News Bulldogs left with Dufty dilemma as contract call approaches

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the club were to extend I would put a clause of a total man of the match points in his contract example if he gets total of 15 points a year he'd get 50k on top of his contract (just an example)

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only superstars get offered early. Peopel here used the same logic when Tolman was unsigned as evidence he was finished. Two years on hes still around and just celebrated game number 300 this weekend and two weeks ago was in Clarke at team of the week!!

People and officials are still watching their own squads.
After origin if Dufty is still playing well you best believe they coming knocking.
The trigger will be whoever Dolphins sign or miss out on. Aka who Walsh and Ponga sign with.

we have breathing space for 3 months only.
Tolman got offered a cut price deal worth a fraction of what he was on with us.

The point is that it’s highly unlikely Dufty will get an NRL gig next year and even if he does it’s even more unlikely he will get more than what he is on with us. You guys are saying he will get $500k next year when there is absolutely nothing to suggest that.

Why didn’t any other club sign him this year ????

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Duffty played bad in a bad game for the whole team, give him a chance before writing him off.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Read is a blowarse. Not a single quote in the article, and lots of personal opinion instead.

Since he's been on NRL 360 the shittiness of journalism from Rothfield, Ritchie, and Kent has rubbed off on Brent Read (whom I used to enjoy as an journo.
There is a quote in the story: Baz saying he's our best fullback and he'll be there next week. Its just that Bent Reed chose to hear the complete opposite.

Yes it was one bad game, players have bad dropsies games from time to time. But it was the repeated complete lack of commitment moments that concern me. I'm assuming he'd been on a bender Fri-Sat and was brain-fogged on Sunday arvo. He was behind the flow of the game all day...even Stimson beat him to a try.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I would re-sign him for a few more years, but only as a centre. The fullback slot belongs to Corey Allan.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Duffty played bad in a bad game for the whole team, give him a chance before writing him off.
there is playing bad and there is not playing .
The dropped balls is not the issue ( yes that’s bad but it’s not what has people worried ) . The issue is the effort in defence and also that Jackson pass where it appears he balked.
The criticism isn’t about so much about errors it’s about perceived effort and deficiencies in defence

Mitchellmoses

Banned
Reaction score
Tolman got offered a cut price deal worth a fraction of what he was on with us.

The point is that it’s highly unlikely Dufty will get an NRL gig next year and even if he does it’s even more unlikely he will get more than what he is on with us. You guys are saying he will get $500k next year when there is absolutely nothing to suggest that.

Why didn’t any other club sign him this year ????
I did address that,
Defensive and attirude concerns coupled with… and this is big….. some covered up behavioural issues.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did address that,
Defensive and attirude concerns coupled with… and this is big….. some covered up behavioural issues.
So what has he changed this year for you to say he will get a $500k contract next year ????

He still has all of those faults you mentioned that ensured he only had one offer this year

Mitchellmoses

Banned
Reaction score
So what has he changed this year for you to say he will get a $500k contract next year ????

He still has all of those faults you mentioned that ensured he only had one offer this year
Everything in the below is on the premise the rest of the season goes as per how it started the first 4 games.
Basically this is how I see it.
There is a dearth of talent in the nrl and teams forgive behaviour very quickly when they need wins.
Whatever happened with Dufty (I remember Nasheed was in the know not me) is known in the nrl world but it’s not public, so it can be overlooked in terms of PR.
He plays well, then he is the top fullback off contract this year, in a comp that is expanding by one.
Then the players are at play.
Dolphins are in Walsh’s ear to agitate for him to come home. Walsh wants that. Warriors do not.
At the same time, they are in Pongas ear, ponga is undecided, his team (knights) want to hold onto him.
Dolphins have an endless supply of cash.
Meanwhile Tigers do not want Diane Laurie for some reason.
Scenario one.
Dolphins manage to pry Reece Walsh away. Warriors have a severe need for a fullback.
They have a history of fast, elusive fullbacks. RTS, Tompkins, Walsh. Aitken.
In a slightly panicked scenario, they scour the market and who do they see? The best fullback off contract who just so happens to be in the mould they seem to like. 500k two year deal and Dufty starts singing the haka.
Option 2.
Walsh stays, Ponga stays. Dolphins left with little choice than to get Dufty.
Option 3.
walsh stays, Ponga leaves. Knights need a elusive fullback in the mould of ponga. Dufty looks best option.
Option 4.
Tigers or tigers competing for the signature whilst all three options happen.
Option 5.
england see the guy as a good marquee buy. They are allowed two non cap players and in my opinion I think Dufty would qualify as a marquee and he gets offered ethnic money in excess of 500 to be Wakefield’s marquee or something. He’s similar to Lachlan Coote who’s made ethnic money over there marquee hopping.

There is also a potential option 6, which seems to happen a lot so odds are decent.
A player gets done kiddy fiddling, smoking, assaulting, smacking their girl up, writing ‘Z’ on a all in public, or a severe Jack Hetherington 12 month injury, meaning any of the other 13 clubs not mentioned above need an instant fullback. In this scenario it’s almost a given the market Ramos yo in needing a ready made, electrifying if not slightly flawed fullback.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everything in the below is on the premise the rest of the season goes as per how it started the first 4 games.
Basically this is how I see it.
There is a dearth of talent in the nrl and teams forgive behaviour very quickly when they need wins.
Whatever happened with Dufty (I remember Nasheed was in the know not me) is known in the nrl world but it’s not public, so it can be overlooked in terms of PR.
He plays well, then he is the top fullback off contract this year, in a comp that is expanding by one.
Then the players are at play.
Dolphins are in Walsh’s ear to agitate for him to come home. Walsh wants that. Warriors do not.
At the same time, they are in Pongas ear, ponga is undecided, his team (knights) want to hold onto him.
Dolphins have an endless supply of cash.
Meanwhile Tigers do not want Diane Laurie for some reason.
Scenario one.
Dolphins manage to pry Reece Walsh away. Warriors have a severe need for a fullback.
They have a history of fast, elusive fullbacks. RTS, Tompkins, Walsh. Aitken.
In a slightly panicked scenario, they scour the market and who do they see? The best fullback off contract who just so happens to be in the mould they seem to like. 500k two year deal and Dufty starts singing the haka.
Option 2.
Walsh stays, Ponga stays. Dolphins left with little choice than to get Dufty.
Option 3.
walsh stays, Ponga leaves. Knights need a elusive fullback in the mould of ponga. Dufty looks best option.
Option 4.
Tigers or tigers competing for the signature whilst all three options happen.
Option 5.
england see the guy as a good marquee buy. They are allowed two non cap players and in my opinion I think Dufty would qualify as a marquee and he gets offered ethnic money in excess of 500 to be Wakefield’s marquee or something. He’s similar to Lachlan Coote who’s made ethnic money over there marquee hopping.

There is also a potential option 6, which seems to happen a lot so odds are decent.
A player gets done kiddy fiddling, smoking, assaulting, smacking their girl up, writing ‘Z’ on a all in public, or a severe Jack Hetherington 12 month injury, meaning any of the other 13 clubs not mentioned above need an instant fullback. In this scenario it’s almost a given the market Ramos yo in needing a ready made, electrifying if not slightly flawed fullback.
My brain hurts