Bulldogs Form over the past 2-3 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I see it differently, I believe Des coaches
based on consistency probably something to do with his maths background. In a game he wants to see us say complete 80% percent and we were win say 80% of games. Keep things simple and results eventually fall out way. Of course it doesn't always go to plan or always that simple but if it does its a proven formula.

How can you argue with results. 3 years 2 grand finals, a minor premiership and a top 8 finish. If we make 3 grandfinals in 5 years and win 1 it would be an extremely successful 5 years the best since the 80's. That's not boring if you ask me and quite frankly better then the bipolar teams of 2005-2011

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Des is not a boring coach. Look at manlys attack from 2007- 2011. I reckon he's doing a pretty good job with the roster we have, other coaches wouldn't even make the finals with our halves or Perret as fullback. He tried his best to bring creative players like DCE,Foran,Hayne but was unlucky not to get them. The signing of Lichhaa for Ennis is proof that he wants more creativity in our attack. It's pretty simple there aren't any quality halves out there.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
On form - no premierships.

2012 - pairing of Reynolds/Keating better than the pairing of yesteryears Reynolds/Hodko.

2013 - Maloney comes over to the Roosters to pair up with Pearce giving the Roosters a great combo - Boom 2013 premiers

2014 - 2012 and 2013 the Rabbitohs drop out in the preliminary final with Sutton at 5/8, Keary cements his spot at 5/8 midway in 2014 - Boom 2014 Premiers
Yea, cos Maloney was the only reason the Roosters won in 2013...nothing to do with a guy named SBW or another superstar in Jennings?

Keary is the reason Souths won last year? Right. He played 12 games for them last year...

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You're absolutely right. Let's all meet on the hill at Belmore and we can all drink the kool-aid and just end this miserable life that is tormenting us all so badly. The situation is hopeless.

So rather than giving our current squad time to get continuity and gel you'd rather write us off. And let me get this straight? You're suggesting we find players in the mould of Adam Perry (great defender but nothing in attack) Corey Hughes (very average on his best day) and Matt Utai (the guy matt sing used to leap over from a standing start) to fix any attacking problems we have?

So basically in your infinite wisdom you are saying we need to re-establish our 2004 team and everyone else since then has been rubbish?

Awesome strategy
You put words in my mouth. I said the impact of utai. I like how u never mentioned me saying why cant we have wings like radradra or dwz or johnston.

Adam perry and corey hughes were great for us in attack and defense. If you look at our 2004 team we had talent across the park. Our forward pack may match the 2004 pack in size but not in skill. Why cant the dogs have guys that play like hargreaves or george burgess in the team. We never really replaced steve price and mark o meley with james graham the only exception. David klemmer is going down that path but he is still young. We never replaced SBW either.

Our backline in that year was dynamic and most importantly we had kickass halves. Thats something we dont have anymore. If des hasler had that team he would have won heaps of premierships. Our current team leaves a lot to be desired.

Malla

Reaction score

2012 - pairing of Reynolds/Keating better than the pairing of yesteryears Reynolds/Hodko.

2013 - Maloney comes over to the Roosters to pair up with Pearce giving the Roosters a great combo - Boom 2013 premiers

2014 - 2012 and 2013 the Rabbitohs drop out in the preliminary final with Sutton at 5/8, Keary cements his spot at 5/8 midway in 2014 - Boom 2014 Premiers
2014 - Hodkinson and Reynolds combine in SOO and BOOM, first Origin NSW win in a decade.

LCD

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Think Des has done the best possible job with the cattle at his disposal and injuries that have impacted us. THIS YEAR HOWEVER I do think we will put some sides to the sword, just later on towards the business end of the season. With the exception of one game early on. I am backing us to belt the Rabbitohs so badly that more rabbits (supporters not players) could disappear than myxomatosis was ever able to claim during attempts to eradicate the fkn pests. For mine Des will look for consistency and error free football up until origin time to make sure we are up near the top end of the table. We don't know what impact origin will have on our team as yet. After origin we will start playing footy heading towards the finals with some more back line movements and attacking football, especially seeing how Lichaa and Morris are still working their way into the team properly. (Our halves have been done to death so not mentioning them) We aren't going to lay all the our cards on the table this early in the season to give other teams time to figure ways to negate them it when it counts. Well aware this could be wishful thinking on my part too. Still think we are specials for going back to back this year and next. CARN the DOGS

The Greatest

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

2013 - You forgot a little signing called SBW and Michael Jennings Boom
2014 - You forgot Te'o Burgess Brothers Boom

Big Nick

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

2013 without sonny goosters don't get the momentum swing, when he breaks through DCE to set up the try.

2014 as pointed out by others, souths forwards stopped alot of the dogs go forward.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I see our problem purely in the halves, with out halves there is a gap between forwards and backline and we grind wins out..

Get a confident, ball playing half and we will dominate and win games spectacularly ala souffs..

I hate Souths, but they have a good forward pack, creative halves and a quick and strong backline...

I see with the addition of Morris and Rona, we have a better squad Barr halves.. I'd be keen to get a Mbye and Reynolds combo for a bit more flair, Hodko isn't in great form and when he is, he's solid, not amazing...

Chin up, we will come good, but it just may not be as spectacular as we all want till our halves situation is cleared up-
I think you are right in what you say about our halves. The "gap" or "the missing link" is a pretty apt way of putting it and the comparison with Souths is a good one. Although I think Keary and Reynolds are both half backs, Keary does a pretty good job at five eighth.

