Bulldogs excited by Morris double threat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Josh Morris believes his twin brother Brett can be the missing piece of the Canterbury jigsaw as the Bulldogs look to win a first NRL premiership in 11 years.

Despite reaching last year’s grand final, only Cronulla, Gold Coast and the Wests Tigers scored less points than the Bulldogs before the finals.

But Morris said the arrival of his younger sibling by 10 minutes will improve that statistic.

“I am bit biased but I think he is one of the best finishers in the game,” Morris told AAP.

“He’s a major asset for us. We didn’t score as many tries as we would have liked to last season and that is why Des (Hasler) has brought him in.

“Him and Curtis Rona are proven finishers and that could be the difference between success and falling short again like we did in the 2012 GF and last year.”

NSW and Kangaroos star Brett will play at fullback for his new side following his shock move from St George Illawarra but Josh said switching him to the No.1 shirt for the first time since 2008 is not a risky move by Hasler.

“He started off playing at fullback then got put out on the wing and made a great fist of that,” he said.

“He’s excited about playing fullback and I think you can see from the way we play the fullback is a supporting player.

“Our forwards like to ball play and so do our halves and Brett will be looking to come in off the back of that and he’ll score a lot of tries this year for us.”

Bulldogs five-eighth Josh Reynolds admits he’s been blown away by some of Morris’ performances when watching from afar and said his arrival has created a real buzz around the club.

“He’s just a freak of nature, whenever I watch him he’s always doing something pretty special,” Reynolds said of his NSW teammate.

“Whether it be flying above someone and scoring an amazing try or beating someone for pace … he’ll be great for this team.

“He’s a very level-headed bloke and been in the system for a very long time so knows exactly what to do.

“He’s obviously played for NSW and Australia many times and I know a lot of our young outside backs look up to him.”

© AAP 2015

http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/03/0...heroar/rugby-league+(The+Roar+-+Rugby+League)

nassman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even if he plays an identical style to perret his speed alone is going to make a huge difference for us in attack.

We now have a true speedster in our ranks, something we haven't had since barba ****ed off. He's not as explosive but it's not like he isn't quick off the mark, if he can learn to trail the forwards and play off the back of offloads we should see our attack come to life again.

We only need another try or two per game and we'll be unstoppable, our defence is up there with the best in the league.

I can't ****ing wait. Congratulations to our club, they've recruited exceptionally well without having to lose any big names (except ennis but I think everyone agrees Lichaa is the future).

Last edited by a moderator:

jamescairns2

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Too early to call ATM. But we have plugged our holes, and with those holes we were still Grand Finalists. This is our year. I am crazy excited to see Brett tear it up

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
i hope the prescence of bmoz lifts jmoz game because to be brutally honest he hasnt been lighting it up in the last 2seasons. injuries should not be an excuse, in 2013 he only scored 3 tries all year inj free and last year he rushed back for origin before his knee was ready and against club doctors will. he owes us a big year and i wish him well. i woiuldnt want to be showed up by my younger bro lol

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Well looking at our backline. Here is how I see it.

1. B Morris - Quick off the mark, and quick over 100m, but not a powerful runner. Only probably 10 or so guys in the game (if that) who could run him down at full pace.
2. Perrett - Not terribly fast, nor quick off the mark, but makes up for it in footwork. Career best year was with us on the wing. Lets hope he can reproduce that this year.
3. J Morris - Not terribly fast (since knee injury), but runs quite powerfully, and combined with his size, can break the line.
4. T Lafai - Not terribly fast, but incredible footwork and a very powerful ball runner. Combined with his size and massive fend, can be very hard to stop.
5. C Rona - Not terribly not fast, but has a massive stride so covers ground easily. Another powerful runner and excellent finisher who is hard to stop close to the line.

Brett and Curtis both have history as being crazy finishers, and aerial freaks. Able to put themselves at absurd angles to score tries. Add in the power of Lafai's game, and you have one heck of a backline.

