Official Bulldogs and Ciraldo agree to terms

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No, Ciraldo was considered by the Penrith Board to not be able to take the team forward due to his lack of experience. Sure Gould wanted him, as he was controllable, while Hook wasn't. As soon as Hook was sacked, Gould was lobbying for Ciraldo. The Penrith Board said ahhhh thanks but no thanks and started their search for another experienced coach to take them to the next level.
N Cleary was already locked into a deal. The obvious choices were Bennett and I Cleary. The Board went for Cleary after Nathan's stunning SOO form. They knew he was the man to build the team around, so despite Gould having sacked I Cleary for Hook a couple of years earlier, the Board decided to go forward with the Clearies together.
Gould has been trying to get Ciraldo a Head coaching gig ever since.
There was NEVER any need for anyone else to apply for the Dogs head coach position. Gould identified Ciraldo from day 1.
When we underwhelm under Ciraldo over the next 2 seasons, Gould and him can go find their heaven somewhere else.
Pretty sure Gus had Wayne lined up

Donkey Slayer

Banned
Reaction score
I know this guy Cameron, I meet him through a friend of ours few years back when he was playin for Italy. Good fuckin kid, can trace his family all the way back to fuckin Sicily. I got high hopes for the guy. Don’t fuckin let me down Cameron
Nice to know cuz my family is also from Sicily

Lets trot

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thanksgiving is very big in Sicily.....on the account of all the Sicilians that were kicked out of America :grinning: Steve Martin wouldn't lie :tongueclosed:

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The only teams I dislike are Souths and Storm. I hope Ciraldo is a success, I just question the length of his contract and the fact he’s a rookie coach. You can’t compare him to Trent Robinson who in 2013 had a rock star lineup. Craig Fitzgibbon roster this year was strong plus they had the luxury of the easiest draw of any side. The Bulldogs need to pick up another couple of marquee players to be a chance of playing finals. Kikau Sutton and Mahoney will help but it won’t be enough to make the 8.
Finally to you Bulldogs 09 I see you are still stalking me, still reading every post I put up.I wont engage you, youre a bore. Just grow up champ.
I agree that based on the current squad I think it would be foolish to expect a top 8 finish next season. Any fan has hope, but expectation at this stage is unreasonable. If a top line prop is signed and a more experienced half, that might change things.

I still don't get why people are against 5 years though. The intent is clear, the club is doing everything it can to finally turn things around, and this has to involve clear intent.

Besides, how else does Gus say "5 year plan" without actually saying "5 year plan"?

Five year plan baby!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree that based on the current squad I think it would be foolish to expect a top 8 finish next season. Any fan has hope, but expectation at this stage is unreasonable. If a top line prop is signed and a more experienced half, that might change things.
I'm OK with expecting to play finals next year with the current line up plus those already signed. Added to that we have 5 spots free and most likely ~$2m in Cap space free.

I still don't get why people are against 5 years though. The intent is clear, the club is doing everything it can to finally turn things around, and this has to involve clear intent.

Besides, how else does Gus say "5 year plan" without actually saying "5 year plan"?

Five year plan baby!
The big change I expect to see within the next 5 years is up to half of our Top 30 being players that we have developed. That's what Gould is really working towards.

Always a Bulldog

Number18

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm OK with expecting to play finals next year with the current line up plus those already signed. Added to that we have 5 spots free and most likely ~$2m in Cap space free.

The big change I expect to see within the next 5 years is up to half of our Top 30 being players that we have developed. That's what Gould is really working towards.

Always a Bulldog
I agree. Stop buying rejects, discards and the like.
Start targeting up and coming coaching staff / sports science smarts, and develop our own.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cameron Ciraldo Canterbury coach: Matty Johns on Bulldogs’ new NRL direction
Cameron Ciraldo has all the traits to turn Canterbury into a powerhouse again, writes Matty Johns. But, whether he succeeds might rest on one crucial moment in his debut season at the helm.

