Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Bulldogs lead with tests
By Margie McDonald
December 21, 2004

TWO clubs have introduced random alcohol tests for players since the Bulldogs' sex scandal in Coffs Harbour in February.

The revelations come in the wake of yesterday's release of an NRL-commissioned report into players' attitudes to women, which identified alcohol as an "entrenched" problem in the sport and a contributing factor in attacks on women.

The Bulldogs and Brisbane Broncos have led the way regarding player education and responsibility with alcohol.

After the February 22 incident, when a number of Bulldogs players were accused of assaulting a 20-year-old woman following hours of drinking after a pre-season trial game, the club introduced a drinking education program during the latter half of the season.

"As part of that we have mandatory breath testing now in the recovery session after match day," Bulldogs CEO Malcolm Noad said.

"That's part of the workplace health and safety code we engineered through this year. We also have random breath testing in place at other times."

Police laid no charges in relation to the Coffs Harbour incident. The NRL fined the club $150,000 and suspended a $350,000 fine for bringing the game into disrepute.

The game endured further negative publicity after senior players misbehaved during a NSW Origin team bonding session in Sydney, during which St George Illawarra player Mark Gasnier left an obscene message on a woman's mobile phone.

The NRL released yesterday its commissioned report entitled Playing By the Rules which a University of Sydney research team, headed by Catharine Lumby, looked at player attitudes toward women and the broader issue of women's involvement in the game.

One of the 14 recommendations is that players, like many men in society, need better education and understanding of their social responsibilities and what constitutes sexual harassment or assault.

Although it found players were unanimous that sexual assault of women was wrong, interviews with coaches, players, club staff, CEOs, trainers and women involved in all aspects of the game found heavy alcohol consumption was "entrenched in some quarters of the league".

Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen said he felt alcohol abuse was an issue which could not be allowed to remain unadddressed.

"What we've done since the end of this season and up until now is we've re-written our induction manual and our code of behaviour," Cullen said. "That was introduced to the players before they started pre-season training three weeks ago.

"We're going to be not just randomly drug testing but also randomly alcohol testing, particularly for that day after the game, the recovery session."

He said the adjustment had been made in response to the Bulldogs and Origin players' misbehaviour.

"Certainly the events of 2004 made us all aware and conscious of what needs to be done and the importance of having it up in front of them (players) all the time."

Cullen, along with other CEOs and league management, said dry bonding sessions, pre-season or post-season tours were not the answer.

"You can never say to anyone, particularly in a sport like ours where brewers are our major sponsors, that something will never happen," ARL chief executive Geoff Carr said.

"But it's the responsible consumption of alcohol which is the key to it rather than the banning of it."

He cited the Kangaroos' recent nine-week tour of Britain, France and the US during which no players got into trouble.

"Players now, particularly after what has happened in the last 12 months, have got a real understanding of what their responsibilities are," Carr said.

Melbourne Storm CEO Brian Waldron dealt with drunken player-behaviour at AFL club St Kilda this season before taking up his NRL club post in October.

"It's about taking responsibility yourself. It's not about people standing there - clubs for instances - saying you must do this and you must do that," Waldron said.

"I drove this point at St Kilda and I'll do it here too. I think the NRL has nailed this issue on the head with this report and it's a good thing."

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Im sick of this the News are still treating it like something happened
But News Limited
Its over get over it
the Girls lied the Police found no DNA or evidence that linked them with these lying money hungry ****s

*Doggiez Angel*

Sponsored by Playboy
Reaction score
i dont think some ppl realise what these players have to loose when they accuse them of raping them or whatever ,they have so much at stake and the girls what? their pride? i dunno. Why do u think it happened? Cos she was denied by the BULLDOGS players? Obsessed? What? It's not something u would even lie about, would u?

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Were u guys talking to me? Coz i didnt give mah opinion, I just posted the article.

And I dont believe the dogs players were involved in a rape of any kind.