Also its pointless having the fullback, wingers and centres now on our roster if they're standing flat footed and not getting good ball. A lot of the time our forwards hit the ball up in the first four plays of a set which doesn't strain the opposition defence much at all.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
2 Grand Finals in 3 years and look at the complaints.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Yeh..we needed this thread. Me.. I don't care if we were last the last 3 years...only care about this year. 2/3 wins so far is acceptable. We will improve too so not expecting finals like form yet. But then I am a reasonable person.

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
2012 Barba season shat all over your 2013 performances of "SBW and "Jennings" and yes Souths were rubbish last year up until midway when Keary came in.

Reynolds and Hodko won SOO so they are soo good, as it showed in the GF!

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
You put words in my mouth. I said the impact of utai. I like how u never mentioned me saying why cant we have wings like radradra or dwz or johnston.

Adam perry and corey hughes were great for us in attack and defense. If you look at our 2004 team we had talent across the park. Our forward pack may match the 2004 pack in size but not in skill. Why cant the dogs have guys that play like hargreaves or george burgess in the team. We never really replaced steve price and mark o meley with james graham the only exception. David klemmer is going down that path but he is still young. We never replaced SBW either.

Our backline in that year was dynamic and most importantly we had kickass halves. Thats something we dont have anymore. If des hasler had that team he would have won heaps of premierships. Our current team leaves a lot to be desired.
One does not simply replace SBW, he is a once in a generation type of freak. Hell similar can be said for Steve Price or in his prime O'Meley.

James Graham is one that could though there are what 4-5 props in the comp in the same league?

JWH might be great in some aspects though if he played for us the place would be in rage non stop of his stupid penalties. Watch him every single game he gives away a few.

Klemmer will be a beast for years to come if he continues to develop as he has.

I agree our attack blows. Though as others have said with Perrett at fullback he was only ever going to be solid. He isn't a rip a game open type of player. Don't even bother bringing up Mitch bloody Brown. He is woeful. They have added Brett Morris & Curtis Rona that is a huge step and something we are yet to see the best of.

The major problem in my opinion is Hodkinson. He was solid last year and serviceable, though again he has very very little attacking ability. He is playing like a busted ass. I don't care if he gives a pass to get a stat to which he had no role in creating other then the final pass to an umarked player. He can't create a overlap, he can't break the line, he can't put in an attacking kick. Don't get me wrong he is very good in defense and is still a O.K halfback in the NRL. Though he is one of the worst when it comes to all respects in attack.

I would be much more interested in seeing how Mbye & Reynolds could combine. Reynolds offers a lot in attack and if he can cut the rubbish out he offers a lot more then the others in my books, has shown he can kick 40/20's has been working on it, can grubber (how a half can't I have no idea, runs pretty well.

Mbye has shown he can ball play with some cut out passes, some attacking runs etc and he has barley had a chance to cement himself to show us what he can do. He may yet prove the complete package if he had a chance though could go the other way and flop.

I think this has a lot more to do with out lackluster attack then anything else though B Morris and Rona will only improve this along with Sammy P back on the wing. Just need the 6 & 7 to start grubbing for repeat sets and allowing ball for Lafai & Morris & Morris & Perrett & Rona without someone waiting for them or no room to move.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
2012 Barba season shat all over your 2013 performances of "SBW and "Jennings" and yes Souths were rubbish last year up until midway when Keary came in.

Reynolds and Hodko won SOO so they are soo good, as it showed in the GF!
ok right now we are second, so lets hope for an injury to the keary so that we can win the title!

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score

Have you just watched the 2004 DVD or something? You sound like a kid at the Easter show who gets a chocolate ice cream and then cries because the kid next to him has strawberry. "I don't want this one, I want that one"

There are 15 other clubs all trying to recruit and develop players. You can't have a hissy fit because you want a player that's at another club. The wingers you mention all had breakout years last year. Rona has only a few games under his belt. By the end of the year he may be just as good if not better than those guys. There are clubs that would kill for our roster. We have a brand new spine and need time for it to come together.

You keep referring to 2004 but we were 2-1 after three rounds that year too. We also got flogged 35-0 by the roosters. Do you think guys were writing posts then saying "Back in 1995 our team was unstoppable. We have never really replaced players like Lamb, Pay, Hetherington, Silva"

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Have you just watched the 2004 DVD or something? You sound like a kid at the Easter show who gets a chocolate ice cream and then cries because the kid next to him has strawberry. "I don't want this one, I want that one"

There are 15 other clubs all trying to recruit and develop players. You can't have a hissy fit because you want a player that's at another club. The wingers you mention all had breakout years last year. Rona has only a few games under his belt. By the end of the year he may be just as good if not better than those guys. There are clubs that would kill for our roster. We have a brand new spine and need time for it to come together.

You keep referring to 2004 but we were 2-1 after three rounds that year too. We also got flogged 35-0 by the roosters. Do you think guys were writing posts then saying "Back in 1995 our team was unstoppable. We have never really replaced players like Lamb, Pay, Hetherington, Silva"

I wish i could watch that again but the memories of 2004 will be with me for life.

I dont mean to cause any arguments or anything like that i dont mean to stir anyone up i just give my opinion and listen to everyone elses and thats what makes this enjoyable.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Maybe Im getting soft.
Maybe Im exhausted after having this analysis recently.

But it should be noted, I havent said sh*t yet ... :p

I just wanna get through tonight with the "W" !

Status
Not open for further replies.