Bulldogs AGM 2023

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Thought I’d make this it’s own thread - I’ve enjoyed reading this from others in previous years. Please feel free to add anything I’ve missed if you were there:

Highlights:

- general vibe was very positive, a lot of the stuff we’ve heard over the off season was reiterated. Club is extremely united on all fronts players/staff/execs. Warburton said that on Friday at 6pm the office was still bustling with staff - in previous years people just came and went as they pleased

- Centre of Excellence funding approved for ~$40mil. Will be a 3-level complex out the back of BSG with multiple training fields. One level dedicated to pathways, one to NRL. Direct tunnel from the building to the main BSG field

- we will be releasing a weekly episode of some sort during the year + a live game day broadcast for each of our games- not many details given here. Digital communications a real focus from now

- Gus got up and spoke, trashed the DT twice. Said we have 650k to spend this year and are $2-3 million under the cap next year. Said the off season program this year was “world class”. Praised the board and execs for making everything smooth

- they will try to make ANZ our ‘tribal home’ somehow this year, to me sounded like they weren’t extremely pleased with our stadia situation atm and was sort of an acknowledgement that fans aren’t either (just my take though)

- jackson and Tolman were there to accept life memberships

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The stadium issue is an important one to fix I just think we are out of ideas.
Our only hope is for the government to reconfigure Homebush into a rectangular stadium like they were originally going to do.

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
- Gus got up and spoke, trashed the DT twice. Said we have 650k to spend this year and are $2-3 million under the cap next year. Said the off season program this year was “world class”. Praised the board and execs for making everything smooth
:smirk:

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jacko was quite emotional receiving his life membership and you could tell it also meant a lot to Tolman as well.

After listening to all the fantastic initiatives we now have in place I can’t help reflecting on just how much Hasler’s time at our club destabilised us.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The whole ANZ situation leaves me unbelievably bitter.

I used to attend easily 20+ games a season -mostly ANZ. And despite the kennels best efforts to make it boisterous, it just didn’t ever fill the void. I remember being genuinely more happy for away games because all Dogs fans could congregate together and make a lot of noise.

Truthfully - was a little bummed we didn’t get any games at Commbank stadium. What a place to watch footy!

I hope your observations of them being uneasy is true so something can happen. It’s a shit stadium unless you’re getting 30k +

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Totally agree JayBee - bitter and frustrated.

Every time I attend a match (or even watch it on TV) when it is at one of the many new and improved grounds it really pisses me off - i dream that in my lifetime we have our own purpose built cauldron with a 30k capacity fully filled by our season ticket holders and with acoustics that magnify the crowd noise.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

I used to attend easily 20+ games a season -mostly ANZ. And despite the kennels best efforts to make it boisterous, it just didn’t ever fill the void. I remember being genuinely more happy for away games because all Dogs fans could congregate together and make a lot of noise.

Truthfully - was a little bummed we didn’t get any games at Commbank stadium. What a place to watch footy!

I hope your observations of them being uneasy is true so something can happen. It’s a shit stadium unless you’re getting 30k +
as much as I was so against playing at com bank because of its location it’s a damn great place to watch a game of footy.

belmore
Is never going to happen especially now the government are
Funding 40 million towards centre of excellence and Gus already said Liverpool ain’t happening.

they mentioned they wanted to turn Accor into a bulldogs feeling or something along those lines I just don’t see how that is possible.

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Our only hope is for the government to reconfigure Homebush into a rectangular stadium like they were originally going to do.
We will fill the c@nt out once we get on a groove and start winning again. That will help ;)

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Who gives a fuck about the parking situation at belmore. I can guarantee we would get a bigger crowd holding games at belmore. Especially the games against parra etc. Give us our home back

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks @ElMagicElMasri got in before me but good summary of the AGM.

Great news re: the new CoE to be built with the first soil to be turned in the next 12 months.

Gus calling them ‘The Daily Astonisher’ :-).

Agree good vibes all around - club in a good place. Nice to chat to different generations from Peter Mortimer and Langers to Jacko and Tols.

Heading down to Belmore now for our game.
Go Doggies 2023!

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Totally agree JayBee - bitter and frustrated.

Every time I attend a match (or even watch it on TV) when it is at one of the many new and improved grounds it really pisses me off - i dream that in my lifetime we have our own purpose built cauldron with a 30k capacity fully filled by our season ticket holders and with acoustics that magnify the crowd noise.
The problem is this is the NRLs fault.

30 years ago it was all suburban stadiums with finals at a 44k seat stadium in the SFS.

Then they went ahead and went all in on the 80k stadium - when we were barely filling and selling out 20-24k suburban ones. They did not create a demand heavy environment - it was completely supply based. 5 Sydney teams have at one point called it home.

We are finally getting it with Bankwest etc - 30-35k seems to be the magic number to create both a great atmosphere + not lose on closeness to the ground (remember -ANZ was also used as an AFL stadium).

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I’ve been to tons of games at Homebush, and I don’t really hate it. I usually enjoyed my days there. Obviously under 20k people makes it less enjoyable, but I still didn’t mind. I didn’t live near it, but it was pretty easy to access. Straight M4 or Silverwater Rd. For all the CB area fans, it’s easy to access by train too.

My main issue with Homebush was the game day concessions, but this is generally an Australian problem. No matter the event, there isn’t usually a decent selection and variety of food and drink options. If they could improve that and add some festival atmosphere to game day it could be good.

iDoggiesFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Thought I’d make this it’s own thread - I’ve enjoyed reading this from others in previous years. Please feel free to add anything I’ve missed if you were there:

Highlights:

- general vibe was very positive, a lot of the stuff we’ve heard over the off season was reiterated. Club is extremely united on all fronts players/staff/execs. Warburton said that on Friday at 6pm the office was still bustling with staff - in previous years people just came and went as they pleased

- Centre of Excellence funding approved for ~$40mil. Will be a 3-level complex out the back of BSG with multiple training fields. One level dedicated to pathways, one to NRL. Direct tunnel from the building to the main BSG field

- we will be releasing a weekly episode of some sort during the year + a live game day broadcast for each of our games- not many details given here. Digital communications a real focus from now

- they will try to make ANZ our ‘tribal home’ somehow this year, to me sounded like they weren’t extremely pleased with our stadia situation atm and was sort of an acknowledgement that fans aren’t either (just my take though)

- jackson and Tolman were there to accept life memberships
Thanks for the update brother, much appreciated.

MoNkEy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NSW Labor went to the last election with a "NO STADIUMS" platform as one of their main policies.

Barring some kind of miracle, it looks like they will form Government in March.

I can't see any stadium infrastructure being high on their agenda.

Our only hope is that the incoming Premier happens to be a massive 'Doggies fan.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
The main issue with Homebush is that it's too big for club games but apart from that it's actually a decent stadium. It's comfortable, got a few pubs and restaurants, plenty of parking and public transport.

And yes Commbank is an awesome stadium but fuck using it as OUR Home ground on a fulltime basis, in enemy territory no less. I could never forgive the club if they went down that path. Last year was bad enough.

MirandaDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The new players were unable to be there but they did show video of them all. The biggest cheer was for Reynolds