Official Bulldogs announce ONE NRL trial for 2019 vs Raiders.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2018/12/20/bulldogs-to-play-raiders-in-bega-trial-match/

The Canterbury- Bankstown Bulldogs will face the Canberra Raiders in their only NRL trial match ahead of the 2019 season.

Raiders v Bulldogs – Trial Match

Saturday February 23, 2019, Bega Recreation Ground
NRL TRIAL: 5.00pm
LAURIE DALEY CUP: 2.50pm
ANDREW JOHNS CUP: 1.25pm
Tickets: $15

Can anyone explain why we are only playing one NRL trial when most teams will try to play 2 or 3??

Haven't we learned from last year about entering the season unprepared?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Don't get me started again. Please delete thread.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm of the mind trials don't really matter much. If every team took them seriously and played their actual 1st grade roster it might, but they don't.

Raysie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Last season showed how important trials are. Dean Pay fucked around with combinations not having a single clue in the end what to do.

His 10th choice half who he had running in the centres initially in Reserve Grade, is who made him look good in the end. Says alot.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His 10th choice half who he had running in the centres initially in Reserve Grade, is who made him look good in the end. Says alot.
Didn't we play a basically ISP team in our second trial against the Panthers with Lewis and JMK in the halves? I didn't see the game but I thought that was the case from memory. Also, Pay doesn't chose where the ISP coach plays someone, that's his call.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dean Pay doesnt want to give the opposition an insight into our new moves and secret weapon.. he wants it to be a suprise come Rd 1

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Dean Pay doesnt want to give the opposition an insight into our new moves and secret weapon.. he wants it to be a suprise come Rd 1
And the suprise will be over round 2. So big deal. The teams that succeed are the teams that beat opponents who are prepared for them.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Playing against ISP players is what training is for

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don’t get it.
Win a trial match and there’s 1000 messages on here saying “trials don’t mean shit”
But if you don’t play a trial “trials are everything”.
Simple fact is, while they’re playing 1 official trial, they’re not going to be under prepared, they’ll probably play 10 trials against division 1 teams and ISP teams.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'm of the mind trials don't really matter much. If every team took them seriously and played their actual 1st grade roster it might, but they don't.
They absolutely matter. For example Bellamy organised extra trials last this season. Meanwhile our first graders played 40 minutes at most...

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
My nephew plays for dogs under 20s and they had 2 games against first grade on the weekend with proper refs
He said Nappa and Elliott were smashing anything that moved
All clubs do this..

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We should play another trial but it's not that big of a problem. We underperformed at the start of last year but that was more of a Des hangover than lack of trials imo.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My nephew plays for dogs under 20s and they had 2 games against first grade on the weekend with proper refs
He said Nappa and Elliott were smashing anything that moved
Smashing anything that moved, sounds like Indian dog at a Xmas party