Bulldogs great Terry Lamb says coach Des Hasler doesn’t get the Canterbury club culture

Status
Not open for further replies.

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was happy enough to get Hasler as coach in 2012 but I was concerned at the time that he was from Manly and may struggle to get the Dogs culture and it was reflected when you heard him speak for the first few years about 'this Canterbury team' and it hasn't really ever changed. I get that coaches are professionals but in league you have to be part of it or you die quickly. Every other coach I can think of that is new to a club talks like they are doing whatever they can together, Hasler doesn't, it's him running the show and telling people what he expects, fair enough, but you can't keep talking and acting like that here at Canterbury, it won't and doesn't work!
I'm not blaming Hasler for all the issues at all but he is a massive part of the apparent disconnect between playing staff, including players and fans and the club overall, which again does not work at Canterbury.

This is the start of a change, like 1995 I hope

dredresyd

Waterboy
Reaction score
Never ceases to amaze me how apparent passionate fans of the bulldogs are very quick to jump on the bandwagon in order to shoot people down..... especially within the bulldogs organisation.
I would suggest that these fans should get behind the Bulldogs in every facet and stop looking for scapegoats.
Baabaa is entitled to his opinion... simple as that but is the opinion of the masses???
I think if you spend any time on here you'll see it is the majority opinion. Good on Baa for saying something, someone needed too and no one inside management was ever going to do it. Dessie has done a lot of great things for our club, except the one thing he was brought on to do, which is to bring home a Premiership.
He's also a numbers man, percentages etc. You can't quantify the Canterbury attitude, either it's something you understand instinctively because you've lived it or you don't. Hasler doesn't. Doesn't mean he's a bad coach, but look at his time at Manly. He's a club legend over there, when he took over coaching he pushed those boys to 2 Premierships whilst juggling infighting amongst the board. He did that because he bled for Manly, just like Baa bled for Canterbury. Can't measure that in metres or percentages unfortunately.

Bulldog_NJ

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, for someone who is employed by the club, and is a legend of the club, to come out and speak his mind, tells me he has the board's blessings to do so. I think the board are getting a bit restless, and from my understanding, there are a few board members who have wanted Des out for a while.

What Baa has said is spot on. Its time for Jim Dymock to take the reins. He has served a long enough apprenticeship.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Cracks starting to appear at Belmore.. I guess all clubs go through that.. I don't know about coaches having to play for the club to understand the culture..Mr Dogs of War himself..Warren Ryan..never played for the Dogs..but Des' performance does need to be scrutinised..like all coaches.. Funny I posted just yesterday that no one does this..well they have now!!

Oh kudos to those on The Kennel who posted on here..after the Sterlo interview with Lamb..that it seemed not all in the camp was happy with Hasler's coaching style.. Will be interesting to see how Des responds..

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think if you spend any time on here you'll see it is the majority opinion. Good on Baa for saying something, someone needed too and no one inside management was ever going to do it. Dessie has done a lot of great things for our club, except the one thing he was brought on to do, which is to bring home a Premiership.
He's also a numbers man, percentages etc. You can't quantify the Canterbury attitude, either it's something you understand instinctively because you've lived it or you don't. Hasler doesn't. Doesn't mean he's a bad coach, but look at his time at Manly. He's a club legend over there, when he took over coaching he pushed those boys to 2 Premierships whilst juggling infighting amongst the board. He did that because he bled for Manly, just like Baa bled for Canterbury. Can't measure that in metres or percentages unfortunately.
Post of the year. Des can take his fucking numbers and fuck off. The boys need to start looking at that logo and going out and start bashing teams into oblivion.

The problem we have is no one fears us anymore. For as long as I can remember, no one ever wanted to play the dogs because they knew it would be the most physical game they'll play that year and there players would come off hurt. You can't put the fear of God into the opposition when you play like a robot with no heart. We had a big window to win the premiership and now it's passed.

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
The opinion of the masses is now in agreement with Terry in regards to not liking the playing style. A simple read of opinions on here, the Bulldogs community on both Twitter and Facebook and talking to members at the game will tell you that

dog 4life

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I will probably get flamed for this (and that's cool, I expect that on the internet lol) but I think it comes down to the whole "instant gratification" and "everyone gets a trophy" attitude of the younger generation now that they can't handle it when things don't go perfectly to what they think it should be like. The internet then gives them an avenue to go apeshit and rage over anything and everything.

It seems these days that if you are not raging about something on the internet then you aren't doing it right. I say have a cup of cement and harden the f**k up.

So..... I guess I must also be doing it right by raging over ppl raging on the internet lol
Yeah, shut the fuck up ... onya baaaa

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
This is a direct shot across the bow for not only Des but this team. Wouldn't be surprised if it was a "sanctioned" comment from the internal heart of the club and the figure heads knew nothing of it. I would expect a positive reaction from the team on this on the field BUT maintaining that will be the challenge. I also want to highlight that not all of our team are guilty of being pussies, some put in 100%. Unfortunately not enough of them.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm glad baa has come out and said what alot of fans are thinking. I appreciate his honesty without the pc bs.

In this day and age not alot of coaches are given a 5 year term without delivering a premiership.

I don't want our club being like Parra where they allowed Brian Smith years as the coach and he delivered nothing.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It took 60 seconds for Warriors to score against our Cup team lol

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
CANTERBURY great Terry Lamb has questioned coach Des Hasler’s understanding of the Bulldogs’ legendary club culture in the wake of the team’s disappointing loss to archrivals Parramatta on Friday night.

