Bulldogs in danger of worst season in 54 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Surprise, yet another journo writing what's painfully obvious, can't say it's wrong though​

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/f819a7865df0284c5e67e4aec0140944

AS if this season could get any worse for Bulldogs fans.

With six games remaining in 2018, the Bulldogs are staring down a record that has not been touched in over half a century.

Not since 1964 have the Bulldogs won so few games this far into a season. That year they managed just one win (a 13-11 victory over Eastern Suburbs in Round 14) and a 6-all draw with Western Suburbs.

Twice since, the Bulldogs have won five games in a year — once in 1965 and more recently in 2008.

In 2018 the Bulldogs have four wins to their name, but have a difficult draw, facing the Wests Tigers, Brisbane, Manly, the Warriors, St George Illawarra and Cronulla to finish the season — four of which are top eight premiership contenders.

If they fail to score another win, this will be their worst season in 54 years.

Following Thursday’s 14-8 loss to Parramatta, coach Dean Pay said while this season has been difficult, the team has not given up.

“There are a fair few games to go and we want to build on what we did [on Thursday night] and get better so we want to win every game if we can,” he said.

“But we need to give ourselves the opportunity to win a game.”

It’s been a decade since the Bulldogs last finished with the wooden spoon.

In 2008 the Bulldogs had won five games, the last of which was in Round 18, before losing the final eight games of the season.

Captain Josh Jackson said despite the miserable season the players have been able to remain positive.

“The next six weeks, we’ve just got to keep turning up,” he said.

“We have a resilient bunch of guys in the team. The year that everyone’s had it’s certainly been tough but the way we respond every week has been exceptional.

“The energy that we train with and the positivity around the place is a credit to all the boys because it has been a tough year.

“We owe it to the club to keep turning up and putting in great performances and try and win as many games as we can.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Embrace the pain fellas and stay true to yourselves and the club. Bulldogs 4 life!!!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Actually it's worse that she claims if you look more into it, because you have to take into account that in the past there were fewer games played in a season.

Our For and Against is hard to gauge just yet and sits about midway through our historical seasons.

As it stands (worked out on a WINNING PERCENTAGE):

CURRENTLY we are sitting at the 5th worst performance in history by the Bulldogs.

upload_2018-7-20_15-4-53.png

If we don't win another game, we could drop as low as 3rd worst performance in history.

upload_2018-7-20_15-6-38.png

Win every game and we end up 25th worst performance.

Our best position where we still got the spoon was 7th worst performance (21.43% winning percentage).

So still pretty dire, but at least it won't be record breaking. 1935 was our debut season.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Very hard to see another win this year, maybe against the tigers, that's about all.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Very hard to see another win this year, maybe against the tigers, that's about all.
Probably not. Moses will carve us up if you go by "every time we play an ex player in their first game against us" theory, majority is they have a blinder.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Surely we beat the Knights again

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Surely we beat the Knights again
I love the optimism howard, and I hope you're right but I just can't see it.
They'll have Pearce back and I think will build a bit of momentum, we're shot ducks who don't know how to win

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Going off last night I can't see Parra doing much better. I'll be cheering every opponent of their's for the remainder of the season

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lol hey at least we now know what improvement pay was talking of. We were all so blinded to our bigotry that we didn’t realise there was another direction of improvement.

DOGSOFWAR2013

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Build on what we did on Thursday night?

Not that hard when thurs.night was basically rock bottom losing to last place.

There is nothing to.build on because third night we did absolutely nothing lol. Was not a 1st grade worthy game.

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can I suggest that finishing 13th or finishing 16th makes little difference. It’s still missing the finals & is obviously a poor season.
No one remembers which team wins the spoon unless they win a few in a row.
If the Bulldogs win 5 of their first 6 matches next year, 2018 will be long forgotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.