Bulldogs inching closer to best

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
While other Sydney clubs continue to hog the headlines, the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs are beginning to warm to their task in season 2013.

Quite rightfully the South Sydney Rabbitohs are favourites to take out the premiership and their fierce rivals the Sydney Roosters are not too far behind.

But we all know the National Rugby League never delivers what you expect come September. That is why you can never write off a team like the Bulldogs. They are built for the late season grind and have both the forward pack and the silky outside backs to beat anyone on their day.

They were never phased on Sunday against the Melbourne Storm running out 39-0 winners.

Sure the visitors were missing their superstars but you can only beat what is in front of you.

Canterbury put Melbourne to the sword.

Dumped State of Origin playmaker Josh Reynolds was at his dogged best, Ben Barba chimed in and out of the game at will and the forward pack, minus Sam Kasiano and Frank Pritchard, dominated the middle third.

Lets not forget Canterbury were grand finalists last year and finished first passed the post after 26 competition rounds. They know how to win games of football and it seems they are finally getting it together.

Sure the Rabbitohs have been completely dominant to date and yes the Roosters still have improvement left in them. But if any side can climb the ladder and beat these sides it’s the Bulldogs.

We don’t know how much better Souths can be.

But we do know the Bulldogs are still a way from their best.

Canterbury are eighth on the ladder with a 9-8 record and have the Penrith Panthers, Newcastle Knights and Manly Sea Eagles directly above them.

The next month sees them battle four clubs struggling for form and consistency.

Home matches against the Parramatta Eels and Gold Coast Titans and away games against St George Illawarra and Canberra Raiders could see them take eight competition points into a blockbuster on the 23rd of August against the Rabbitohs at the same venue that saw them draw over 50,000 fans earlier in the year.

On that day Souths were too good.

The Bulldogs will be ready for them this time around.

Former Canterbury fullback Rod Silva has told RoundEight.com that he can see similarities between this version of the blue and whites and the one that clinched the premiership back in 1995.

“We had a great team who were hurting from the disappointment of 94,” Silva said.

“I always thought we were a big chance. We had so many great players.

“Similarities? A little bit [but] it’s hard to compare two different eras.”

Canterbury lost the decider in 1994 to the Raiders but went onto win the decider the following season against Manly.

Are these Bulldogs about to go one better in 2013?

http://www.roundeight.com/2013/07/bulldogs-inching-closer-to-best/#.UeSt89LfC5I

playon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
fingers crossed we can keep it up this year we have shown no consistency and haven't been able to show what we can do from week to week it has to start now.

We do have an easier run coming up but we saw what happens when you take your opponents lightly v the roosters(2nd game) and knights game in Mackay

also Raiders in the capital is a tough game they've won ten games on the trot up there.

Obviously I'm a doggie through n through, but the one other side I really enjoy watching are the Raiders they like to throw the ball around & are a pleasure to watch.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
One thing for sure is it will be very interesting times ahead. The Canberra game will be very important for us to gauge were we are at.

adamski007

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If they string together another two 80 minute performances like they did against the Storm then it will be much more convincing - fingers crossed

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
While other Sydney clubs continue to hog the headlines, the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs are beginning to warm to their task in season 2013.

Quite rightfully the South Sydney Rabbitohs are favourites to take out the premiership and their fierce rivals the Sydney Roosters are not too far behind.

But we all know the National Rugby League never delivers what you expect come September. That is why you can never write off a team like the Bulldogs. They are built for the late season grind and have both the forward pack and the silky outside backs to beat anyone on their day.

They were never phased on Sunday against the Melbourne Storm running out 39-0 winners.

Sure the visitors were missing their superstars but you can only beat what is in front of you.

Canterbury put Melbourne to the sword.

Dumped State of Origin playmaker Josh Reynolds was at his dogged best, Ben Barba chimed in and out of the game at will and the forward pack, minus Sam Kasiano and Frank Pritchard, dominated the middle third.

Lets not forget Canterbury were grand finalists last year and finished first passed the post after 26 competition rounds. They know how to win games of football and it seems they are finally getting it together.

Sure the Rabbitohs have been completely dominant to date and yes the Roosters still have improvement left in them. But if any side can climb the ladder and beat these sides it’s the Bulldogs.

We don’t know how much better Souths can be.

But we do know the Bulldogs are still a way from their best.

Canterbury are eighth on the ladder with a 9-8 record and have the Penrith Panthers, Newcastle Knights and Manly Sea Eagles directly above them.

The next month sees them battle four clubs struggling for form and consistency.

Home matches against the Parramatta Eels and Gold Coast Titans and away games against St George Illawarra and Canberra Raiders could see them take eight competition points into a blockbuster on the 23rd of August against the Rabbitohs at the same venue that saw them draw over 50,000 fans earlier in the year.

On that day Souths were too good.

The Bulldogs will be ready for them this time around.

Former Canterbury fullback Rod Silva has told RoundEight.com that he can see similarities between this version of the blue and whites and the one that clinched the premiership back in 1995.

“We had a great team who were hurting from the disappointment of 94,” Silva said.

“I always thought we were a big chance. We had so many great players.

“Similarities? A little bit [but] it’s hard to compare two different eras.”

Canterbury lost the decider in 1994 to the Raiders but went onto win the decider the following season against Manly.

Are these Bulldogs about to go one better in 2013?

http://www.roundeight.com/2013/07/bulldogs-inching-closer-to-best/#.UeSt89LfC5I
I love reading these types of articles, they make you want to climb a mountain. Then I try and get off the lounge and fail. Love it!

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this, reading this made me really proud to be a bulldog :grinning:

Kila R Ralai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they string together another two 80 minute performances like they did against the Storm then it will be much more convincing - fingers crossed
Well said, we just need few more games like that to be more convincing, but having said that I am quite excited about the remainder of season...shows promise.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
The next 4 weeks after the bye works in our favour and I would be disappointed if we don't go 4/4

Status
Not open for further replies.