Bulldogs Boss Denies Stewarts Pursuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paint.

CANTERBURY chief executive Todd Greenberg has rejected suggestions that the Bulldogs have begun making a play for Manly’s Stewart brothers Glenn and Brett.

Since securing Des Hasler as head coach for this season, speculation has been rife through the rugby league world, linking the former Sea Eagles coach and his two stars with a reunion in Belmore.

Clive Churchill medallist, 28-year-old Glenn is under contract with the Sea Eagles until the end of 2014 while Brett, 26, has a get-out clause in his contract as a result of the coach’s departure.

Speaking from Circular Quay where the Bulldogs took to the streets in a membership drive and promotion of their Belmore trial with the Sydney Roosters on Saturday February 12, Greenberg said the speculation was completely unfounded.

“As you know we very rarely talk about our recruitment and retention,” Greenberg told sportsnewsfirst.com.au.

“We won’t do it publicly and any discussions we have are behind closed doors but we haven’t even looked at the 2013 roster.

"We’ve focused very much on our 2012 roster and I know Des and the other coaching staff are very much worried about what’s in front of us and not next year.”

Greenberg believes the speculation surrounding the brothers will likely continue as a result of Hasler’s long standing relationship with the pair.

“Rugby league has this great fascination with innuendo and speculation about players,” Greenberg said.

“Where they are coming, where they are going so as soon as you attract a coach from another club that innuendo and speculation will be constant but it certainly isn’t coming from us.”

The Manly club issued a statement in regards to the talk of both brothers wanting out of the club Thursday via their Twitter account on Thursday.

“Contrary to speculation on @triplemsport we are progressing with Brett Stewart and Glenn is contracted till the end of 2014,” the Sea Eagles' official Twitter stated.

Bulldogs captain Michael Ennis echoed the words of chief Greenberg with rumours an inevitable part of rugby league.

“I think there will always be speculation when a coach changes clubs,” Ennis said.

“There’s always talks about different relationships individuals have with their coaches but it would be out of line to start worrying about 2013 before the ball's kicked in 2012.”

Brett, a former Test fullback for Australia, will command top dollar however the Bulldogs have already sewn up Indigenous custodian Ben Barba long term.

The club does however have a list of players off contract next season including play maker Kris Keating, Dene Halatau, David Stagg, Bryson Goodwin and Steve Turner.

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2012/02/09/bulldogs-boss-denies-stewarts-pursuit/

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope Barba himself quashes all the rumours by playing out of his skin this year

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
would not like to see the brothers at the bulldogs.. Id actually be really disappointed.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
would not like to see the brothers at the bulldogs.. Id actually be really disappointed.
I agree. The stuart brothers would certainly be a violation of our "no dic*heads" policy.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
The only one we haven't been linked to who is off contract, is Cronk.

Hmmm I wonder . . .

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Love it how TG always clarifys all rumors, which makes me think about the rumors that he hasn't clarified yet. SBW inparticular.

Karat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love it how TG always clarifys all rumors, which makes me think about the rumors that he hasn't clarified yet. SBW inparticular.
the more I think about it, the more it seems less likely that SBW will be back.....I hope I am wrong, but I think he has already signed with the Roosters for 2013

The.X.Factor

Forum Maniac
Reaction score
good. do not want.
lol This.

Lets get real here,

Brett= Good player but very injury prone. If it wasn't his knee's that were injured then I would love to have him on board but knee injuries occur too much in RL for us to even take a chance on him.

Glenn= we have 1848573947394738 back rowers and I would rather our juniors get a go then a 28 year old that in my opinion will be on his last legs soon.

JMO.

The Faz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Second rowers and fullbacks are superfluous. We're covered in those departments in spades. We desperately need a half and an outside back. But If I had to choose only one - PLEASE LET US GET FORAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LSD

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The headline says "Bulldogs Boss Denies Stewarts Pursuit" but does he actually deny it anywhere in the story? Did i miss something in the story or is this just the usual uneducated journalism.

Status
Not open for further replies.