Bulldogs: Newcomers Josh Addo-Carr, Brent Naden and Tevita Pangai Jr want to form new left edge in 2022

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs: Newcomers Josh Addo-Carr, Brent Naden and Tevita Pangai Jr want to form new left edge in 2022
The last of Canterbury’s new recruits have arrived at Belmore, armed with a new battle plan to ignite the wooden spooners. See photos from day one here.

Tevita Pangai Jr has dropped a significant hint on the makeup Canterbury’s new-look side after the former Penrith Panther and fellow new recruit Josh Addo-Carr reported for pre-season training.
With the Bulldogs overhaul in full swing, the last of the club’s 10 new recruits for 2022 lobbed at Belmore on Monday, ready to forge a formidable left-side combination.

The Bulldogs finished last season with a left side of winger Corey Allan, centre Aaron Schoupp and Jack Hetherington in the back row.

While Hetherington showed promise on the edge, the left is in for a shake-up with new faces Addo-Carr, Pangai Jr and Brent Naden shaping as the frontrunners for round one against North Queensland.

“I think the plan is to be on the left edge with Brent Naden. I’m not too sure how it will be but Naden wants me there on the left with the Fox [Addo-Carr] as well. But we’ll see how I go,” Pangai Jnr told The Daily Telegraph.

Fresh from his first victory as a professional boxer on Saturday night, Pangai Jnr is currently tipping the scale at around 114 kilograms. The forward, who cut an imposing figure during day one as Bulldog, said he planned to drop even more weight over the summer.

“I’m tipping the scale at 114kg, but I think I need to drop a few more kilos to try and get down to around 110 kilos. If I can get down to 110 kilograms that will set me up nicely for the season,” Pangai Jnr said

As well as Hetherington and Pangai Jnr, other backrow options for coach Trent Barrett include Raymond Faitala-Mariner and Josh Jackson.

Penrith powerhouse and left edge backrower Viliame Kikau will also join Barrett’s roster in 12 months time.

“I’ll just keep it warm for him and then Kikau can have the left edge and I can go back into the middle or onto the right edge,” Pangai Jnr said.

“Kikau was named the backrower of the year, so wherever he wants to play he deserves too. I’ll just play in the middle or right edge, I don’t mind where I play.”

Former Melbourne flyer Addo-Carr confirmed the trio’s quest to claim the left edge over the pre-season.

Addo-Carr and former Panthers centre Naden both hail from the same country town in NSW but have never had the chance to play alongside one another.

“My cousin Brent Naden, he’s the one I’m really looking to playing with, we’re both from a country town, our families, our parents are Wellington NSW, we’re mob,” Addo-Carr said.

“We’ve haven‘t played a footy game with him yet and I can’t wait to rip in with him and the rest of the boys.”

Like Addo-Carr, Pangai Jr is confident the Bulldogs can overcome a wooden place finish in season 2021 to transform into a top eight contender in a matter of a single pre-season.

The former Brisbane and Panthers forward believes the club’s new found stability at the executive level has been crucial to the side’s rebuild.

“Just looking at the club from outside over the last few years, there obviously has been an issue with the board, that was a bit of a mess. But John Khoury [Chairman] and Gus [Gould] have come on board, along with Trent, and I feel like things are turning.” Pangai Jnr said.

“We are recruiting the right cattle, we’ve signed a lot of strike.

“But from my time at Penrith I have learned that defence is everything and Fox would know that as well, Matt Burton too from Penrith would know too … we’ve signed strike but it’s defence that wins competition.”

CANTERBURY BULLDOGS’ POSSIBLE 2022 ROUND 1 TEAM

1. Matt Dufty
2. Nick Cotric
3. Aaron Schoupp
4. Brent Naden
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Matt Burton
7. Jake Averillo
8. Luke Thompson
9. Jeremy Marshall-King
10. Paul Vaughan
11. Tevita Pangai Jr
12. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
13. Josh Jackson

14. Bailey Biondi-Odo
15. Ava Seumanufagai
16. Jack Hetherington
17. Corey Waddell/John Asiata

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Exciting to to think kikau and tpj can be or edges or even if tpj goes in like he said. Sure beats Elliott and Ogden lol

Naden and Jac gonna fire each other up and I can see schooup and cotric doing it too if given the chance.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He wants to unbalance our pack by putting TPJ in the middle. Whether he is better at middle or edge is debatable but facts are we lack strike on the edge so I dont have a problem with it for this year
Middle is more important than the edges.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Ahh fuck you beat my edit lol. But we have enough middles and no strike on the edge.
I get that and it was obvious Trent was going to do it with his whole cookie cutter approach to the side, but it won't work imo. We're just going to end up playing musical chairs again.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
I get that and it was obvious Trent was going to do it with his whole cookie cutter approach to the side, but it won't work imo. We're just going to end up playing musical chairs again.
Trent should relinquish coaching the left side to the quartet that wants to play there. Carr, Naden, TPJ, Burton with Dufty chiming in would instantly become a headache for most opposition. Atleast until they figure out our right side is impotent and start stacking defense on our left lol

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Trent should relinquish coaching the left side to the quartet that wants to play there. Carr, Naden, TPJ, Burton with Dufty chiming in would instantly become a headache for most opposition. Atleast until they figure out our right side is impotent and start stacking defense on our left lol
I'm not sure, I personally don't think that left edge is going to be as dominant as people think. TPJ and Naden aren't known for running a great line from what I've seen and that's something I think we need outside of Burton and inside of JAC. I'm not saying they won't create opportunities or come up with plays from nothing, I just think it's going to be a little too much and we might see them taking each other's space away more often than we'd like rather than complimenting each other.

As I keep saying the team that starts the season isn't going to be the one that finishes it...I expect a few changes a long the way when things don't turn out like Trent expected them to.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
TPJ and Kikau on the edges fmd they might save Flanagans career
Flanagan doesn't deserve to have a chance in the halfback jersey. Maybe if there are 1-2 injuries and he's killing it in reserves (doubt) but he's the worst half at the club. Wakeham even deserves a shot before Flanagan.