who employs 50 people, said the stress of the elections was affecting everyone.

"It is taxing on the players and their families and the supporters as well as my own family and staff," he said.

Dib suggested it was time a general truce was called ending the acrimony and making unity a target, especially for the families of the club's former stars the Hughes and the Mortimers.

"It's time to get everyone back under the same banner," he said.

"George Peponis has been outstanding as chairman but he deserves to have the full support of a united board."

Fellow candidate for a place on the Bulldogs board Paul Dunn said Mr Dib had been a hard working member who had brought $1.3m in sponsorship to the club.

Additional reporting Andrew Chesterton

Source: The Daily Telegraph

doctr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
far out...anything else want to happen??

B

BULLDOG GEORGE

maybe noad will get implicated in this never know this guy was supporting the noad camp nothing will surprise me. the gloves have been off for quite a while in this boardroom battle.

H

HarryHubert

This scandal highlights the desperation by the Noad camp.

MAULEM

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
HA Ha.. i think more will follow.... bad news comes in 3's ;)

MAULEM

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
it also high lighlights the fact that they have no morals...

How can you justify "trying" to ruin Ray Dib reputation?? I hope this changes many peoples view about Ray...he is dead set a champion...

DOGGYDOGG

Kennel Established
Reaction score

How can you justify "trying" to ruin Ray Dib reputation?? I hope this changes many peoples view about Ray...he is dead set a champion...
What Chris did was scandalous... and hence he is gone. Doesn't make Dib a champ.

buddman

Serial madman!
Reaction score
One word comes to mind ..... MORON!
Most people know that anything sent from a computer is listed with the computer's I.P. address but obviously Chris didn't think so.

For crying out loud what is going on with this club!?

MAULEM

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What Chris did was scandalous... and hence he is gone. Doesn't make Dib a champ.
how did you come up with that ?.. they acused him of doing wrong and highlited it to the whole world to see... Ray has blatantly denied it saying he has never been involved and that his phone was tapped as he had communications with someone envolved...

The same way all of our phones get tapped..... why dont we make the papers? and have our reputation reuined.?

Ray Dib has done so much for footy in general... his achievments speak for them selfs... he has always been a champ and will always be as he has morals and dosen't have his strings pulled like a puppet... (not mentioning any names CHRIS O'BRIEN)

Although the acusations have damaged his reputation... the fact that this article highlights the wrong doing of Chris it goes a long way in repairing Ray's Image....

D

D0ggyStylz

How the f*ck does this implicate Malcom Noad. From the looks of things Chris did this on his own accord. Perhaps he wants to smear Dib because he knows what type of effect Dib has on our club (a negative one).

I'll say it again. Noad has nothing to do with this with the information we have so far.

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
O'Brien is an absolute dumbass..he should know better, being a PR Manager and all. This just adds more division between camps and causes more publicity for all the wrong reasons.

MAULEM

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
How the f*ck does this implicate Malcom Noad. From the looks of things Chris did this on his own accord. Perhaps he wants to smear Dib because he knows what type of effect Dib has on our club (a negative one).

I'll say it again. Noad has nothing to do with this with the information we have so far.
WILL SEE... lol

TheBearHunter

Guard Dog.
Reaction score
o yeah our once great club is not divided??.... TAKE YOUR ROSE COLOURED GLASSES OFF WE ARE FUKKED ROYALLY ..... the joint is a three part mini series shambles.

our_footy

Waterboy
Reaction score
wow, wotz going on at your footy clubs doggies people

i thought all the action was all meant to happen out on the paddock.

i hope the players are able to concentrate on the footy, good luck my bulldogs m8's

MAULEM

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Dib a negative effect? lol why because he isnt a puppet ? he brought the club $1.5M in sponsorship money last year.... how is that bad ?

This is his resume as the dogs site reads:

Off the field, Mr Dib was a Director and Co-founder of the Lebanon Rugby League and treasurer for the Bankstown Cougars JRLFC. He was the Founder of the Sydney Bulls RLFC (Jim Beam Cup), a member of the NSWRL Management Committee (Jim Beam Cup) and a member of the Bankstown Council CBD Economic Development Task Force

Mr Dib has also been a successful businessman in the finance sector for over 12 years and is the CEO of Dib Financial Group

lol yeah your right.... How negative is that.. SACK himm .. lol..

and to add to all that.. out of all the directors... he has the most repect from the players....

LOL

our_footy

Waterboy
Reaction score
ya all should remember your true mission for '08, that comes in the rooters game doesn't it ;-)

Timmah.

CANTERBURY!!!!!
Reaction score
Well... will the role of Media Manager be advertised now? :D

D

D0ggyStylz

o yeah our once great club is not divided??.... TAKE YOUR ROSE COLOURED GLASSES OFF WE ARE FUKKED ROYALLY ..... the joint is a three part mini series shambles.
But who is in the right? How is anyone to know. There are people on both sides smearing each other. It is fcuked!

Status
Not open for further replies.