News BULLDOGS’ “GUTSY” WIN “EASES THE PRESSURE” WITH RECRUIT TO RETURN FOR BRONCOS CLASH

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last year’s wooden spooners Canterbury have started off this season in winning fashion, earning a tight 6-4 win over North Queensland in Townsville on Sunday.

In slippery conditions, the Dogs were pushed to the limit as they held onto their lead in the second half, losing Chris Patolo, Braidon Bruns, Brent Naden and Jeremy Marshall-King to head injuries.

While it wasn’t the prettiest of performances, The Daily Telegraph’sDavid Riccio believes the “effort and desire” shown by Bulldogs players helps ease pressure on coach Trent Barrett as it shows he has the faith of the squad.

“It eases the pressure for one week, Trent Barrett would know that,” Riccio said on SEN 1170 Breakfast.

“He’s a head coach of an NRL team and the pressure is always there, but it takes away the headlines of negativity for seven days with the Bulldogs headed for a tough season.

“It was a gutsy win, look, when you want to critique whether a club or team is playing for its coach, I think the biggest indicator is team unity and that culture – the effort and desire, you couldn’t question that yesterday from the Canterbury players.

“To repel the Cowboys with no one left on the bench, I thought that was a really positive sign for the Bulldogs fans.

The Bulldogs could go 2-0 with a win over the Broncos next Saturday, and Riccio expects the side to get a big boost with star recruit Tevita Pangai Jr tipped to return from injury.

“They play the Broncos next Saturday night, and I suspect Tevita Pangai Jr will return,” Riccio said.

“He didn’t play last night due to a hamstring injury, so it’ll be on again next Saturday.

“Only another good performance will keep that pressure away.”

The Dogs host the Broncos in their Round 2 clash on Sunday night at Accor Stadium.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
These scribes don’t know their arse from their elbow.

‘They play the Broncos next Saturday night, and I suspect Tevita Pangai Jr will return,” Riccio said.

‘He didn’t play last night due to a hamstring injury, so it’ll be on again next Saturday.

The Dogs host the Broncos in their Round 2 clash on Sunday night at Accor Stadium.

So twice this dribbler says we play the Ponies on Saturday before rounding out the story by (correctly) saying the game is on Sunday. Who edits this crap?

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gutsy effort yes.
Our attack is crap. We have not developed.
Still can’t score points.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
These scribes don’t know their arse from their elbow.

‘They play the Broncos next Saturday night, and I suspect Tevita Pangai Jr will return,” Riccio said.

‘He didn’t play last night due to a hamstring injury, so it’ll be on again next Saturday.

So twice this dribbler says we play the Ponies on Saturday before rounding out the story by (correctly) saying the game is on Sunday. Who edits this crap?
They’re just fkn useless lol

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
See Buz that's how you write a article, based on fact and observation not the crap you shell out day in day out.
Except fact is we play Sunday not Saturday.

Owey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They’re just fkn useless lol
They most definitely are useless, it's just cut and paste with a quick run through spell checker, does no one proof read anymore? This is from WWOS........

"NRL great PHIL GOULD will appear on Nine's 100% FOOTY every Monday night of the NRL season, debating rugby league's hottest topics alongside Phil Gould and James Bracey. Tune in tonight at 10:30pm (AEDT) following a bumper Round One!"

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are we going to see this type of article every week. Either we won and the pressure is off for another week or we lost and will Barrett see the week out.
It’s going to get even more ridiculous when they ramp it up after the Broncos game when we have the tough draw. No one expects us to win those games but the media will use it as a reason to pump out the articles. Hopefully another club hits the skids so they can shift focus elsewhere.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Ok i might sound crazy but i truly believe we can get the win against souths. Looking from Friday night, the fact they struggled severely with a reynoldless broncos team is a major concern. Plus they have a hard draw before us. I just feel we could do it.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok i might sound crazy but i truly believe we can get the win against souths. Looking from Friday night, the fact they struggled severely with a reynoldless broncos team is a major concern. Plus they have a hard draw before us. I just feel we could do it.
i agree - souths were useless. we can surely get one over them, if we shut latrell down we'll be fine. also the broncos, apart from 1 intercept try that was the difference were ordinary against a bludger of a team in souths. reynolds kicking game will help but it'll be the first time he plays with whoever gets selected in the 5/8 role and as much as we need to gel, so do they. we should've beat NQ 18-4 and going off that (depending who the referee is) i'd say we can beat both. if we roll brisbane twice, theoretically we can end up 4/7 which is really pretty good and will have us in the 8 with an easier draw to come at the back end of the competition

Dog4life77

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I also watched it a second time and for some reason I decided to really focus on the commentary from Shane Flanagan..
He had a lot of positives throughout the game for our boys..singling out a few players for special mention regarding their talent..
I have never heard him speak so positively about our team..
Is there a chance he has been sounded out by Gus,and has done a bit of research on our lads?

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Who edits this crap?
[/QUOTE]
Most likely Drunkenfield :fearscream: :tearsofjoy:

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also watched it a second time and for some reason I decided to really focus on the commentary from Shane Flanagan..
He had a lot of positives throughout the game for our boys..singling out a few players for special mention regarding their talent..
I have never heard him speak so positively about our team..
Is there a chance he has been sounded out by Gus,and has done a bit of research on our lads?

Hahah same had to do a double take to make sure it was Flanno commentating