Matty Johns

4 min read
August 18, 2022 - 3:48PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s.../22f321c4ac14b2f2112e74d6fc6a738e#share-tools

Everything suggests Cameron Ciraldo will be a success at the Canterbury Bulldogs.
Firstly he has strong tactical knowledge, and has worked as an attack and defence coach, so has an intimate knowledge of both sides of the game. And crucially he understands how one impacts the other.
An assistant who’s only coached attack often gives little thought to how his tactics impact the defence.
They see no fault in the team’s struggle because their attack is delivering 24 points a game, while the defence is leaking 30.
They fail to acknowledge that all the mistakes in their attack is the cause of the defensive shortcomings.

Secondly, and I write this respectfully, Cameron wasn’t a world beating footballer, he was a good solid professional. In many instances brilliant players with natural gifts don’t make good coaches, you see 90 per cent of the playing population aren’t stars, they are hard working professionals, grinders. The naturally gifted former player cum coach struggles to understand what the average player needs.

They struggle to communicate what they see and what they want. “This is what’s required, now just go and do it.”
Players don’t need information overload, but they do need detail.

And Cameron has something which all successful coaches have loads of and failed coaches have none of, empathy for their players. One of the primary desires a team must have is the want to win for their coach, and that stems from the coach having empathy.

Napoleon Bonaparte.

Napoleon Bonaparte.
The great Corsican conqueror, Napoleon Bonaparte was loved by his soldiers, it was a crucial factor in his success.
If you love your leader you fight harder. Caring for the men under your leadership is where I should probably leave the comparisons between Ciraldo and Bonaparte, with Napoleon being just a fraction over five feet and Ciraldo pushing 6’4. Ciraldo modest and assuming, Bonaparte one of history’s greatest megalomaniacs.
If ever Cameron Ciraldo starts commissioning artists to paint portraits of him in the coach’s box mid-match, you’ll know it’s the beginning of the end.
So yes, everything points to the Dogs having success under Cameron Ciraldo, but there are no guarantees until he’s passed that vital test which all coaches eventually face, whether it be sooner or later.
Cameron Ciraldo. Picture: NRL Photos

That inevitable period where he’s placed in the furnace. It’s when the Dogs are in the midst of a losing run, the first time Cameron will be receiving negative press, the fans will start
questioning if he really is the coach they were promised, and ‘unnamed sources’ start leaking that he might have lost sections of the dressing room. Very few have been spared this.
It’s not a matter of will Cameron feel the pressure, it’s how he operates in amongst it, and if he can come through it. Some don’t.
The X’s and O’s won’t be the thing that gets Ciraldo through, it’s the people around him.
I wrote recently that the first person rookie coaches must appoint to their coaching team is an older mentor who’s been through it all before. In this instance Ciraldo will be served well.
Phil Gould’s presence has proven problematic for coaches, but he’s invested heavily in Ciraldo, and his legacy at the Dogs is tied to Cameron’s success.

Canterbury Bulldogs NRL General Manager of Football Phil Gould. (Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)

If Ciraldo taps into Gould’s knowledge their good relationship will maintain.
The experienced Mick Potter has to stay on the staff, he’s done a brilliant job as interim coach and will help Cameron fast track in knowing the strengths and weaknesses of the players.
Former head coach of Manly, Peter Sharp, sits in recruitment at the Bulldogs, Ciraldo should pull him closer to the team. Peter’s had a lifetime in the game and I’ve rarely seen someone build better relationships with players. He’ll be invaluable.
And finally, former NRL player Billy Millard. Billy sits in the Dog’s junior pathways system.
Billy is capable of being a head coach himself and like Sharp, his strength is player relationships. Millard is highly regarded by all in Rugby League.
Everything’s in place. I’m tempted to say, ‘What could possibly go wrong.’

Cameron Ciraldo Canterbury coach: Matty Johns on Bulldogs’ new NRL direction | Daily Telegraph

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The hype is insane holy fuck, makes me excited but i’m also pacing myself up for possible disappointment.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Cameron Ciraldo has all the traits to turn Canterbury into a powerhouse again, writes Matty Johns. But, whether he succeeds might rest on one crucial moment in his debut season at the helm.

