Status
Not open for further replies.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
When Oates is good, he's very good. When he's bad, he's shocking. He's been pretty shocking all year and wouldn't be worth the money he'd be after for that kind of inconsistency.
I can forgive him due to his lack off quality service from his makeshift halves.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Why? His ball playing is rubbish and if it doesn't improve then we need to look at other options.
I'm happy for him to stay there ATM but there is absolutely no reason why he should be there post 2020 imo. Can still run hard on kick returns from the wing.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'm happy for him to stay there ATM but there is absolutely no reason why he should be there post 2020 imo. Can still run hard on kick returns from the wing.
Think he could also do a job at centre...anyway he has this coming season to improve, if he can do that then great and that's one less thing to worry about.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
He would be a great buy for us for sure.

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm over Oates. He can take a pay cut to stay with his beloved Broncos...
Agree. He was alright like a few seasons ago. He is so out of form atm and can’t see him improving at the dogs. Plus he has rejected us a few times before. Dogs will be dumb to get him

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This will be a long offseason. Let's just get a thread up and running about the three players we aren't linked to yet so the media can start the right rumour.

Tomorrow's leading football story. "The Bulldogs have identified that the key to becoming the most devastating NRL team in modern times lies in signing every player registered in the top 30 at each of their 14 opposing clubs. Negotiations are underway. But the club is expected to announce 420 new signings by the end of the week."

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oates would only sign for the money , I don't see that sort of value in him. Still think there will be plenty of player movement over the offseason so we can afford to be patient.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Oates would only sign for the money , I don't see that sort of value in him. Still think there will be plenty of player movement over the offseason so we can afford to be patient.
Of course
Unless you come thru at a club, players only leave for money
What a dumb comment

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dogs would be stupid to throw silly money at either Oates or BJ. This would almost be a lifeline for them both. Their clubs don’t want them at the money they are asking so why should we pay them more than they are worth. Cut price deals or move along and keep looking for either the next big thing or get these clubs to release theirs instead of selling us their scraps

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im not sure why people or upset that we are targeting these sort of signings. ITS THE POSITION WE ARE IN!!!!!!!!!!!!! other clubs are only really going to look to offload established players so they dont risk losing the young talent coming through. some people on here arent going to be satisfied unless we sign the full Australian test team...... Put it this way, if at the start of this year you were told that we were going to sign 2/3 of the following players for our backline for 2020 DWZ, Oates and BJ. I know me personally i would be stoked to get 2 of these players on our books. It makes us stronger to have genuine first graders in our squad for the next couple of years and if our junior development / recruitment starts coming through 2020/21 we will be a strong club again

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If we sign Oats surely we have to release some outside backs.

Hopefully Montoya & Hoppa.

It seems like its all happening if true.
I would like to keep Smith and Meaney on the wings. That would give Oates an option to play centre.
Hes a big tall guy and would make a good centre. His form at the Broncs is average this year,
but his team mates havnt stood up at all and have to take some responsibility.
A change of location would also improve his mindset and his performances.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If I wanted a hands-for-feet sloth, I would have brought 2003 Willie Mason out of retirement.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why? His ball playing is rubbish and if it doesn't improve then we need to look at other options.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, from what I observed, his kick returns and positional play were the biggest influences in our resurgence.

I think we found our permanent fullback.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I wanted a hands-for-feet sloth, I would have brought 2003 Willie Mason out of retirement.
I think its actually 'feet for hands' or 'hands like feet'

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, from what I observed, his kick returns and positional play were the biggest influences in our resurgence.

I agree. Best FB since Barba and completely turned us from crap to finishing the season with confidence and now people want to move him. I would not move DWZ unless we signed something at FB nothing short of God. This place gives me involuntary head shakes!

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oates is probably at the time in his career where he should move to the 2nd Row. Not that we need a newbie backrower of course.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

I've said before that plenty of areas of his game are well suited to fullback, but ball playing is just so crucial to the role now and he lacks plenty in that regards. The difference between him and Hoppa sweeping around in a backline move is massive right now.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I've said before that plenty of areas of his game are well suited to fullback, but ball playing is just so crucial to the role now and he lacks plenty in that regards. The difference between him and Hoppa sweeping around in a backline move is massive right now.
Yeah there's a reason he didn't get a sustained go in the 1 at the Panthers, really needs to focus on his ball playing in the off season.

If only we could put Hoppa's hands onto DWZ, we'd have a complete fullback.

Status
Not open for further replies.