Bulldogs Jersey Flegg - We are the CHAMPIONS!!!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Get used to it mate, you will be thanking lots well into the future
Just watched the game. Taafe pretty darn good. A big effort player. Read the comments and Bunnies fans real sorry they've lost him.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Both Todd n hopoi have been good, Marshall I believe is eligible for two more years of flegg, Montgomery maybe another year. All workers.
Marshall needs to play half a season in Flegg and one and a half seasons in NSW cup. He's a good kid, but from what I've seen of him I get the feeling he's one of those younger players that doesn't yet realise how big he is and how destructive he can be.

scottywilson

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What are the stats on how many of these young men go on to have decent nrl careers wide arse guess would be around 10% competition wide make it based on names that I’ve seen thru over the last 40 odd years.
Anyone know who the big unit on crutches leading the team song at the team photo was ?
Bayley Cox

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Didn't watch it all but from what I saw Johanson looked pretty good in the final.
Anyone know how h went for the year.

Anyway you could telthese guys trained hard lol. They played fast and looked fit.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Avo heaps better
They'll both have their chances with their new teams next year. Will be interesting to see how they both perform in a new environment and under a new coach. All the best to both of them.

Scoobs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
NSW Cup spine for next year hopefully so they can form a combo for the future:

1. Joash Papali'i
6. Karl Oloapu
7. Joseph O'Neil
Is o'neill the young guy who has to choose between league and Afl? Or is that the harold matts half?

Scoobs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
At the game, surprising a good crowd. Harry Hayes easily MOM. Involved in two tries & scored one. Should great hands & timing. Tackled well & made meters. Equally impressive last match. Johansen has had another cracker of a game as a replacement. Good footwork & has a good offload. Jack Todd toiled hard all match. KO & Papalii has quiet games the 1st half & played better in the 2nd half. KO plays a much better traditional 5/8 role in Jersey Flegg. (Suspect different coaching instruction. O'Neil was busy without being too flash. Managed the game well in the final 5 minutes pinpoint kicks into the corner. Needs to get greater depth in his kicks, I am sure he will be working on that.
Agree on o'neill, no hero plays but his kicking in the last 20 minutes was what we needed. Trapped them in their 20m line corner 3 or 4 times.

Scoobs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think you have to watch the full season to be sure mate. I watched about 6-8 Flegg games this year. IMO there is the obvious KO, Papali’i , Marshall & O’Neil. I’d like to see more of Hipoi, Harry Hayes has potential still needs to fill out a bit.

And up front also Zac Montgomery, Tim Johanssen and Jack Todd were all Impressive at times and worth keeping an eye on. Some others who watched more games might add a bit more to that. A lot the above mentioned guys are only young too and qualify to play Flegg again if needed.
Haven't watched enough but i thought Gabrael showed some potential. Has a hard running style, reminded me a bit of a smaller bodied Jesse Ramien.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Haven't watched enough but i thought Gabrael showed some potential. Has a hard running style, reminded me a bit of a smaller bodied Jesse Ramien.
Both Gabrael brothers have a lot of speed - pretty sure Michael is signed for next year not sure about Danny. Neither are big bodies - improvement in Danny;s tackling has been significant - someone has coached him well

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Something to cheer us up, Jersey Flegg Premiers, congratulations to all involved.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Is o'neill the young guy who has to choose between league and Afl? Or is that the harold matts half?
Woods from Harold Matthews.

Malla

Reaction score
Marshall needs to play half a season in Flegg and one and a half seasons in NSW cup. He's a good kid, but from what I've seen of him I get the feeling he's one of those younger players that doesn't yet realise how big he is and how destructive he can be.
Agreed. I get young Taupau vibes from him for sure.

Malla

Reaction score
I have watched this group of boys all season. They were good all year, but I noticed a big shift when O'Neill and Karl played together towards the end of the season and in the finals. Both really benefited from time spent in NSW Cup and first grade (KO).

I honestly think Joe has what it takes to be our half for the next decade. Even when he stepped up in NSW Cup, small things like kicking to corners, communication and talk in attack and defense. He's so competitive.

Karl for me is going to be an exceptional ball playing lock for us but I honestly think he will be known for his defence in first grade more so than his attack. He hits so hard. There are a number of players in Flegg that were trying not to run at him. Chops blokes in half.

Anyway, it is now up to Gus and CC to make sure they identify who from this crop of boys will make the step up into first grade over the next 3-5 years.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I have watched this group of boys all season. They were good all year, but I noticed a big shift when O'Neill and Karl played together towards the end of the season and in the finals. Both really benefited from time spent in NSW Cup and first grade (KO).

I honestly think Joe has what it takes to be our half for the next decade. Even when he stepped up in NSW Cup, small things like kicking to corners, communication and talk in attack and defense. He's so competitive.

Karl for me is going to be an exceptional ball playing lock for us but I honestly think he will be known for his defence in first grade more so than his attack. He hits so hard. There are a number of players in Flegg that were trying not to run at him. Chops blokes in half.

Anyway, it is now up to Gus and CC to make sure they identify who from this crop of boys will make the step up into first grade over the next 3-5 years.
I’m probably just getting carried away with the win etc but I’m more keen on the forwards coming through.

Hayes, Smith and Vale. Get abit of a Liam Martin vibe from them. Not the usual 6’3 backrower but hard as fuck and work.

Todd has always impressed me but this Johannssen kid was great yesterday too.