Bulldogs great Steve Mortimer praises current star Ben Barba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigmous

on the loose
Premium Member
Reaction score
THE greatest ever Bulldog Steve Mortimer has handed man of the moment Ben Barba the ultimate compliment - with Mortimer rating Barba the most exciting player to ever pull on a Canterbury jumper.

In the wake of Barba's breathtaking hat-trick against the Cowboys on the weekend - which took his season tally to 17 - Mortimer described Barba as the modern- day "Phil Blake".

When asked where Barba rated among the best entertainers he'd ever seen play rugby league, Mortimer added: "I can't think of a better player than Benny Barba.

"When it comes to his attacking flair, he is as good as I've seen.

"Even if you are not a Bulldogs fan you've got to love watching Ben Barba play. He reminds me of Phil Blake. He was just a dynamo as well."

The dynamic Barba leads the NRL's tryscoring list in 2012, just ahead of teammate Josh Morris who has 16 tries.
Barba is also firming as favourite to take out the game's most prestigious individual prize, the Dally M Medal, with statistics revealing an uncanny similarity to Jarryd Hayne's phenomenal charge that took Parramatta to the 2009 grand final.
Mortimer said such was Barba's popularity at the moment, the NRL could do worse then employ him as the next face of the game.
"He would be ideal as an ambassador for our game," Mortimer added.
"He is just a natural born rugby league entertainer and I love watching him play.

"Like I said, even if you don't support the Dogs you support Ben Barba because he is an entertainer and he makes the fans want to watch our game."
Asked if he thinks Canterbury are on target for their first premiership since 2004, Mortimer added: "I am always reluctant (to say they can win the comp).

"It is looking good but there is still a long way to go.
"If Melbourne Storm find their mojo they can be a threat and I think on their day the Sea Eagles, Rabbitohs and Broncos can do some damage."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...t-star-ben-barba/story-e6frfgd6-1226438929321

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Love the story, except disagree that Mortimer was the best ever Bulldog. Was a pretty decent one, but he had nothing on Terry Lamb.

Status
Not open for further replies.