BULLDOGS HINT AT NEW HALVES PAIRING

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If Wakeham can put on some size before rd 1, under Barrett, the kid can thrive. He is too small at the moment but he has skill, vision and flare. Under Pay and Georgallis the kid had no chance to learn and progress.
It could work out spectacularly or it could crash and burn.
Agree. He definitely has something, but it can't honestly be stated that he's been given a decent chance to adjust to NRL, let alone show that he belongs. He's been under two coaches who aren't fantastic with the halves, in a team that has been short of class and way down on confidence, and next to a halfback who, well, the less said the better really.

I don't mind him getting a go with TBaz as coach, next to Flanno, with a revamped line up and hopefully a lot more confidence in the team.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Confidence is being able to perform as well as talking yourself up, i haven’t seen enough performances where they can justify the way they act off the field.
egg and chicken scenario here, cant perform without instilling confidence in yourself.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Averilo is the most likely, but as @Papa Joe said, Averil really needs to be our Rockstar fb as far as I'm concerned.
Same thing was said about Mbye when the talk started about him moving to fullback at the end of 2017. Burton’s decision will obviously play a major part in all of this but I think having Jake play a season at 5/8 is the lessor of two evils then using Wakeham or Lewis even at the expense of giving Averillo a extra year of experience at the back.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Wakeham is absolute rubbish and he has proved that everytime he gets a shot.
Alot of these young guys would have been totally lost under the coaching system we had in the past 2-3 years. He's been played at 6, 7, off the bench, let's be honest Pay and Georgalis had no idea. It's his last throw of the dice for sure though.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My only concern for Avo at the back is his size and defense.
He obviously already has the ball playing and running game for it.

RE: Wakeham, I am sure TBaz has seen something he likes for this to be the case.
Yes, Wakeham has disappointed to date but lets be real, he has never really been given a fair crack.
I'll put faith in Baz.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think,and this is assuming we don’t sign any more players . . .
1 meaney
6 Averillo
9 Wakeham
Wakeham could also be our bench utility player with Katoa being the starting hooker. I’d like to think Lewis and JMK will improve under TBaz but I’d be surprised if it would be significant enough

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think them tipping Wakeham to have first crack at 6, says more about T-Baz intent on developing Averillo as our Fullback and not waisting a year of that development just because he is our best option at 6 for this year.
IMO, Averillo will be that rock-star Fullback we've been waiting for for a long time - as long as he can get the defensive & organisational side of the game right.
Just by going off what TBaz said during the 2SM interview, he said he already has a fair idea on who is going to wear the no.1 jersey, he named Avo, Hoppa and Meaney as potential candidates but hinted that it will be Avo when he said they need to work on Avo's defence and communication at no.1 tells me he wants to put Avo at no.1
I'm happy with that.

Moving forward to me our future spine so far is 1.Avo 6.? 7.Flanagan 9.? surely the club will be going after a 6 and a 9 to complete the spine.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Did i come to Belmore to listen to you ladies hate on your own players?

What kind of supporters are you?

#proudtobebulldog
#lessgo
#letstrot
There's hate and then there's being realistic. Wakeham and especially Lewis are HORRENDOUS. If they were any good Baz wouldn't be trying so desperately to get Burton next year, but they're not so he is.

Let's trot lol

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We shouldn’t judge any of our halves on the last 2 years. Are they going to be the next immortal probably not , but could develop into solid first graders capable of leading us to some success. Our forwards simply haven’t paved the way for any of them to shine. Our go forward has been non existent and we have sat back in defence and let teams eat up the meterage against us. Hopefully Baz can create a better structure that see blokes running with support play and a bit wider and our halves can play off the back of it.

Letstrot

Waterboy
Reaction score
There's hate and then there's being realistic. Wakeham and especially Lewis are HORRENDOUS. If they were any good Baz wouldn't be trying so desperately to get Burton next year, but they're not so he is.

Let's trot lol
Listen brah, being realistic is lacing the boots on. For you that ain't being realistic, so you gotta hate.

We all bleed blue n white. Hate da game and not da player

#proudtobebulldog
#lessgo
#letstrot

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
All our halves candidates should be on a clean slate. Their focus needs to be on adapting their skillset to the way Barrett shapes our attack. So after the preseason is done we might see a few of them have transformed a bit and grown in confidence. I have no idea what our spine will be. But I'll support them regardless and hope to see players living up to their potential.