Bulldogs CEO hoping that Oloapu can fill “vital” role in the halves

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs CEO Aaron Warburton has sung the praises of 18-year-old Karl Oloapu, just days after the club secured his services.

The Broncos’ junior has been touted as one of the game’s future superstars but requested a release from his deal at Red Hill in order to pursue a first-grade opportunity at Belmore.

Oloapu had previously signed a three-year deal at Brisbane but lured the Bulldogs into paying a stunning $500,000 transfer fee in order to release him ahead of the 2023 season.

Speaking to SEN Warburton opened up about the high hopes he has for the teenager and how the club plans to use the youngster throughout the year.

“I’m not the only one saying it, he’s probably the number one (most) talented teenagers in the game at the moment, (he’s) still got a fair bit to prove, obviously he’ll make one of the top 30 spots,” Warburton said on SEN 1170 The Run Home.

When he plays first grade this year, that’ll be Cameron (Ciraldo) and the coaching team’s decision… he’s not a name that’s just popped up on the radar, he’s one of the most talented (players), most clubs are aware of him.”

The Bulldogs were in a tense battle to land the teenager’s services, going head-to-head with the Dolphins before eventually beating the NRL’s 17th side to his signature.

“We’re hoping he fits a pretty vital role for us in the halves, having depth there has been a challenge for the club for a number of years,” Warburton said.

“He comes in as an eighteen-year-old with high hopes for himself personally but also for the club, Cameron is smart he won’t put too much pressure on him.

The Bulldogs were in a tense battle to land the teenager’s services, going head-to-head with the Dolphins before eventually beating the NRL’s 17th side to his signature.

“We’re hoping he fits a pretty vital role for us in the halves, having depth there has been a challenge for the club for a number of years,” Warburton said.

“He comes in as an eighteen-year-old with high hopes for himself personally but also for the club, Cameron is smart he won’t put too much pressure on him.

“He’s with us for the next few years, so we’ll make sure we’ll introduce him to the first-grade team when he’s ready, he’s only been here for three or so days at the moment, he’s probably getting his head around heaps of things not just where he fits into the team and combinations but just getting used to the club which he will do very quickly I’m sure.”

Oloapu is unlikely to play in the Bulldogs’ 2023 season opener against the Sea Eagles on the 4th of March, with Kyle Flanagan the favourite to partner Matt Burton in the halves.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In other sources they said Broncos refused to release him to the Dolphs. Otherwise they may well have taken him.

Burt Matton

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He lured the bulldogs into paying the transfer fee hey. Hope he’s as tricky on the field as he is on the street.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He lured the bulldogs into paying the transfer fee hey. Hope he’s as tricky on the field as he is on the street.
Should be more of it for youngsters. If the Donks have invested in bringing him through, they should be compensated for losing him (even if they are to blame for his departure). Donks should also be made to forward a percentage to his jnr club.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lols at the last paragraph..no shit "sherlock" :tearsofjoy:

Rrally hope this kid is the answer for our halves and becomes the absolute weapon we need but it isn't going to happen overnight.
Read elsewhere(but dont know how accurate the goss is)he is bigger and taller than he looks in some clips I saw, 90-100 kegs and over 6 ft tall?

Any current photos of the lad floating about?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Lols at the last paragraph..no shit "sherlock" :tearsofjoy:

Rrally hope this kid is the answer for our halves and becomes the absolute weapon we need but it isn't going to happen overnight.
Read elsewhere(but dont know how accurate the goss is)he is bigger and taller than he looks in some clips I saw, 90-100 kegs and over 6 ft tall?

Any current photos of the lad floating about?
Yes he's bigger than me

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a hefty transfer fee for an 18 year old that has not played FG but I am happy the club has gambled on a half... we were going nowhere until we started addressing the spine (eg. Burton, Mahoney)

The club really should not be hyping the kid up just yet though

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Oloapu is unlikely to play in the Bulldogs’ 2023 season opener against the Sea Eagles on the 4th of March, with Kyle Flanagan the favourite to partner Matt Burton in the halves.
I told you so, babies. I told you so. Boom!

iDoggiesFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not sure why anyone cares about a transfer fee. It’s not included in the cap and it probably came from a single Canterbury leagues pokie machine…