Definitely not the fastest, nor quickest off the mark, but good allround.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was checking the panthers forum one clown wrote an easy win for the panthers lol

Dapper Dog

Deitz-ciple
Reaction score
1. B Morris - Quick off the mark, and quick over 100m, but not a powerful runner. Only probably 10 or so guys in the game (if that) who could run him down at full pace.
I'm hoping we can try to capitalise on his speed off the mark with some attacking grubber kicks. They weren't a part of our attacking arsenal last year and they would certainly boost our chances of attaining a repeat set

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I'm hoping we can try to capitalise on his speed off the mark with some attacking grubber kicks. They weren't a part of our attacking arsenal last year and they would certainly boost our chances of attaining a repeat set
This is where we will miss the speed of Thompson on the flanks. Rona isn't as fast off the mark... BUT .. the blokes taller than a giraffe.

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
This is where we will miss the speed of Thompson on the flanks. Rona isn't as fast off the mark... BUT .. the blokes taller than a giraffe.
Thompson did not appear that fast.

I doubt he is quicker then any of the Morris boys or Rona.

Lafai is also probably quicker then him...

N

Natboy

I was always waiting to see Thompson in clear space to see his pace but must admit I don't think I did

Dapper Dog

Deitz-ciple
Reaction score
I was always waiting to see Thompson in clear space to see his pace but must admit I don't think I did
I remembered seeing Thompson run down in open space last season (and I was a little disappointed because his speed had been talked up quite a bit on these forums). Turns out it was against Penrith and I found it on this highlight package: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL49OTYHsyM.
Skip to 0:34 (and watch until at least 0:46). It's actually a really decent highlights package

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Thompson did not appear that fast.

I doubt he is quicker then any of the Morris boys or Rona.

Lafai is also probably quicker then him...
He's quicker than people realise.

See below where he almost outpaces Josh Mansour (who is very fast himself).

[video=youtube;gL49OTYHsyM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL49OTYHsyM[/video]

korrmatta1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i hope the prescence of bmoz lifts jmoz game because to be brutally honest he hasnt been lighting it up in the last 2seasons. injuries should not be an excuse, in 2013 he only scored 3 tries all year inj free and last year he rushed back for origin before his knee was ready and against club doctors will. he owes us a big year and i wish him well. i woiuldnt want to be showed up by my younger bro lol
And let in zero trys. And played origin/test footy. Lol

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Curtis Rona high light reel...

[video=youtube;LRLTEyWY7Uc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRLTEyWY7Uc[/video]

Curtis Rona 2014 - Young Star

[video=youtube;UXf2szgMAQk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXf2szgMAQk[/video]

[h=1]Brett Morris || Final Season as a Dragon - 2014[/h]
[video=youtube;42ouPclYCJM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42ouPclYCJM[/video]

Get excited 4 days to go!!! Here Come the Dogs 2015!!!

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Try Scoring is exactly what we needed

Him and Rona will kill it

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Would of loved to see Morris on the wing for us giving us the baddest left flank in the comp, prolly on too much coin for out there.
Oh well the fullback question is finally answered, hope he is good under the high ball, could take some time for him to adjust.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I remembered seeing Thompson run down in open space last season (and I was a little disappointed because his speed had been talked up quite a bit on these forums). Turns out it was against Penrith and I found it on this highlight package: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL49OTYHsyM.
Skip to 0:34 (and watch until at least 0:46). It's actually a really decent highlights package
Lol thank you for showing that. Thompson had heaps of oppurtunites to show his speed last year but fans of his still say if he has open space he'll fly. Well he didn't fly he got ran down and also like wtf are the other teams meant to make space for him to move? the excuses are unbelievable. If thompson was that quick and great at fullback I'm sure hasler with all his knowledge and history in the game would have acknowledged it and put him at fullback. But obviously Thompson fans are over hyping him for some fkd up reason like his fkn flash or something. And rona not faster than Thompson is complete bullshit, and also rona won't need excuses like ohhh if only he had open space he could show his real speed. Rona can break the line and his footwork can make opposition players run in circles. So he creates his own space unlike Thompson who needs the opposition to lay down for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.