*Karlz*

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Reaction score
I fell the same. And maybe its just me, but the media was all over the Bulldogs for it, I believe it happened in another sport which was hardly mentioned (at least in the news I saw and read).
Then the salery cap things, Bulldogs arent/werent the only club that did it. Any other club loose all their points?! The media dont like the Bullgogs, so theyll make anything "bad" look even worse. Thats my opinion anyway.
I think the random testing is good, as long as the clubs dont start "punishing" players for havilg alcohol in their system if its not too high.

D

Danish

I think the article was actually written to highlight that the dogs have taken action against this sort of stuff.

As far as the story goes nothing went on at coffs harbour with rape, however they were drinking heavily and also got into a large fight at a club because one of them was hitting on a locals girl.

The dogs clearly recognised that alcohol caused that, and are making sure their players dont write themselves off after games anymore. If anything the article was helping the dogs by highlighting that they are making changes. Most clubs will have this sort of stuff in effect next year i'd say

*Karlz*

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Reaction score
Yeah youre tottally correct. Im just used to the negative stuff by the media. Hopefully 05 will see a change to that :grinning:

A

atomic_crimson

Danish said:
I think the article was actually written to highlight that the dogs have taken action against this sort of stuff.

As far as the story goes nothing went on at coffs harbour with rape, however they were drinking heavily and also got into a large fight at a club because one of them was hitting on a locals girl.

The dogs clearly recognised that alcohol caused that, and are making sure their players dont write themselves off after games anymore. If anything the article was helping the dogs by highlighting that they are making changes. Most clubs will have this sort of stuff in effect next year i'd say
there was no fight and that was stated by the hotel management which sent letters to the bulldogs club, nrl and various media outlets...

and on a lighter note no more clubbin for sonny tonga and reni after games!! lol

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Karlz said:
Yeah youre tottally correct. Im just used to the negative stuff by the media. Hopefully 05 will see a change to that :grinning:

No way the Media still think there are a few Guilty with the way they treat the matter!!!

They should just give journalists badges cause they think they are the law may as well let them have authority

A

atomic_crimson

do you knwo how many people at the gf wearing roosters jumpers were supposedly police officers who worked on the CH case... god if i got a dollar for everyone id be a millionaire!

K

K E

Roosters supporters are every occupation rolled into one.

They are Judges, Policemen/women, Jurys they are also the DPP.

Oh and recently one of these roosters "supporters" was trying to teach me Real Estate. LOL

He knows who he is.................

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Police are sly like cats

when I got back from the City after machine head the night before the GF
they were driving a Penrith city Council gutter sweeper truck !!!!

And when we went around the corner 2 of them were driving a Prospect waterboard truck!!!

Dont ask me why im still trying to work out why!!
anyway what was the Subject again???
Something to do with Journalists calling Craig Sing Matt Sing and Matt Wing matt sing :p

*Karlz*

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Reaction score
Bulldogs1984 said:
No way the Media still think there are a few Guilty with the way they treat the matter!!!

They should just give journalists badges cause they think they are the law may as well let them have authority
I agree, but at least not ALL the stuff in the papers is negative.

And no way in hell would I give any journo control oner anything that mattered. They would have had everyone that had something to do with the doggies thrown in gaol!

*Karlz*

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Reaction score
Bulldogs1984 said:
anyway what was the Subject again???
Something to do with Journalists calling Craig Sing Matt Sing and Matt Wing matt sing :p

lol. Thats just confusing.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Danish said:

The only thing i'd like to correct (yes there is only one thing :grinning:) is the fight outisde the club which was vigorously denied by the club and backed up by the hotels licensee who even wrote a letter supporting the fact he and his staff saw no fights and no dogs players making any trouble all night.

Last edited by a moderator:

lockyer

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I dont see anything wrong with responsible drinking.

Cammo

Bulldogs Tragic
Reaction score
Have you been hiding under a rock Danish? That whole fight incident was proven false even before The Dogs players were cleared.

No wonder people still think the wrong thing about the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.