Bulldogs Jersey Flegg - We are the CHAMPIONS!!!

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
How fuckn good. Complete shutout of the minor premiers. One more to go boys. Will def be watching the highlights later

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great performance from the boys ... a real old-fashioned Bulldogs semifinal performance, featuring swarming, stinging defense .... forcing The Roosters into error, time after time. They were rattled.

The entire team were terrific, but the forwards were superb, they took on and beat a much bigger pack ... special mentions to Todd and Marshall who both look to have big futures ahead of them. Marshall reminds me very much of a young Cam Murray .... only 18 to boot.

Make no mistake, the Jersey Flegg comp is the real deal, and we have a very talented team who should win if we play to our potential .... Joash and KO are a level above this grade.

Factor in Matts and the club is in way better shape than given credit for.

Well done to Gus and co.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The roosters were a lot bigger in the forwards - Marshall has a great front on tackling technique - lots of genuine workers in the forwards - not sure how much more growing they have and what more they can offer in attack.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great performance from the boys ... a real old-fashioned Bulldogs semifinal performance, featuring swarming, stinging defense .... forcing The Roosters into error, time after time. They were rattled.

The entire team were terrific, but the forwards were superb, they took on and beat a much bigger pack ... special mentions to Todd and Marshall who both look to have big futures ahead of them. Marshall reminds me very much of a young Cam Murray .... only 18 to boot.

Make no mistake, the Jersey Flegg comp is the real deal, and we have a very talented team who should win if we play to our potential .... Joash and KO are a level above this grade.

Factor in Matts and the club is in way better shape than given credit for.

Well done to Gus and co.
I’d say! Where are the Gus haters eh? He has done exactly what we hired him to do and then some. HM boys are premier and Flegg are a game away from doing the same.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Gould on several episodes of 100% Footy and 6 Tackles with Gus expounded on the reasons for the moving of players up down through the levels ……………..

Rugby league may be a simple game but finding the players able to play at a high, consistent NRL level is not that simple. I had the opportunity to sit at a dinner table with a well credentialed NRL recruiter that has worked for a number of clubs and we talked about what being an NRL level player really means. He also said we should never underestimate the effect of not playing during important development years due to Covid restrictions.

Physically NRL Level players have to be able to;
1. Play at a high level in both attack and defence
2. Play at that high level for long minutes in the game, particularly sustained defence.
3. Take the physical punishment, overcome the fatigue and play game after game, week in week out, for a whole season.

Mentally they have to be able to;
4. Play at a high level in both attack and defence
5. Play at that high level for long minutes in the game, particularly sustained defence.
6. Handle the mental strain and play game after game week in week out, for a whole season.

Plenty of players can handle 2 or 3 of the above, not many can handle 4 or 5 and even fewer can handle all 6.

We see this not only with the mature NRL players but particularly with the younger players. They can handle the NRL level physicality for a few games but then their bodies start to fail and they get injured. Often they back off in training trying to save themselves for games, but that just results in a lower level of fitness. Often they can't handle the mental strain, they hold up for couple of games and then they lose concentration and make errors that they wouldn't normally make.

This is what pathways development is all about, recognising that a young player has the abilities to play NRL but also acknowledge that they can't handle it week after week, physically and/or mentally. Often dropping them back to NSW Cup Level isn't enough, they need to go back to playing in their age group, whilst working not just on their fitness, they often still train a couple of days a week with the NRL team. But also working on their resilience, learning how to recover and prepare mentally and physically to do it all again the next game. NSW Cup has a large proportion of hardened NRL players, quality back ups, senior players and as result some games are pretty physical not much below NRL level

Look around at our young guys, who spent a few games playing NRL, moved down to NSW Cup and then played Jersey Flegg or SG Ball, where they aren't playing against grown men with many years of playing experience. They are learning about themselves physically and mentally, this is all part of a proper pathways development process.

Always a Bulldog

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’d say! Where are the Gus haters eh? He has done exactly what we hired him to do and then some. HM boys are premier and Flegg are a game away from doing the same.
When was the last time we achieved that? His prime role was developing pathways and sustainability, he’s well on the way of doing that, Matts and Flegg success validates this point. His other objective included a five year plan for the NRL team to challenge for the Premiership, 3.5yrs to get there….. yet, muppets giving him sh!t for not winning a Premiership already and for signing players that aren’t available.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gould on several episodes of 100% Footy and 6 Tackles with Gus expounded on the reasons for the moving of players up down through the levels ……………..

Rugby league may be a simple game but finding the players able to play at a high, consistent NRL level is not that simple. I had the opportunity to sit at a dinner table with a well credentialed NRL recruiter that has worked for a number of clubs and we talked about what being an NRL level player really means. He also said we should never underestimate the effect of not playing during important development years due to Covid restrictions.

