bulldogs head coach superthread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
One-year Dymock deal tipped, but the Dogs are still barking for Hasler

CANTERBURY are adamant that signing Jim Dymock to just a one-year contract will not be at the grave risk of next season becoming a write-off under the control of someone who could be regarded as a ''lame-duck'' coach.

The Bulldogs accept there will be some risk involved but believe it will be outweighed by the natural desire of Dymock and the players to be competitive and get something out of the season regardless of whether it is his only one in charge.

Dymock, who was the Canterbury caretaker coach for the tail end of the season just completed after Kevin Moore was sacked, is set to be announced as next year's coach later this week, but the club still hopes to sign Des Hasler as coach for 2013 and beyond.

If they don't get Hasler, who said after winning the grand final on Sunday he would honour his agreement with Manly for next year, they may still only sign Dymock for one year and weigh up the long-term future further down the track.

Manly are still negotiating with Hasler to extend his deal for two years until the end of 2014. There have been further talks between Hasler and Manly chairman Scott Penn this week, and they are scheduled to meet again tomorrow.

The Sea Eagles are doing their best to reach a figure that will compete with the $750,000 a year over three years the Bulldogs are understood to have offered Hasler, whose deal with Manly is worth about $450,000.

Ideally, the Bulldogs want Hasler for next year but are prepared to wait until 2013 to get him. But whether they get Hasler for 2013 or not, the Herald has learned Bulldogs powerbrokers believe there will not be a substantial risk of next season coming undone if Dymock is only appointed for one year.

That is because they see Dymock, who shared in the 1995 premiership with the Bulldogs and won the Clive Churchill Medal as best player in the grand final, as someone who will still view the opportunity as critically important to his career. They saw him putting everything he had into the last eight weeks of the the season even though there was never any guarantee he would get the job for next year, and don't regard him as the type of person who, because he didn't have the job long-term, would lose interest and drop his bundle at some stage next year.

Officials also saw the club's players support Dymock through their performances during his time as caretaker coach, and the club believes they will again next year, regardless of if it were his only year.

The fact the game has long been professional is another reason to believe players will rise above such a situation, because of their need to play well to increase their earning capacity. If the club did snare Hasler for 2013, the desire to impress him would be regarded as extra motivation.

For Manly, as a privately owned club that does not have the huge financial support from its leagues club that the Bulldogs enjoy, it is not a simple matter to come up with the extra money to offer Hasler what the market says he is worth after two premierships in four years.

Ultimately, it would have to come from the two groups that, between them, own almost 80 per cent of the Sea Eagles - the Penn family company and Quantum. What the owners are naturally trying to establish is how much the grand final win might be worth to the club in terms of sponsorship and merchandising.

Asked yesterday how talks Hasler were going, chairman Penn replied: ''We're still in dialogue. We're doing everything we can to keep Des.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-for-hasler-20111005-1l9p4.html#ixzz1Zzgaw2gy

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
and so far, i've seen nothing to suggest dymock has not actually been kept in the loop, of the plans by the club in regards to this situation

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
and so far, i've seen nothing to suggest dymock has not actually been kept in the loop, of the plans by the club in regards to this situation
i was thinking the same thing.

surely being a professional football club, they wouldve had conversations with dymock regarding his future and would fully understand not getting a long-term deal, given what we went through with moore.
hell i would even go out and say he'd probably be over the moon to be assistant to one of the top coaches in the nrl. even if it was for a few years. no doubt haslers knowledge would benefit dymock in the long run.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
i was thinking the same thing.

surely being a professional football club, they wouldve had conversations with dymock regarding his future and would fully understand not getting a long-term deal, given what we went through with moore.
hell i would even go out and say he'd probably be over the moon to be assistant to one of the top coaches in the nrl. even if it was for a few years. no doubt haslers knowledge would benefit dymock in the long run.
i've seen nothing else to suggest that he disagrees with the club going for a proven top line coach who is right now, top of the heap and would be happy to do what you've just mentioned

hell, i've seen not seen much from the club either, just a bunch of speculation by the media and people here are not waiting for all their info/facts straight before putting their claims forward

for all we know, they will sign dymock for a year with a 2nd year option our way and the team kills it next year and the club and jim agree upon the 2nd year option

nah **** that, i wanna jump the gun ffs and think the worst

:p

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Tomorrow is D-Day.

