Bulldogs games on DVD / VHS

Status
Not open for further replies.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have around 400+ Bulldogs games (+ others) on DVD & video dating back to 1967 & I now want to convert them to keep on a hard drive or detachable hard drive. Are there any others out there who do this & if so what product(s) do you use to do this?

I have tried all sort of video grabbing devices, most of which only convert 4:3 video & of the one I found that did do the wide screen converting, the quality wasn't very good. Keeping the best quality video is essential otherwise it isn't worth watching.

I would be very grateful for any assistance.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
There's no easy way to go from VHS > soft copy (on a hard drive), without playing the footage 1:1.

Panasonic PVR units can rip from an AV (Composite) input, and record direct to DVD (or hard drive and then from PVR HDD to DVD) but again time consuming.

Other option is a video capture card in your PC and plug VHS into it (again 1:1 playback is required though).

Try ImToo DVD Ripper for the DVD>soft copy.
http://www.imtoo.com/dvd-ripper.html

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There's no easy way to go from VHS > soft copy (on a hard drive), without playing the footage 1:1.

Panasonic PVR units can rip from an AV (Composite) input, and record direct to DVD (or hard drive and then from PVR HDD to DVD) but again time consuming.

Other option is a video capture card in your PC and plug VHS into it (again 1:1 playback is required though).

Try ImToo DVD Ripper for the DVD>soft copy.
http://www.imtoo.com/dvd-ripper.html
Thanks, time is not an issue for me & I expect to do things in "real time". I also enjoy watching the old stuff. I enjoyed seeing Geoff Robinson in only his 4th first grade game for example.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
There are places that will do it, but not sure how they go with copyrighted stuff.

I used our Panasonic PVR to rip video of sisters wedding from Mini DV tapes (in an old camcorder) to DVD (largely unedited).

That'd be the easiest way, but not the fastest.

It is largely set and forget though.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Upscaling footage made for much smaller tvs in 4:3 res are nearly always going to look poor on big tvs at much higher res. Remastering old stuff properly needs equipment and expertise most of us dont have access to. Worth putting on dvd to keep them but dont expect to be able to make it look like hd. It will actually look better kept at 4:3

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There are places that will do it, but not sure how they go with copyrighted stuff.

I used our Panasonic PVR to rip video of sisters wedding from Mini DV tapes (in an old camcorder) to DVD (largely unedited).

That'd be the easiest way, but not the fastest.

It is largely set and forget though.
I have been putting them on DVD via my Pioneer DVD recorder, but to get the best quality, a disc only fits 1 hour at XP quality. Any longer & the quality is reduced to fit on the disc. This is why I would like to put it onto a hard drive - to keep the best quality & as a back up as discs can corrupt.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Upscaling footage made for much smaller tvs in 4:3 res are nearly always going to look poor on big tvs at much higher res. Remastering old stuff properly needs equipment and expertise most of us dont have access to. Worth putting on dvd to keep them but dont expect to be able to make it look like hd. It will actually look better kept at 4:3
I don't want to re-master the games as most are in pretty good condition, but as a disc only takes 4.7 GB & games are more, any processing to a disc means that quality is reduced, which is what I want to avoid.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
When u do I’ll have a copy [emoji23]

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
You boys to kind offering to pay for mine!

Just remember who’s first [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Status
Not open for further replies.