Bulldogs express interest in Panthers flyer Taylan May

Scoobs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Mate they rort the cap. Everyone knows it.

They are obviously just smart at it.
i don't buy that. they lose plenty of players and seem to get plenty of players for unders. If i had to guess i reckon they make plenty of lofty promises for post-career that probably aren't above board, but in terms of book value of their cap i reckon they just leverage their influence and networks. still hate the pricks

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep agree mate but seriously who do the roosters lose that they don’t want to keep ??

It’s very ,very , very rare.

Only one in recent memory was RTS about 8 years ago
So the panthers are forced to shed quality players each year due to salary cap constraints but the roosters hardly ever shed quality players…so sick of them always recruiting the best players in the comp

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate they rort the cap. Everyone knows it.

They are obviously just smart at it.
Technically no rorting is required - they just need motivated 3rd party sponsors, and that is where uncle nick comes in, delivering them through his billionaire network.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Technically no rorting is required - they just need motivated 3rd party sponsors, and that is where uncle nick comes in, delivering them through his billionaire network.
I have been to a roosters games as a friend was a member of the chairman’s club
It’s a who’s who of eastern suburbs businessmen as you point out they have no trouble at all with getting 3rd party money

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i don't buy that. they lose plenty of players and seem to get plenty of players for unders. If i had to guess i reckon they make plenty of lofty promises for post-career that probably aren't above board, but in terms of book value of their cap i reckon they just leverage their influence and networks. still hate the pricks
There’s a big difference between losing players and losing players they want to keep.

Can you name “plenty” of quality players that they have lost in the last 20 years ??

You just have to look at the article last year when all teams were given a market value on their squad. There squad was a fair way in front of the others.

As you said, they offer post career opportunities that are not above board. That’s rorting

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There’s a big difference between losing players and losing players they want to keep.

Can you name “plenty” of quality players that they have lost in the last 20 years ??

You just have to look at the article last year when all teams were given a market value on their squad. There squad was a fair way in front of the others.

As you said, they offer post career opportunities that are not above board. That’s rorting
just have a look at the roosters squad...they have bot only a quality roster but have quality depth in EVERY position....its just insane that witjha salary cap you can have a quality player to cover for every position...look at their forwards...look at their backs...name me one shit player...how the hec to they retain them under the cap??? The mind boggles!

Scoobs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
just have a look at the roosters squad...they have bot only a quality roster but have quality depth in EVERY position....its just insane that witjha salary cap you can have a quality player to cover for every position...look at their forwards...look at their backs...name me one shit player...how the hec to they retain them under the cap??? The mind boggles!
You could say the same for penrith, broncos, and to a certain extent cowboys, eels and storm. It's hard to accept but as a club that has been mis-managed (across cap and all other aspects) for 10+ years there is a sense the good clubs are cheating. it's actually just an indication of how far we have fallen

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
No matter how many elite players they buy, they won't win a comp until they steal an established half off another club.
Fitler, Maloney, Keary, Cronk. Proof in the pudding, they can't develop their own halves and win a comp, always stealing others. Keary is washed now and Walker doesn't have the temperament to run the team.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No matter how many elite players they buy, they won't win a comp until they steal an established half off another club.
Fitler, Maloney, Keary, Cronk. Proof in the pudding, they can't develop their own halves and win a comp, always stealing others. Keary is washed now and Walker doesn't have the temperament to run the team.
yes true but we havent even been able to develop our own halves...

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Easy, TwoPoos is over the hill, Tedesco is past it, Walker is shit and they have no back up since we grabbed Hutchison, we also pinched their only decent hooker (Turpin), Manu is off to the All Blacks, Robinson is rubbish, hopeless without Fitzgibbon, Keary still is grossly overrated and they have no back up for him, SewerLilli was rubbish last year and is plainly saving himself for Union. There’s plenty more.

Always a Bulldog

Last edited:

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could say the same for penrith, broncos, and to a certain extent cowboys, eels and storm. It's hard to accept but as a club that has been mis-managed (across cap and all other aspects) for 10+ years there is a sense the good clubs are cheating. it's actually just an indication of how far we have fallen
Sorry mate you are missing the point a bit.

The roosters lose far, far less quality players than any other club.

Period.

