Bulldogs No.7 up for grabs, says Folkes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cordz316

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Bulldogs coach Steve Folkes has given halfback Ben Roberts the ultimate incentive - play well against Newcastle on Sunday and the No.7 jumper is yours to keep.

With incumbent Brent Sherwin to miss the opening round of the NRL with an ankle injury, Roberts has been given first crack at the Bulldogs halfback spot.

Sherwin is expected to be available for the round two encounter against Penrith, but Folkes has told Roberts that the jumper is his to lose with Sherwin no certainty to slot straight back in.

"Absolutely (the halfback spot is up for grabs)," Folkes said.

"I think by his own admission (Sherwin's) form the last couple of years hasn't been fantastic, there's been patches of good games but he's been reasonably inconsistent.

"Ben's had four or five games in first grade and did well in all of those, it's certainly a chance for him.

"I guess it depends on him really, how he performs and how the team works with him at halfback and how his combination with Daniel Holdsworth goes."

It's a daunting first up assignment against one of the greatest to ever play the position in Andrew Johns, Roberts admitting he was more than a touch nervous heading into the encounter.

Johns didn't play in either of the Knights two trial matches due to a hamstring injury, but Roberts said he was expecting the champion playmaker to be at his best.

"Growing up and watching him play, it's just a privilege to play against him this week," Roberts said.

"I'm just excited to do that and see how I go against him.

"I'm a bit nervous, but I'm just trying to treat it like I've done every other game I've played."

It's a big year for Roberts, who is also coming off contract at the end of the season.

The Bulldogs have let his management know they are keen to retain him and the 21-year-old wants to stay, but a regular first grade spot is his top priority.

"I'm lucky enough to get a start due to Shifty's (Sherwin's) injury, now I've just got to make the most of it," Roberts said.

"Last year I was just hoping to get a spot in Premier League and maybe debut in the NRL, but this year it's a bit different, I've set a goal to try and get a jersey from one to 17 and here it is.

A strong start to the year may not end with just the Bulldogs No.7 jumper, Roberts keen to add to his one Test cap for New Zealand gained last year.

Doubt still surrounds Stacey Jones' availability for international football, the veteran playmaker reportedly having second thoughts over his representative retirement.

If Jones stays in international retirement Roberts would be in contention with the likes of Thomas Leuluai for the Kiwi halfback spot, the opportunity to line up alongside Benji Marshall in the Anzac Test an exciting proposition.

"There is (a Kiwi jumper on offer) but I try not to think about that too much," Roberts said.

"I suppose I have to play first grade before I get a Kiwi jersey.

"This year I'm just going to aim to get a consistent spot in first grade and if an opportunity with New Zealand comes so be it."

N

nightshadow

Just wondering is this from todays paper? If not could provide the source of the article. I believe you its just something that I feel is always needed. Copyright laws and all that

D

DJ ALMO

awesome article, I hope roberts gets it thats just me though

Toey .H.C.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
theres hardly any good kiwi halves going around

goodluck to him. everyone on the kennel seems sold about roberts being the next long term half..

I'm not sold on him yet.. and by the sounds of things neithier is folkes.

He'll have to have a blinder this week to keep sherwin out

D

DJ ALMO

im sure he will i have a feeling we are going to see some magic of roberts this sunday tbh

houndmeister

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
definatley gets his chance here, he is confident and thats something that Shifty hasn't been in the last few years. He qould be more likely to stay if he had a starting jumper up for grabs.

kebbo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
ever since roberts cut through against the warriors n flick passed to omeley in extra time to win the game in round 18 i think last year he stole my heart :D i hope he does well!

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its a bit of a wake up for Shifty who is not out the picture yet,once his ankle is good Im sure Roberts will have a fight on his hands for the number 7 jersey.

Hammer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to see Folkes is open to change if required

H

Haztrick

Awesome.Hopefully he has an awesome game and secures the #7. Unfortunately, Shiftys best is well behind him and now Roberts is here and hopefully he steps up.

I

In.The.3nd

I want Sherwin to have a crack again this year after last years disaster season i reckon if given another fair shot this year he'll improve immensely but neverthe less good luck to ben roberts.

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
im more confident with sherwin at halfback, 2005 was sherwins worst year by far, and last year was a big improvement from 2005

although i dont mind seen roberts, i know some would say that we cant win the premiership without sherwin, although i would like to see roberts prove them wrong

having said that though, i would prefer sherwin, mainly because of experience.

N

nightshadow

I hope that one of them starts and the other is on the bench when both are fit for most of the season. Both can play hooker and we lose little by dropping either McIllwain or Cleal at the moment to accomidate that move.

Like most people said there best team of 17 will feature Roberts and Sherwin.

Matty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be happy if Roberts stays in the 17 this year. I want Shifty to come back into the 17, but if he can't get his form backk then i'm happy for Roberts to start at halfback. Till then hopefully he impresses enough just to remain in the 17, even if it is coming off the bench to replace corey, or perhaps even starting at hooker.

d_eye

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He hasnt had a bad game yet, and i luv the blokes slick running and stepping.. his kicking game is pretty good too... I dont know who i would prefer as starting half, cause on his day, shifty is a freak...:confused:

B

Ben Godberts

sherwin is hopeless now, he has no speed is injury prone and kicks out on the full bah.
give me roberts any day

Status
Not open for further replies.