Bulldogs are the family club again

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadiwrx

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Grandson of Bulldogs godfather Peter Moore named Holden Cup coach

THE Bulldogs are officially the “family club’’ once more with Peter Moore’s grandson returning to resume the 53-year legacy that was broken in 2011 when Kevin Moore was sacked as coach of the famous club.

The spirit of “Bullfrog’’ — the undisputed Godfather of the club — returned to Canterbury this year when Ben Anderson was appointed to coach the Bulldogs Holden Cup team in a move that has brought rugby league’s most famous family back to Belmore.

Anderson is the son of Bulldogs legend Chris Anderson — the premiership-winning Canterbury coach who married one of Moore’s six daughters. The former Melbourne No.6 is dreaming of following in both his famous families’ footsteps by one day leading the club his grandfather built and his father helped make famous to an NRL premiership.

“One of my greatest regrets is that I never got to play here,’’ said Anderson, who played 17 NRL games for the Storm.

“So to be back here now trying to work towards my dream is really quite special. I am really enjoying it and learning a lot from some very good people. Guys like Kelly Egan, Andy Patmore and Gary Carden are all guys I have had a lot to do with in the past and they are all here now.”

Anderson, 38, has not been given the silver spoon. He moved more than 1700km away from home to begin his coaching career in a bid to escape his famous families’ shadow.

Moore began the family empire in 1969 when he quit his job as a newsagent to join the club.

“I wanted to do it that hard way, to be honest,’’ Anderson said. “I needed to do this on my own merits and that is what I have done. I moved up to Moranbah in north central Queensland to coach a team called the Miners. It was a big move but the right one. I not only met my wife there but also learned the building blocks of coaching and man management.’’

Anderson moved to the remote Queensland mining town on his father’s advice before winning a premiership in the Queensland Cup.

“He was coaching junior reps at the time,’’ said former Kangaroos coach and player Chris.

“And I told him he wouldn’t learn anything until he went and coached men. He has done a tough apprenticeship and I am proud of what he has done and what he is doing.

“I think he is a very talented young bloke and he has everything it takes to be successful.’’

Ben is hoping to become the fourth from the Moore line to coach the Bulldogs, with uncles Steve Folkes and Kevin Moore also holding down the top job at Belmore. “I would love to coach in the NRL,’’ he said.

“I have a long way to go but that is my goal. I would die a happy man if I had half of the success of my father.’’

It was only in last weekend’s The Sunday Telegraph that Canterbury legend Terry Lamb questioned coach Des Hasler’s understanding of the Bulldogs’ club culture.

Lamb urged players to win an competition and coach Hasler to help generate the “atmosphere within the club again”. With the Anderson appointment the club has reinvested in a “family club” tradition.

The Bulldogs are 13th on the Holden Cup ladder and the first-grade team is in sixth spot.

Source

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Not fussed on his surname. I just hope he has the goods... Our lower grades look like they need it.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Not fussed on his surname. I just hope he has the goods... Our lower grades look like they need it.
You either have it or you don't when it comes to coaching and bloodlines don't really count for much. It is down to the ability of the person concerned to be a good communicator and a smart thinker. He is a likeable person and when I spoke to him earlier this year he was eager and enthusiastic about the job ahead of him. He needs time to settle, a bush coaching job does not equate to success in the NRL but I hope he is successful . Goodness knows we have had too many years in the wilderness when it comes to success in the lower grades. He seems to be willing to do the hard yards, let's hope his charges follow suit.

Last edited by a moderator:

NallaC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The guy bleeds blue and white. Wish him every success. Fingers crossed he has his grandfather's touch, and his fathers influence. Give him time im sure he will be successful.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
No Ben Anderson is the U20's and Patmore the Intrust coach....
So far they haven't been doing that well... but with Lachlan Lewis joining us, things are looking better.

Also Luis Strickland is playing really well this year, but I reckon they are missing some of the older hats like Reimis Smith and Reubenn Rennie.

top-dog

bulldog 4 life
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Was the family club

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I wish we go back to a successful club...

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So far they haven't been doing that well... but with Lachlan Lewis joining us, things are looking better.

Also Luis Strickland is playing really well this year, but I reckon they are missing some of the older hats like Reimis Smith and Reubenn Rennie.
Those last two are playing up in Intrust. Reimis is only 19 so is still eligible and Rueben is 21 in October ( he is now ineligible) Luis Strickland has scored a few meat pies this year. Has nice footwork and is hard to stop from around 10 metres out when he gets a run up.
Lachlan Lewis gives a bit of direction in the halves and works well with Adam Keighran. I like Joey Tramontana as well. Not much of him but a goer.

The boys as they have for a few years now, tend to fade in and out of games, but I actually got excited when they strung together two good wins over sides further up the table just recently.

KelpiesHuskies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
the guy has our holden cup team running 13th so on the merits should not proceed through the ranks.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We also have to remember is we seem to move good under 20s players to intrust cup quicker than alot of clubs which weaken both grades but is much better for future development ,some clubs keep gun players in u/20s far too long

Doga

Father Figure
Reaction score
As long as there is no plod ball

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is Kevin Moore still at the club?
More Moore's the better at Belmore.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
the guy has our holden cup team running 13th so on the merits should not proceed through the ranks.
It will take time. The club which seemingly has the best set up in juniors are the Panthers. Their U20's have swept all before them and have for the most part have been able to stay together. In saying that though the folly of the U20 competition has been well and truly exposed as a massive fail so much so that the Nrl has decided to do away with it and restructure.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
I think des needs to wake up and learnt the history of the dogs,
At the moment I fell there is no connection with there heritage .
The dogs of war will never die.

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I think everyone needs to throw on a heritage jersey, or one of the old ones from way back when and go to the games to make a point...

These new jerseys just represent a business, not a club, not the bulldogs.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like he started at the beginning of the year, but Castle decided to get someone to do this article now. As a look we may not have the Bullfrog anymore, but we have his Grandson, as a way to respond to Lambs interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.