Bulldogs go the distance.. SMH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man Hater

B good or B good at it
Reaction score
BULLDOGS 32 CRONULLA 24

AFTER telling yesterday's post-match media conference at Telstra Stadium that Phil Bailey did not deserve to be sin-binned and Paul Gallen should not have been penalised for an alleged late tackle, it was pointed out to Bulldogs coach Steve Folkes that he had just defended two Cronulla players.

"I don't know if I'm defending Cronulla players or criticising the referee," Folkes replied.

The Bulldogs had just snuck up on virtually everybody to take an equal share of the premiership lead with Newcastle, North Queensland, Melbourne and Brisbane but most of the focus after their fourth consecutive win was on referee Tony Archer and his match officials.

In a fiery match that thankfully did not spill over into the stands after fears that there may be repercussions from the race riots at Cronulla during the summer:

■ Gallen was harshly penalised for a late challenge on Bulldogs playmaker Brent Sherwin just before half-time that allowed Hazem El Masri to land the third of his six goals in a 16-point personal haul;

■ Bailey and Bulldogs star Sonny Bill Williams were sin-binned for fighting midway through the second half;

■ Bulldogs five-eighth Daniel Holdsworth followed suit six minutes later to leave the home side down to 11 men and feared he had cost his team a win after the Sharks raced in four tries in nine minutes; and,

■ Sharks captain Brett Kimmorley was involved with teammate Beau Scott in an ugly lifting tackle on Reni Maitua and may face a judiciary charge for a high tackle on Tony Grimaldi.

"It was that sort of game where no one was playing really good football and everyone was just frustrated. Then it just boils over and uncharacteristic things happen," Bailey said.

With the Bulldogs determined to slow down what Sharks coach Stuart Raper boasted were the quickest play-the-balls in the NRL, Grimaldi said Archer's interpretation of the 10 metres had caused much of the frustration.

Asked how he and his teammates had adapted to being down to 11 men, Grimaldi said: "It was hard enough with 13 men. It was a massive 10 metres - it was 12 or 13 [metres] - and that's why we were giving away penalties, I think. It felt like we had six [players] there a few times."

Folkes added: "I wasn't aware that the 10-metre rule had been changed to 15 metres and it just made it like a game of touch. I don't think that is the way the game should be played, it certainly doesn't take a lot of imagination or skill to run from dummy-half but both teams were forced into doing that because it was such a big 10 metres."

Led by Holdsworth and Sherwin, the Bulldogs stormed to an early 10-0 lead and were comfortably ahead 26-6 when Williams became frustrated by the niggling tactics of Bailey and began swinging punches in the 58th minute at the Wigan-bound former international. Both were sent to the sin bin and Holdsworth followed six minutes later.

Despite the impact on his side, Folkes said he had no problem with either of the Bulldogs players being sin-binned - although he disputed whether Holdsworth had raked the ball out in a tackle.

"I know whenever there is a fight they send both blokes to the sin bin but the guy who is not the aggressor, what is he supposed to do? Stand there and be hit? He's got to throw some himself, so I don't think that Phil Bailey should have been sent to the sin bin," Folkes said.

After watching on television as the Sharks piled on three tries between the 65th and 72nd minutes, Holdsworth was waiting to return when Luke Covell missed a sideline conversion attempt of David Simmons's try two minutes later that would have levelled the scores. "I was a worried man, yes," Holdsworth said.

Folkes said it had been too much for people to expect Holdsworth to immediately fill the void left by Braith Anasta's departure last season but after nine games he now had the confidence to take the ball to the line and was unlucky to be denied his second try of the match in the 78th minute because of an alleged obstruction.

He was also pleased with the performance of Sherwin in his first match back in the NRL after being dropped six weeks ago, then breaking his hand. "It felt like forever," Sherwin admitted of his exile. "But I never once wanted to get out of my contract, it just made me strive to get back in the top grade and it's a bonus that the team is now top of the table."

ok guys while its great we won i dont believe folkes should have made those comments about Bailey!! he should have sent bailey off for the first fight against grimaldi anyway he was CHOKING him!!! and that late hit on Sherwin did deserve a penalty!! i just think that folkes shouldnt make comments like that cause i dont think the referring was great and alot of things went against us!!!

i would also like to point out brent sherwins comment!!! Go shifty we love you :p

Status
Not open for further replies.