Bulldogs chair denies using reform to wage vendetta

Status
Not open for further replies.

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...a/news-story/f3959c1ad8cdd0edab0a021826200c7e

The boardroom powerplay at Canterbury has spilled over to the ARL Commission, with Bulldogs chair Lynne Anderson forced to deny claims she and fellow directors used constitutional reform as part of a personal vendetta against club great and NSW Rugby League chair George Peponis.

Peponis, who is also chair of the Canterbury Leagues Club, was expected to join the commission as part of the reform process, which would have resulted in the Queensland and NSW rugby leagues each being given a place on a 10-person body.

After the initial plan was rejected by three clubs — Canterbury, Gold Coast and Melbourne — a compromise deal was put forward that would have seen Peponis and his Queensland counterpart Bruce Hatcher joining the commission on the proviso they stood down from their roles as state chairs.

But both state bodies yesterday rejected the compromise deal, insisting that they and the clubs had reached an agreement last year which a trio of clubs had now backflipped on.

Against that backdrop, drama in the corridors at Canterbury flared again. Anderson, who recently ousted Ray Dib as chair of the football club following an acrimonious election process, was the subject of rumours that she had contacted Peponis — a staunch ally of Dib — at the weekend with a compromise deal of her own aimed at removing him from the Canterbury Leagues Club board.

Anderson confirmed she had spoken to Peponis on Sunday but denied suggestions she had told the former club captain that the Bulldogs would clear the way for him to join the commission if he stood down from his role at the leagues club.

“We had a board meeting on Saturday of the Canterbury Football Club, so it was done before I even talked to George,” Anderson said.

“Basically, I was ringing him because one of the proposed amendments was around the NSW Rugby League and the QRL having to not be given the 18-month transition period.

“I wanted to know where the NSW Rugby League sat on that. He told me he wasn’t going to be rushed into a decision because the NSW Rugby League is opening a Centre of Excellence towards the end of the year and he wanted to see that through. ”

Told that Anderson had denied using the commission as leverage to remove him from the leagues club board, Peponis replied: “It happened.”

The jousting behind the scenes at Canterbury comes as the club prepares to open its season against Melbourne in Perth on Saturday night, the beginning of a new era under coach Dean Pay.

Anderson, who has endured a difficult week after attending the funeral of her brother-in-law Steve Folkes, will be overseas in her capacity as CEO of the Australian Paralympic Committee.

The leagues club elections are due to be conducted in a fortnight, but those wishing to stand for election had until last night to nominate. Peponis has nominated and is expected to retain his place on the board, although the football club will hold the balance of power as it is given four of the seven positions. It means Peponis is unlikely to remain chair after the leagues club elections on March 21.

It also leaves Peponis in a difficult position as he finds himself in the minority but determined to remain as a director while the leagues club undergoes a multimillion-dollar refurbishment, of which he has been the driving force.

Gary McIntyre, boss of the Bulldogs during the 2002 salary cap scandal, is among those standing for the leagues club board.

McIntyre was forced to stand down following the widespread roring of the cap, which led to the Bulldogs being fined $1 million and docked 37 premiership points.

Peponis was largely responsible for cleaning up the mess that McIntyre left behind, yet he now finds his position under threat as McIntyre makes his latest attempt to reignite his association with the Bulldogs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
She hasn’t been in for two seconds, and already making headlines. Can we have a chair that doesn’t like the limelight, please!!!

Was thinking the same.. it's a little annoying to be honest.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I really havent liked the way she goes about things from day 1 ,she acts like a cowboy and lies like rae rae used to

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The boardroom powerplay at Canterbury has spilled over to the ARL Commission, with Bulldogs chair Lynne Anderson forced to deny claims she and fellow directors used constitutional reform as part of a personal vendetta against club great and NSW Rugby League chair George Peponis.

Peponis, who is also chair of the Canterbury Leagues Club, was expected to join the commission as part of the reform process, which would have resulted in the Queensland and NSW rugby leagues each being given a place on a 10-person body.

After the initial plan was rejected by three clubs — Canterbury, Gold Coast and Melbourne — a compromise deal was put forward that would have seen Peponis and his Queensland counterpart Bruce Hatcher joining the commission on the proviso they stood down from their roles as state chairs.

But both state bodies yesterday rejected the compromise deal, insisting that they and the clubs had reached an agreement last year which a trio of clubs had now backflipped on.

