News Bulldogs bite back at Bennett

stinkypinky

Kennel Established
Reaction score
anterbury coach Dean Pay has bitten back at Wayne Bennett and the NRL, questioning why his side are being singled-out for go-slow tactics. The Bulldogs have come under the spotlight for allegedly slowing down the play-the-ball during their 14-6 loss to Bennett's South Sydney on Good Friday.

NRL head of football Graham Annesley said the speed of the ruck during the match was unacceptable, highlighting that 38 per cent of play-the-balls in which the Bulldogs were the defensive team took longer than four seconds - the greatest percentage of any team in any game this year.

Pay said he had not heard from Annesley or referees boss Bernie Sutton.

"Our game has been picked out for some reason," Pay said.

"Souths had that much ball we defended all day. I thought we did a tremendous job to hold them to 14 points. Our defensive processes don't change from week to week.

"Do we want to win the ruck? Of course, like every other team does. Does it give you time to get your line set and come off the line? Yes it does.

"I saw a couple of stats before the average play-the-ball was slower (in some games) than our game last week. I don't know why they picked our game."

Pay said his side would continue to push the envelope, despite Annesley's promise they risked being penalised.

"We play the game as hard as we can," Pay said.

"We win the ruck as much as we can. That's based on what the referees give us. We're not going to get off them just because Graham said. We want to win.

"We'll just play by the rules every week."

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
Pay said it very well! I would have just added the milking a penalty in 3 stages issues: -

1. Arm locking and frenzy crowding the defender on the ground, preventing him from getting up to mark.
2. Leg tangling the defender on his way up, preventing him from getting into position to mark.
3. Crowding forward the defender when trying to step back to mark, moving 2 metres forward off the mark before playing the ball, to try to make the marker offside.

Video evidence galore to show this process and the bullshit the Dogs were putting up with from Souths.

Last edited:

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Tell the souffs scum to play it on the mark for once and quit milking pens every second play the ball.
Burgess is the biggest pig at it and he learnt from the best cheat Greg Inglis of not playing the ball on the mark

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
anterbury coach Dean Pay has bitten back at Wayne Bennett and the NRL, questioning why his side are being singled-out for go-slow tactics. The Bulldogs have come under the spotlight for allegedly slowing down the play-the-ball during their 14-6 loss to Bennett's South Sydney on Good Friday.

NRL head of football Graham Annesley said the speed of the ruck during the match was unacceptable, highlighting that 38 per cent of play-the-balls in which the Bulldogs were the defensive team took longer than four seconds - the greatest percentage of any team in any game this year.

Pay said he had not heard from Annesley or referees boss Bernie Sutton.

"Our game has been picked out for some reason," Pay said.

"Souths had that much ball we defended all day. I thought we did a tremendous job to hold them to 14 points. Our defensive processes don't change from week to week.

"Do we want to win the ruck? Of course, like every other team does. Does it give you time to get your line set and come off the line? Yes it does.

"I saw a couple of stats before the average play-the-ball was slower (in some games) than our game last week. I don't know why they picked our game."

Pay said his side would continue to push the envelope, despite Annesley's promise they risked being penalised.

"We play the game as hard as we can," Pay said.

"We win the ruck as much as we can. That's based on what the referees give us. We're not going to get off them just because Graham said. We want to win.

"We'll just play by the rules every week."
Mmmm...I like that!!! Get into em Pay!

It's about time leaders of of our club (both on and off the field) start speaking up. Let them all know we are not just gonna sit down and take it.

The old administration let us get trampled on time and time again, the media and the NRL saw that and made us their whipping boys (knowing we had no teeth).

Hoping this is the low blow that allows Pay to see there is no use keeping quiet when it comes to being ripped off both on and of the field by the NRL.

Just speak your mind and cop some fines, or better still get training in argumentation and legal reasoning and avoid the fines whilst still getting your point across.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
a coach complaining about the ruck and play of the ball speed?.. Ground hog day

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Players thrashing around in tackles thinking that tacklers just get off them .
In the Burgess boys case standing up and playing it off the mark or not facing post to post give them an advantage .
Refs yelling held than George getting an extra push forward . Gives them an advantage . Quick play the balls , markers not set.
This shit happens every week from teams.
Even when refs call held the defense than throw the players to the ground couple of seconds later. Held should be release.

Last edited:

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I am liking how Pay is sticking up for our team
I wish he had gone further and pin pointed storm grubby tactics and Souths always walking of the mark.

Mr Shhh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
An excuse for this weeks ref to penalise the fuck out of us.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I cant believe how Bennett has fooled the press into thinking his team was hard done by. They had all the ball as pay correctly said. Just another thing now for the refs to focus more on us. Its crap

Tazer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The bottom line is that in last weeks game the refs were just fucking hopeless. They didn't police the ruck and they didn't make players play the ball on the mark......the result was a total cluster fuck and one of the most boring games of the year so far. Perinara has always been shit....he seems to be simultaneously scared of blowing too many and not enough penalties all at the same time and ends up doing nothing at all. Should have been dropped to Canterbury cup imo.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Our season is pretty much over but so is Souths now. If you cant handle wrestling in the ruck you won't go far in this comp.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Our season is pretty much over but so is Souths now. If you cant handle wrestling in the ruck you won't go far in this comp.
I always thought we would beat a few this year we already have with tigers. Gave a few a scare in storm and souths and i reckon we will have more wins but never thought anymore than that. I still think we will sneak in the 8 but our relationship with refs is not good. Your right with souths complaining about the wrestling dosent look good for them this year

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Whilst we were a bit messy in the ruck, the souffs ***** were fkn milking it as well. So two factors made it look worse. That one with burgess and Lachlan Lewis that kind of kicked it off wasn’t even that bad, but Burgess grabbed onto him which made it look bad overall

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Whilst we were a bit messy in the ruck, the souffs ***** were fkn milking it as well. So two factors made it look worse. That one with burgess and Lachlan Lewis that kind of kicked it off wasn’t even that bad, but Burgess grabbed onto him which made it look bad overall
Yeah true, this is Bennetts way off getting the refs to give them a go next game be interesting to watch that and see how many penalties they get

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I always thought we would beat a few this year we already have with tigers. Gave a few a scare in storm and souths and i reckon we will have more wins but never thought anymore than that. I still think we will sneak in the 8 but our relationship with refs is not good. Your right with souths complaining about the wrestling dosent look good for them this year
Wish I could agree but I don't see us getting close to the 8 it was always going to be tough and then you add the injuries to Foran and Napa and we will be lucky to avoid the spoon.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Wish I could agree but I don't see us getting close to the 8 it was always going to be tough and then you add the injuries to Foran and Napa and we will be lucky to avoid the spoon.
Yeah i guess i am just being a little too loyal cant help it but im hoping.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bennett playing mind games he’s been a master at it for decades this weeks debate will blow over in a week or two it will be some other bullshit by then

spscand

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...k/news-story/0865c955e4c9628f6f19eef42fc7ba85

Bennett is clearly shitting it since we exposed Cooks weakness and how to make his team ineffective. We are basically showing how to beat the big teams without beating them.

Credit to Pay and the coaching staff for actually having game plans that seem to work at times. Hopefully keep improving.

Bennett is trying his best to play mind games as others mentioned. He will win as usual and Cook will be free to roam. But I'm happy it showed how 1 dimensional cook can be. Helps get over pain of losing him haha

Last edited: