Not open for further replies.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brisbane face a fight to keep star halfback Ben Hunt for 2018

PETER BADEL, The Courier-Mail
7 minutes ago
Subscriber only

BRONCOS coach Wayne Bennett is facing a battle to keep Ben Hunt, with the Brisbane halfback outlining plans to test his value on the open market.

Breaking his silence on his Broncos future, Hunt says he is no rush to sign a new deal with Brisbane as he confronts the most important contract of his career.

Speculation is rife Hunt is being shopped around by the Broncos, a rumour coach Wayne Bennett moved to scupper last week by declaring his support for the halfback.

But Hunt has bargaining power, with three Sydney-based rivals, including the Dragons and Bulldogs, ready to table big-money bids for the former Test playmaker.

Hunt is maligned by some but the Broncos can ill-afford to lose a representative-quality schemer who takes the playmaking pressure off pivot Anthony Milford.

Ben Hunt is off contract at the end of 2017.
Hunt turns 27 in March and after celebrating the birth of his first child eight weeks ago, Brisbane’s most important playmaker says he is now putting family first.

“You have to look around,” Hunt said.

“I’m getting to an age where I have to make the best decision for myself and my family.

“I love the club and the Broncos have been really good to me. If this is where I am in the future, then that’s it, but I’m going to take my time this time and make the best decision for my family.

“Having a kid will have a big impact on my decisions moving forward. I have a young family to look after now and that is my most important role.”

HURT: Four Nations snub to motivate Oates

BREAKOUT: The seven players who will improve the most in 2017

The Broncos insist Hunt is a priority signing and have tabled a three-year deal to keep the nuggety No. 7 at Red Hill until the end of 2020.

Last month, it was reported Hunt made a secret trip to Sydney to inspect the set-up at Parramatta, who have been repeatedly linked to the Broncos shot-caller. But Hunt denied touring the Eels, saying he spent the off-season visiting his family in Central Queensland.

Bennett’s shock signing of Benji Marshall is viewed by some as a ploy to put pressure on Milford and Hunt, but the Maroons hopeful welcomed the move.

Hunt has been linked with several Sydney clubs.
“There’s a bit of pressure there but that’s something every footy club needs,” Hunt said.

“It’s been great having Benji here, he is a great fella and he’s been pushing me and ‘Milf’ at training.

“Benji has already given me little cues here and there, he has been around the game a long time and has a lot of tricks up his sleeve.

“I think it can work. I’m not too sure where Wayne will want him to play but I think Benji can work in somewhere.”

Hunt had a bittersweet 2016 campaign and admits he is determined to recapture the form that swept the Broncos to the grand final a year ago.

“I don’t think I competed consistently, there were games where I played good and then the following week I would go missing,” Hunt said.

“I probably took a back seat (to Milford). I couldn’t put my finger on it during the year, but I seemed to be fading out of games a bit.

“It could have been mental. In games, I’d go missing for 10 or 15 minutes and realise after the game what had happened, so it’s something I have to fix this season.”

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I say Bullshit!! plus the fact he would not be a good asset in the first place.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
This might be true isn't benji replacing hunt lol

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He is pretty similar to Moses imo. Strong running and passing game but hasn't showed much of a traditional halves game. Kinda why Alfie is constantly on the field giving instructions.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Damn 27 years already, I thought he was younger, how many seasons did he spend coming off the bench?

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Alot better than what we have... we are no chance regardless

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This story brought to you by your friendly neighbourhood player-manager!!!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
All he's doing is trying to get and offer from us to use as leverage for an upgrade from the Broncos.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Linked to yet another player..? Yawwwwnn.......let me know when we actually sign one , good night.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Only in the modern game can you breach the salary cap and keep looking at signing players. I think if your caught cheating you should not be allowed to sign any players for the amount of years in breach, so Parra 5 years, Broncs and Roosters....never lol

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
i thought we were over the cap.

Who will be paying for hunt?

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone seen Hunts missus?

Saw her once at the dally m awards.

What a piece of ass

Imposter

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Dont know if my mail is bullshit but i was told mitchel moses is a done deal with the dog 2018 coming from a family member of his

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Dont know if my mail is bullshit but i was told mitchel moses is a done deal with the dog 2018 coming from a family member of his
I hope not. we need a halfback not another 5/8th and certainly not one that can't tackle.

Status
Not open for further replies.