Physically NRL Level players have to be able to;
1. Play at a high level in both attack and defence
2. Play at that high level for long minutes in the game, particularly sustained defence.
3. Take the physical punishment, overcome the fatigue and play game after game, week in week out, for a whole season.

Mentally they have to be able to;
4. Play at a high level in both attack and defence
5. Play at that high level for long minutes in the game, particularly sustained defence.
6. Handle the mental strain and play game after game week in week out, for a whole season.

Plenty of players can handle 2 or 3 of the above, not many can handle 4 or 5 and even fewer can handle all 6.

We see this not only with the mature NRL players but particularly with the younger players. They can handle the NRL level physicality for a few games but then their bodies start to fail and they get injured. Often they back off in training trying to save themselves for games, but that just results in a lower level of fitness. Often they can't handle the mental strain, they hold up for couple of games and then they lose concentration and make errors that they wouldn't normally make.

This is what pathways development is all about, recognising that a young player has the abilities to play NRL but also acknowledge that they can't handle it week after week, physically and/or mentally. Often dropping them back to NSW Cup Level isn't enough, they need to go back to playing in their age group, whilst working not just on their fitness, they often still train a couple of days a week with the NRL team. But also working on their resilience, learning how to recover and prepare mentally and physically to do it all again the next game. NSW Cup has a large proportion of hardened NRL players, quality back ups, senior players and as result some games are pretty physical not much below NRL level

Look around at our young guys, who spent a few games playing NRL, moved down to NSW Cup and then played Jersey Flegg or SG Ball, where they aren't playing against grown men with many years of playing experience. They are learning about themselves physically and mentally, this is all part of a proper pathways development process.

Always a Bulldog
100% spot on.

Many do not understand all the intangibles involved in team selections.

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know it's not fun being a doggies supporter atm when it comes to first grade but you can't not get excited about the future watching these kids play, imagine if we're one day contesting for premierships with a spine of.

1. Joash Papali'i
6. Joseph O'Neil
7. Mitchell Woods
9. Reed Mahoney
13. Karl Oloapu

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know it's not fun being a doggies supporter atm when it comes to first grade but you can't not get excited about the future watching these kids play, imagine if we're one day contesting for premierships with a spine of.

1. Joash Papali'i
6. Joseph O'Neil
7. Mitchell Woods
9. Reed Mahoney
13. Karl Oloapu
I'm surprised the club didn't give Woods a crack In flegg this year to see where he was at playing up in age all the games I seen him always a class above everyone in his own age group and considering how our flegg has gone this year would have been ideal to blood him hopefully we can keep him away from the Swans there our biggest threat in keeping him . Hopefully he will get pushed through the junior ranks next season

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm surprised the club didn't give Woods a crack In flegg this year to see where he was at playing up in age all the games I seen him always a class above everyone in his own age group and considering how our flegg has gone this year would have been ideal to blood him hopefully we can keep him away from the Swans there our biggest threat in keeping him . Hopefully he will get pushed through the junior ranks next season
I expect him to play flegg next year, turns 18 in may

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This is the first game in any grades that I have seen KO play like a 5/8 for most of the match. Very impressive. Hope he continues to develop those 5/8 skills.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When was the last time we achieved that? His prime role was developing pathways and sustainability, he’s well on the way of doing that, Matts and Flegg success validates this point. His other objective included a five year plan for the NRL team to challenge for the Premiership, 3.5yrs to get there….. yet, muppets giving him sh!t for not winning a Premiership already and for signing players that aren’t available.
I would have thought his main priority was putting the right people and systems in place to facilitate good junior pathways, which in time will have positive results for the NRL team. The fact it is already reaping rewards says plenty.

I remember very early on in his tenure I was amazed at his workload. He was always jetting off to northern NSW, Queensland or some other place. Him and others have cherry picked boys like Marshall, Kallum Weatherall-Stacey (don’t know if he’s still involved) Isaac Matalavea-Booth and probably many more I can’t name. He organised a partnership with Toowoomba Clydesdales and Farrar H.S and another, maybe Port Macquarie?

A lot of juveniles want to mock his lack of success in his job, well when I see 2 of our 3 junior teams being grand finalists, that’s all I need to confirm that Gus is certainly not the problem. Hopefully we keep a lot of the best young players and they’ll be killing it in first grade in a few years. I don’t know how much Gus had/has to do with the ladies, but we also made the GF in that comp.

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We need to be patient for a few more years and we'll reap the benefits in spades. We have to accept that these young blokes aren't going to handle first grade next year or maybe even the year after but if we bring them along slowly they'll be better players for it. I like that we have given a few a taste of first grade then let them take that experience back to NSW Cup and Jersey Flegg to build on. It's a slow turnaround but it's happening.

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know if weatherall-Stacey is still around great speed and looked likely at fullback ??