Against that backdrop, drama in the corridors at Canterbury flared again. Anderson, who recently ousted Ray Dib as chair of the football club following an acrimonious election process, was the subject of rumours that she had contacted Peponis — a staunch ally of Dib — at the weekend with a compromise deal of her own aimed at removing him from the Canterbury Leagues Club board.

Anderson confirmed she had spoken to Peponis on Sunday but denied suggestions she had told the former club captain that the Bulldogs would clear the way for him to join the commission if he stood down from his role at the leagues club.

“We had a board meeting on Saturday of the Canterbury Football Club, so it was done before I even talked to George,” Anderson said.

“Basically, I was ringing him because one of the proposed amendments was around the NSW Rugby League and the QRL having to not be given the 18-month transition period.

“I wanted to know where the NSW Rugby League sat on that. He told me he wasn’t going to be rushed into a decision because the NSW Rugby League is opening a Centre of Excellence towards the end of the year and he wanted to see that through. ”

Told that Anderson had denied using the commission as leverage to remove him from the leagues club board, Peponis replied: “It happened.”

The jousting behind the scenes at Canterbury comes as the club prepares to open its season against Melbourne in Perth on Saturday night, the beginning of a new era under coach Dean Pay.

Anderson, who has endured a difficult week after attending the funeral of her brother-in-law Steve Folkes, will be overseas in her capacity as CEO of the Australian Paralympic Committee.

The leagues club elections are due to be conducted in a fortnight, but those wishing to stand for election had until last night to nominate. Peponis has nominated and is expected to retain his place on the board, although the football club will hold the balance of power as it is given four of the seven positions. It means Peponis is unlikely to remain chair after the leagues club elections on March 21.

It also leaves Peponis in a difficult position as he finds himself in the minority but determined to remain as a director while the leagues club undergoes a multimillion-dollar refurbishment, of which he has been the driving force.

Gary McIntyre, boss of the Bulldogs during the 2002 salary cap scandal, is among those standing for the leagues club board.

McIntyre was forced to stand down following the widespread roring of the cap, which led to the Bulldogs being fined $1 million and docked 37 premiership points.

Peponis was largely responsible for cleaning up the mess that McIntyre left behind, yet he now finds his position under threat as McIntyre makes his latest attempt to reignite his association with the Bulldogs.
If people knew the whole story from the inside you wouldn't believe this crap from the newspaper, I'm telling you the Leagues club would be much better off without mr Peponis and much better off with Gary Mcintyre

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That story flipped and flopped so much, I read it twice, and still don’t know what they’re getting at ?
Who wrote this ? A 12yo ?

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think people are still trying to destabilise the new board. FFS they have just been elected. People should forget their past agendas and start supporting the club.
I havnt seen anything that they have done wrong, and dont expect to.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
With Dr G openly declaring his preference for Dib and Co and calling into question Anderson and Co's bonafides and integrity, his position at the Leagues Club could only pan out one way...he made the choice to be biased in his assessment and recommendation. If anyone here was on the Reform ticket, you'd all be dealing with Dr George the same way that our new CEO will...she seems very competent, yet very determined to get the club back up to where we want to be, so we'll soon see.

N

Natboy

I think people are still trying to destabilise the new board. FFS they have just been elected. People should forget their past agendas and start supporting the club.
I havnt seen anything that they have done wrong, and dont expect to.
They remind me of Hillary Clinton supporters. The decision went to a democratic vote, accept it & move on FFS

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So they want McIntyre back. Why not get Malcolm Noad and complete the team.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
They remind me of Hillary Clinton supporters. The decision went to a democratic vote, accept it & move on FFS
In the Clinton hokey pokey the finger never goes in....it's just pointed straight out and shaken all about. The same can be said of the hokey pokey for apologists for the previous board I guess.....

Side note: Trump supporters have a lot of problems accepting certain realities also.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was thinking the same.. it's a little annoying to be honest.
Just deal with it in house!!! If she really meant what she said about bringing the family club back, then that’s how she should handle it! If she has a lot of work to do like she said after she won, then she needs to tell the media you have 2 minutes and that’s 2 minutes tooooooo long!!!!

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

The Money and Power hungry thieves are tightening their grip on the the Major Prize ((
The Leagues and it's profits ))

Status
Not open for further replies.