Following the club’s fourth loss of the season, Lamb believes the Bulldogs under Hasler are lacking the famous “Dogs of War” character.

Lamb also said the Bulldogs are playing nowhere near good enough to feature in the finals.

“Des doesn’t know what the culture is about and that’s just what it is,” Lamb told The Sunday Telegraph.

“He played against the Bulldogs and he knew what our club was about, but it’s hard to distribute that when you haven’t played for the club itself.

“That’s not a fault of Dessie either. He is a mate of mine and he has done a great job with what he has got, but it’s the same for players who come into the club.

“You can read about it, you can talk about it, but once you live it for 13 years it’s pretty hard to let it not go through your veins.

“When Des first came to us he introduced all this new stuff and I thought it was fantastic. He had won two grand finals in three years (at Manly).

“But sometimes you can over coach and I’m not saying he does that because I don’t watch his training sessions, but for me boys need to be boys sometimes.”

Lamb, who works at the club in an ambassador and corporate hospitality role, said he would like to see a greater emphasis placed on Canterbury’s premiership-winning past from the 1980s when the Blue and Whites won four grand finals.

“We’ve got to create that atmosphere within the club again,” said Lamb, who captained the Bulldogs to a title in 1995.

“No one can replace Peter Moore (ex-club secretary) or Barry Nelson (ex-club president) — it’s impossible to do.

“The people who are at the club at the moment I think are doing a great job. But you’ve got to remember years ago we had a few local juniors in the team, players played for each other and players didn’t move clubs as much.

“That’s when you get a combination going.”

Lamb spoke passionately about Canterbury’s inconsistent form on the Fox Sports program ‘Sterlo’ during the week. During his interview with host Peter Sterling, he said Friday’s match against Parramatta would determine if the Bulldogs made the finals.

He also called for the players to get together and “start fighting for the club”.

Asked if his view had changed in the aftermath of Friday’s loss against Parramatta, Lamb said: “We’ve got the team to make the finals, but we are not playing good enough.

“We made a statement at the beginning of the year that we want to win the grand final in the next two years and we want more local juniors to come through our precinct, so yes we do need results.

“Canterbury is a successful club and the only way you need to be successful on the football field is win a comp. We want results because we’ve got a team there that can win the comp — trouble is we are not playing good football.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/bulldogs/bulldogs-great-terry-lamb-says-coach-des-hasler-doesnt-get-the-canterbury-club-culture/news-story/01c93d1927b4a62324b9cfde3b7cf4cc?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed: dailytelegraphnrlndm (Daily Telegraph | NRL)

I rest my case! On my mark release the dogs amongst the pigeons.....GO!!!
Gee I can't see Des talking to Baa anytime soon. How dare a club legend question anything supercoach does ? Who' se the one getting a Mill a season to be the expert. I'd give baa the coaching job tomorrow. For us to improve all a coach ANY coach would need to do is say to the players "Forget what Des said you can't do - go out and have fun, show your natural abilities - do the things you used to do before you met Des"

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Never ceases to amaze me how apparent passionate fans of the bulldogs are very quick to jump on the bandwagon in order to shoot people down..... especially within the bulldogs organisation.
I would suggest that these fans should get behind the Bulldogs in every facet and stop looking for scapegoats.
Baabaa is entitled to his opinion... simple as that but is the opinion of the masses???

ok Des, what ever you reckon and keep it up with your dumb structured plays.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Cracks starting to appear at Belmore.. I guess all clubs go through that.. I don't know about coaches having to play for the club to understand the culture..Mr Dogs of War himself..Warren Ryan..never played for the Dogs..but Des' performance does need to be scrutinised..like all coaches.. Funny I posted just yesterday that no one does this..well they have now!!

Oh kudos to those on The Kennel who posted on here..after the Sterlo interview with Lamb..that it seemed not all in the camp was happy with Hasler's coaching style.. Will be interesting to see how Des responds..
Good post mate, I'm off Des big time myself but I really don't get that you need to play for a club to understand their culture etc.

Don't remember Bennett ever playing for the Dragons...

Paul Green played the majority of his career at the Sharks and a season or 2 at the Cowboys and let's not talk about how the Cowboys went when he played there.

Pretty sure Maguire didn't play for Souths and Bellamy a Storm player? Don't think so.

You can build a culture and buy into an existing culture, like the above have done, but you need support of the playing group and also the flexibility to make changes within the team when needed and also the style you play, unfortunately it seems like it is Des's way or the highway and the results/style speak for themselves.

I think it's clear from the activity in here since Friday that the overwhelming majority of supporters feel disgruntled and let down by the organisation as a whole.

I hope change is around the corner....

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
You have to teach the culture to the players as well, it doesn't matter which club or grade they play, they should have plenty of desire, passion and competitiveness to succeed. Des can only be blamed for so much.
Glad Lamb is still involved.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Love Baa but I think he is wrong in one sense. I don't think we have the talent to win the comp. Look at our playmakers compared to the top 3-4 sides, we aren't in the same ballpark as Cowboys, Storm, Broncos and prob even Parra now with Foran and Norman
1️⃣%
%
Agree
✔✔☑☑

Status
Not open for further replies.