We should hopefully know who our coach will be for 2012.

Harby

Trance Family
Reaction score
probably from the most reliable source possible, coach announcement to be made within the next 48 hours, was told this midday through Thursday so we can expect it before Sunday or shortly after.

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It appears Hasler isn't coming to the Dogs....

Hasler set to sign new deal with Sea Eagles

Adrian Proszenko
October 7, 2011.

DES HASLER isn't going anywhere. He is poised to sign a three-year extension with Manly which, with bonuses, is worth more than $1 million a season.

Sea Eagles powerbrokers and Hasler have a ''handshake'' agreement after the deal was tabled this week. The parties will meet again tomorrow to finalise the terms and an official announcement is expected early next week.

Given that Hasler is already contracted for next season, the two-time premiership-winning coach will effectively be locked in until the end of 2015, becoming the club's longest-serving coach.

Advertisement: Story continues below

The development effectively ends Canterbury's attempts to poach Hasler. The Bulldogs had offered him $750,000 a season, preferably as soon as next year.

However, that was never likely to happen given Hasler's public pledge after last Sunday's grand final triumph that: ''I'll be at Manly next year'', and confirmation from Sea Eagles chairman Scott Penn that the 50-year-old activated an option in his contract to stay at Brookvale for next season.

The Bulldogs are now likely to appoint Jim Dymock as coach.

Following the premiership-winning squad's civic reception and parade from Brookvale Oval to the Novotel in Manly yesterday, the

team joined sponsors, board members and guests for lunch at Le Kiosk at Shelly Beach. The gathering of 60 paying guests got their money's worth when MC John Gibbs interviewed Hasler. The coach confirmed he would remain at Brookvale for 2012 but. when Gibbs pressed him about his intentions beyond that, the coach channelled Jerry Maguire, declaring: ''Show me the money!''

Hasler told fans at the parade how proud he was of his players.

''This week has been full of wonderful memories many players will cherish for a long time,'' he said. ''On behalf of the players, this is a small gesture to say thank you.''

Hasler's stock has further risen since Manly's grand final triumph and the new deal reflects his worth.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/hasler-set-to-sign-new-deal-with-sea-eagles-20111006-1lbu0.html

BUT....why would he not say that he is at Manly beyond 2012? Doesn't he believe Penn & Co.?

Last edited by a moderator:

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
hellooooooooooooo 2013

:grinning:

if we don't nab him after next year, at least manly will send themselves broke trying to keep him

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A meeting this morning could decide Des Hasler's future with Manly

MANLY officials will hold talks with Des Hasler today amid fears Canterbury has raised its offer to the Sea Eagles coach beyond the reported $750,000 a year.

Sea Eagles chairman Scott Penn is set to sit down with Hasler this morning in an attempt to convince the Manly stalwart to extend his current deal beyond the 2013 season. While Manly remains favourite to retain him, concern has increased among Sea Eagles officials in recent days.

Hasler has been the subject of a massive offer from the Bulldogs, who have targeted him as the long-term answer to their coaching position. The Bulldogs are expected to announce tomorrow that caretaker coach Jim Dymock will be at the helm next season but have left the door open for Hasler to switch clubs in 2013.

Manly has moved to head that off by tabling a two-year deal worth significantly more than he currently earns.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...uture-with-manly/story-e6frg7mf-1226160698203

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
MANLY officials will hold talks with Des Hasler today amid fears Canterbury has raised its offer to the Sea Eagles coach beyond the reported $750,000 a year.