Have a look at the players that we lost to them back when we were flying. Myles, Mason, O'Meley, Anasta. I cant remember us ever signing a quality player from them.

Penrith lose heaps of players. So do Parra. So do the storm. So does everyone except the roosters.

Again, try and name quality players who they have lost in the last 20 years. All I can think of is RTS and Lattrell (more so because of his attitude). The panthers lose 2 or 3 every year. The roosters lose 1 or 2 every bloody 20 years

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
yes true but we havent even been able to develop our own halves...
Yeah but we aren't above the rules like Roosters. We have gone about rectifying a cap and junior mess with integrity

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Easy, TwoPoos is over the hill, Tedesco is past it, Walker is shit and they have no back up since we grabbed Hutchison, we also pinched their only decent hooker (Turpin), Manu is off to the All Blacks, Robinson is rubbish, hopeless without Fitzgibbon, Keary still is grossly overrated and they have no back up for him, SewerLilli was rubbish last year and is plainly saving himself for Union. There’s plenty more.

Always a Bulldog
Piggy’s argument is their roster based on their open market value is grossly over the cap….the varying opinions of the players ability is irrelevant. There’s no question the chooks are doing something legal or illegal to get around it….. I’d say the marquee players (of which is half the team) would have some strings attached to their deals (e.g. we buy you on the books for $X and the remaining $X you receive, with interest, from investments guided by our network of astute financial advisors or buy this Bondi beachfront property off the plan for $X and presto, it just turned into millions…

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Piggy’s argument is their roster based on their open market value is grossly over the cap….the varying opinions of the players ability is irrelevant. There’s no question the chooks are doing something legal or illegal to get around it….. I’d say the marquee players (of which is half the team) would have some strings attached to their deals (e.g. we buy you on the books for $X and the remaining $X you receive, with interest, from investments guided by our network of astute financial advisors or buy this Bondi beachfront property off the plan for $X and presto, it just turned into millions…
There strings attached to player deals should be illegal under the salary cap….there should be no 3rd party allowances…nothing attached outside the contract…and there should be a minimum value attached to each player to stop clubs from signing players for ‘unders”

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry mate you are missing the point a bit.

The roosters lose far, far less quality players than any other club.

Period.

Have a look at the players that we lost to them back when we were flying. Myles, Mason, O'Meley, Anasta. I cant remember us ever signing a quality player from them.

Penrith lose heaps of players. So do Parra. So do the storm. So does everyone except the roosters.

Again, try and name quality players who they have lost in the last 20 years. All I can think of is RTS and Lattrell (more so because of his attitude). The panthers lose 2 or 3 every year. The roosters lose 1 or 2 every bloody 20 years
Look at the forwards the roosters have….and to think they have more money to buy players like May…

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at the forwards the roosters have….and to think they have more money to buy players like May…
You are preaching to the converted bro.

The thing that made the NRL a laughing stock was when they signed Cronk in 2018.

He didn’t become available until the 2017 season finished yet they still had $1 million plus to spend for 2018. That’s even after signing Tedesco.

They then publicly stated that they had the salary cap room to keep , yes keep, Mitchell Pearce even after they signed Cronk. He only left after he wasn’t guaranteed a start.

So their 2018 spine would have been :

1. Tedesco
6. Keary
7. Cronk
9. Friend
14. Pearce

Not sure how they keep a straight face

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are preaching to the converted bro.

The thing that made the NRL a laughing stock was when they signed Cronk in 2018.

He didn’t become available until the 2017 season finished yet they still had $1 million plus to spend for 2018. That’s even after signing Tedesco.

They then publicly stated that they had the salary cap room to keep , yes keep, Mitchell Pearce even after they signed Cronk. He only left after he wasn’t guaranteed a start.

So their 2018 spine would have been :

1. Tedesco
6. Keary
7. Cronk
9. Friend
14. Pearce

Not sure how they keep a straight face
what a joke the NRL and salary cap management has become

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
Roosters didn't want Hutchinson and Turpin. They chose to go with Sandon Smith and Zach Docker Clay.

Turpin was a dud signing for them and flicked him at first opportunity.

Hutchinson is a poor mans Mitch Aubusson.

They only have 26 of their Top 30 spots allocated.

They use the system to their advantage. They don't pay contracts for players to be at other clubs.

We are supposed to have a genius who can work the system like Nick Politis.