Matty Johns

4 min read
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s.../22f321c4ac14b2f2112e74d6fc6a738e#share-tools

Everything suggests Cameron Ciraldo will be a success at the Canterbury Bulldogs.
Firstly he has strong tactical knowledge, and has worked as an attack and defence coach, so has an intimate knowledge of both sides of the game. And crucially he understands how one impacts the other.
An assistant who’s only coached attack often gives little thought to how his tactics impact the defence.
They see no fault in the team’s struggle because their attack is delivering 24 points a game, while the defence is leaking 30.
They fail to acknowledge that all the mistakes in their attack is the cause of the defensive shortcomings.

Secondly, and I write this respectfully, Cameron wasn’t a world beating footballer, he was a good solid professional. In many instances brilliant players with natural gifts don’t make good coaches, you see 90 per cent of the playing population aren’t stars, they are hard working professionals, grinders. The naturally gifted former player cum coach struggles to understand what the average player needs.

They struggle to communicate what they see and what they want. “This is what’s required, now just go and do it.”

And Cameron has something which all successful coaches have loads of and failed coaches have none of, empathy for their players. One of the primary desires a team must have is the want to win for their coach, and that stems from the coach having empathy.

Napoleon Bonaparte.

Napoleon Bonaparte.
The great Corsican conqueror, Napoleon Bonaparte was loved by his soldiers, it was a crucial factor in his success.
If you love your leader you fight harder. Caring for the men under your leadership is where I should probably leave the comparisons between Ciraldo and Bonaparte, with Napoleon being just a fraction over five feet and Ciraldo pushing 6’4. Ciraldo modest and assuming, Bonaparte one of history’s greatest megalomaniacs.
If ever Cameron Ciraldo starts commissioning artists to paint portraits of him in the coach’s box mid-match, you’ll know it’s the beginning of the end.
So yes, everything points to the Dogs having success under Cameron Ciraldo, but there are no guarantees until he’s passed that vital test which all coaches eventually face, whether it be sooner or later.

That inevitable period where he’s placed in the furnace. It’s when the Dogs are in the midst of a losing run, the first time Cameron will be receiving negative press, the fans will start
questioning if he really is the coach they were promised, and ‘unnamed sources’ start leaking that he might have lost sections of the dressing room. Very few have been spared this.
It’s not a matter of will Cameron feel the pressure, it’s how he operates in amongst it, and if he can come through it. Some don’t.
The X’s and O’s won’t be the thing that gets Ciraldo through, it’s the people around him.
I wrote recently that the first person rookie coaches must appoint to their coaching team is an older mentor who’s been through it all before. In this instance Ciraldo will be served well.
Phil Gould’s presence has proven problematic for coaches, but he’s invested heavily in Ciraldo, and his legacy at the Dogs is tied to Cameron’s success.

Canterbury Bulldogs NRL General Manager of Football Phil Gould. (Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)

The experienced Mick Potter has to stay on the staff, he’s done a brilliant job as interim coach and will help Cameron fast track in knowing the strengths and weaknesses of the players.
Former head coach of Manly, Peter Sharp, sits in recruitment at the Bulldogs, Ciraldo should pull him closer to the team. Peter’s had a lifetime in the game and I’ve rarely seen someone build better relationships with players. He’ll be invaluable.
And finally, former NRL player Billy Millard. Billy sits in the Dog’s junior pathways system.
Billy is capable of being a head coach himself and like Sharp, his strength is player relationships. Millard is highly regarded by all in Rugby League.

Cameron Ciraldo Canterbury coach: Matty Johns on Bulldogs’ new NRL direction | Daily Telegraph
I didn't read, why is there a painting of Napoleon in the article? Lol

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Anything both Joey & Matty say means absolutely sweet FA!

I can’t stand either of them

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Matty Johns

4 min read

Napoleon Bonaparte.

Napoleon Bonaparte.

Former player cum coach struggles to understand.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Anything both Joey & Matty say means absolutely sweet FA!

I can’t stand either of them
I like Matty, Joey is a smug entitled dickhead tho.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Man united signed Erik ten hag and fans want him gone after 2 games