Sea Eagles chairman Scott Penn is set to sit down with Hasler this morning in an attempt to convince the Manly stalwart to extend his current deal beyond the 2013 season. While Manly remains favourite to retain him, concern has increased among Sea Eagles officials in recent days.

Hasler has been the subject of a massive offer from the Bulldogs, who have targeted him as the long-term answer to their coaching position. The Bulldogs are expected to announce tomorrow that caretaker coach Jim Dymock will be at the helm next season but have left the door open for Hasler to switch clubs in 2013.

Manly has moved to head that off by tabling a two-year deal worth significantly more than he currently earns.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...uture-with-manly/story-e6frg7mf-1226160698203
LOL....the media have NFI, they're taking stabs in the dark!
SMH reporting that he will sign with Manly. The Australian say that they are to hold talks with Hasler as they think Hasler is getting much more than is reported....
LOL.... what will the Daily Telecrap come up with. Oh, let me guess...."Dogs in talks with Bellamy, Hasler a decoy! LOL!!!
Oh, let's not forget the WEEDLER special is yet to come......

THEY HAVE NFI!!!!!

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
LOL....the media have NFI, they're taking stabs in the dark!
SMH reporting that he will sign with Manly. The Australian say that they are to hold talks with Hasler as they think Hasler is getting much more than is reported....
LOL.... what will the Daily Telecrap come up with. Oh, let me guess...."Dogs in talks with Bellamy, Hasler a decoy! LOL!!!
Oh, let's not forget the WEEDLER special is yet to come......

THEY HAVE NFI!!!!!
and people are getting worked up from the crap these guys are publishing

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
NRL Gossip
Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler is poised to sign a 3 extension with Manly which, with bonuses, is rumored to be close to $1 million a season. All parties will meet tomorrow to finalize the terms and an official announcement is expected early next week.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
and people are getting worked up from the crap these guys are publishing

Hey i got an idea ... lets make a banner, and take it to a game, and pull it out in front of the opposition fans with 7 mins to go when we're losing.

*rolls eyes*

fra250

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
good news everybody, just heard that Mr Des Hasler will coach us 2013 and beyond.

2013 is the time we will destroy the nrl and all those who come before us!!!!!!

5/8

Loyal Royal Blue & White
Reaction score
yeah just heard it too on fox sports,feel sorry for jimmy tho !

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Im really Des Hasler. I've fooled you all these years. I told you i'll be coach :p

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
lolol, Lolol, just reading the comments on the blog for daily telegrpah Des Hasler joining the Bulldogs and this has to be one of the best calls ever........

Fully Sic Bro of Lakemba, Lebanon Posted at 12:58 PM Today
From fish and chips to kebabs with extra hommus and tabouli......can see that aint gonna last.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I also thought it was BS when the rumour started. I didnt see Des leaving the club he played for and loved to coach us. And Manly offered him plenty of money, said to be more than we offered him. He obviously has a bug up his bum about something at board level and wanted out. Manly members should think of it this way. The club runs at a loss despite being premiers twice in 5 years. Thats the boards performance. Des wins 2 premierships in 5 years despite the club running at a loss. Thats Des' performance. The fans should lay off Des and focus on thier rubbish board.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I also thought it was BS when the rumour started. I didnt see Des leaving the club he played for and loved to coach us. And Manly offered him plenty of money, said to be more than we offered him. He obviously has a bug up his bum about something at board level and wanted out. Manly members should think of it this way. The club runs at a loss despite being premiers twice in 5 years. Thats the boards performance. Des wins 2 premierships in 5 years despite the club running at a loss. Thats Des' performance. The fans should lay off Des and focus on thier rubbish board.
2 Premierships, 3 Grand Finals, and 5 final series..

Epically good record IMO considering his roster wasn't half as critically acclaimed as the St Merge chokers or the Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.