Bulldogs DNA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
With all the news lately I have been reading heaps about Bulldogs DNA and Culture. For me I thought it was obvious what is meant by this but surprisingly enough many people have asked what that is. Have even seen and had discussions on here about what that is, blows my mind when our own fans don't get it. I expect it as I have read in the "comments" section of many articles from enemy fans fully dismissing this notion.

DNA and Culture for me in regards to our club means,

Brutal defence and a pack mentality (Dogs of War), exciting attack (Entertainers), sticking together (Family Club) and us crazy one-eyed fans......all of these traits are what make us.....US!

This is our DNA and Culture and what has always made us successful!

Thoughts?

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Bulldogs DNA = Pride in the jersey, Passion for the win and never giving up and local juniors stepping up into first grade.

all have been missing lately.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
And never giving up. Some of my favourite memories is when the dogs played those 3 x 100 minutes games in a row into the GF, an amazing experience and effort!

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Culture is the way of thinking, behaving, or working that has always existed within the club and on the field. Culture is about our core beliefs, which are unchanging for any individual. It defines who we are and sets us apart from other clubs.

Last edited:

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
With the "true" Bulldogs you could have your foot on our throat and we'd still be swinging strong trying to knock you out......we could be down by 30 points but still we'd be running as hard as possible and tackling with everything we had until that full time siren sounds

Us fans could walk away from a loss knowing that the better team actually did win and we gave it our all, there were no passengers out there and you could cop the loss

And when you thought of the Bulldogs the names that came to mind were people who stood tall among others, names like Peter Moore, Steve Mortimer, Hazem El masri, Steve Price, George Peponis......the list goes on

You didn't have to be the biggest name or the flashiest player in the game to make it at the dogs you just had to push yourself and get there with hard work and grit giving it your all week in week out, examples being fan favourites like Steve Reardon, Tony Grimaldi, Simon Gillies, Robert Relf, Mitch Newton, Matt Ryan etc

Last edited:

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All you need to do is have a look at the rosters Brisbane, Canberra had in the 90's, not only did we compete we held our own against those rosters and beat them... That's the Bulldogs culture we need to return to!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It is just an excuse to flame des in the media based on the changes he made at the club. If the changes he made ended up coming off then we would all be talking about how he revolutionised the club...instead his changes turned out to be shit so we start hearing about his lack of bulldog DNA or understanding of the club culture.

I couldn't give a shit if our next coach has experience with the club or not, i just hope he is a good coach and plays a brand of footy that us dog fans can be happy with and actually look forward to seeing each week no matter the result.

Reaction score
All you need to do is have a look at the rosters Brisbane, Canberra had in the 90's, not only did we compete we held our own against those rosters and beat them... That's the Bulldogs culture we need to return to!
exactly, raiders v broncos game then was like a state of origin game. i was inside at the raiders at the height of their green machine era i did my lv2 strength and conditioning ticket with them, they allowed me to rack up the required hours by letting me go to training and games hanging out watching their operation. i had the time of my life giving it to them when we beat them in 95

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many time did the commentators use the word bashing, haven't heard that word associated with us for a long time, time to bring the dogs of war back!

dab

New Pup
Reaction score
It is just an excuse to flame des in the media based on the changes he made at the club. If the changes he made ended up coming off then we would all be talking about how he revolutionised the club...instead his changes turned out to be shit so we start hearing about his lack of bulldog DNA or understanding of the club culture.

I couldn't give a shit if our next coach has experience with the club or not, i just hope he is a good coach and plays a brand of footy that us dog fans can be happy with and actually look forward to seeing each week no matter the result.

Spot on. The board chose to buy comps with this guy rather than build them they couldn't give a shit about DNA and yes its back fired into this circus. I also expect club DNA to pretty low on the agenda of the next coach too.. The era of clubs having an identity is long gone.

One thing about hasler is he is fighting for his career here and I wouldn't expect he would allow next year to be a right off as it would look poorly on his cv which is what it's all about for him. A numbers man, he figures you make the 8 year after year (which is not hard to do) and statistics would probably show one of those years you get some luck and win a comp. Having said that he has lost the dressing room and his staff and with this circus over the last couple weeks he fate is sealed.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

So why so much emphasis on a coach who has some connection with the club? Are people saying that a coach such as cleary wouldnt bring us those traits in the team that we crave for?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
3 words...

DOGS OF WAR!

I just don't want to win games, I want to demolish the opposition while we win games.

Ruthless, hungry mofos!

Malla

Reaction score
3 words...

DOGS OF WAR!

I just don't want to win games, I want to demolish the opposition while we win games.

Ruthless, hungry mofos!
Right on. And we actually have the team to do it with Klemmer, Kasiano, Graham, Jackson and Eastwood in our pack....but Des ball.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Problem is with all this DNA talk... the game has changed... evolved if you may.

Big bulking forwards smashing bloke with shoulder charges... it's the days of old.
Big forwards grinding out a win... it's the days of old.

The game has changed. Big, tall strong wingers/centres/fullbacks. Fleet of foot halves. Sharp hookers, and a mobile solid foward pack.

The game recently changed and we somehow failed to adapt as well as other teams did (recruitment wise as well).

The Dogs of War are the Dogs of Old... entrenched into the history books, but the game has changed... time to write a new chapter on the modern era Bulldogs.

Malla

Reaction score
Problem is with all this DNA talk... the game has changed... evolved if you may.

Big bulking forwards smashing bloke with shoulder charges... it's the days of old.

The game has changed. Big, tall strong wingers/centres/fullbacks. Fleet of foot halves. Sharp hookers, and a mobile solid foward pack.

The game recently changed and we somehow failed to adapt as well as other teams did (recruitment wise as well).

The Dogs of War are the Dogs of Old... entrenched into the history books, but the game has changed... time to write a new chapter on the modern era Bulldogs.
The game has developed, but you look at the top 4 teams this year and all had big forward packs that dominated - Sharks, Raiders, Cowboys and Storm. Sharks only beat Storm because their forward pack ran all over their's.

As much as the game is about mobility these days, you are still going to put yourself in a position to win if your forwards can dominate up front.

Reaction score

you're right there, first grade was already pretty fast, but it's gone to another level in last couple of years.
we haven't rolled with the times. Physicality will still win the smash battle, but the opposition can now soak a bashing and come over the top in the final quarter.
our fowards are too big, and our backs are too small. mobility, agility, endurance are the traits our recruiting has ignored.
pace in the backs, mobility in the fowards, spine with fast reaction times, we need to build on that

Status
Not open for further replies.