Bulldog halfback Brett Kimmorley backs himself to play on for three more years

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBearHunter

Guard Dog.
Reaction score
NRL ironman Brett Kimmorley has declared his willingness to defy retirement for another three seasons - when he'll be 36.

Describing last year's campaign as "easy", Kimmorley told The Daily Telegraph his body and mind were in the right shape to continue beyond his 16th season in the top grade.

"At the moment I feel good, I feel like I can keep going," Kimmorley, 33, said.

"Last year was easy. The success we had on the field and the way the club looked after everyone, made it a very enjoyable season.

"I also enjoyed the fact I knew my role, so I felt pretty fresh all year.

"At the moment I'm thinking that if I'm still this happy and excited then I'd love to play on."

Bulldogs CEO Todd Greenberg and coach Kevin Moore opened discussions about Kimmorley's future with an in-depth meeting with their halfback last month. And the incumbent NSW No. 7 said it was already understood that he won't move to a rival club should a contract extension not be forthcoming.

"If I'm not playing at the Bulldogs, I won't be playing at all," Kimmorley said.

"I'm looking forward to having just as good a year in 2010.

"Hopefully after the next 12 months I'm just as passionate that I'll be able to play football for another one, two or three years.

"I've talked to some players who've recently retired, my family and my manager.

"If I can stay at this level, then I'd be putting my hand up to go around again.

"One of the other main things I wanted to also make clear (to the Bulldogs) is that I'd like to stay involved beyond football. I want to become a coach in some capacity."

The Bulldogs have already responded to Kimmorley's post-football wish, and plan to help him complete his NRL Coaching Certificate II. In the meantime, the veteran has taken an even bigger role in mentoring the club's young halves. He works closely with Toyota Cup playmaker Rhys Jack and also supports the club's bid to sign Daniel Mortimer, who the Bulldogs view as a suitable successor to Kimmorley's No. 7 jersey.

"If we got Daniel, it would be a terrific long-term signing for the club," Kimmorley said.

"I know he's never played at the Bulldogs, but it would mean something for the family name to return.

"It would be wonderful if we could get him on board and I know Kevvy and Todd see him as a long-term No. 7."

This week's return to training has been Kimmorley's first opportunity to practise ballwork since he had surgery on his groin after last September's heart-breaking preliminary final loss to Parramatta.

DT.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
i hope we give him the opportunity to do it

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Noddy can do what he likes - Fine with me.

Mofo broke his face in half and came back to play for us when we needed him most.

Champion !!!

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
I hope management doesn't rush into re-signing him.

Much rather we see how he goes this season first before we do anything.

D

dogs_4 lyf

IF hes good enough to go on for 3 years then why not? All depends how he goes this year.

NuffSed

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He should only be offered 1 year contracts at a time.

JERRY LEE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the thing about him he is a clean skin and he looks after himself. he is not like the other players getting drunk and burning the candle at both ends.
i think he could go on, he played really well last year.

Toey .H.C.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
understandable. he's getting on in age at some stage he's gonna start getting slower and losing it.

I put the reason down to him being so fresh at 33 is because he had so many years at the sharks where he did nothing :P. but yeah hopefully he's still in good form at the end of the year and if he is i'm sure the dogs will offer him another 1 year contract. If not your careers gotta come to an end at some stage

matauce

Baller
Reaction score
this should be his last year. time to move on nxt yr.

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
seeing that he is starting to organise his life after football means he knows his career is pretty much up.

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He should only be offered 1 year contracts at a time.
x2.
See how he goes each year. If he still has it, sign him up. If not say hello to coaching Flegg

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
he wants to play for another 3 years but wants the dogs to sign Morts also as a long term replacement? If we sign Morts, i doubt we will resign Kimmorley, unless Morts plays 5/8 for a year or 2

top_dawg

Kennel Established
Reaction score
kimmorley is on the turps for sure, he hasnt got 3 years in him....seriously.

champion player and plenty tuff, but this should be his swansong year, hes slowed down considerably over the years, regardless if his brain is 2 steps ahead, no point if the body is 2 steps behind.

Thanks for a wonderfull 2009 and im sure a super 2010, but plz vacate the # 7 jersey from 2011.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Only thing is, at the moment we have no better options.

~stacie

Michael Ennis ♥
Reaction score
It all comes down to how he goes this year. If he has a good year, I don't see why we can't offer him another year or two. See how he goes in 2010.

top_dawg

Kennel Established
Reaction score
FFs, Kevin Moore needs to start making the tough calls, kimmorleys position in the fulltime squad is one of them.

He was hesitant in 09, didnt want to stir the pot, but if he wants to go forward and take the team in that direction, then changes must occur continously for the betterment of the team.

The Bulldogs are not a retirement village, its an opportunity to ply your trade till a better option is available to the club, this is a business, therefore planning must be parramount, its that forward thinking that will keep the club going in an upward direction.......

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
FFs, Kevin Moore needs to start making the tough calls, kimmorleys position in the fulltime squad is one of them.

He was hesitant in 09, didnt want to stir the pot, but if he wants to go forward and take the team in that direction, then changes must occur continously for the betterment of the team.

The Bulldogs are not a retirement village, its an opportunity to ply your trade till a better option is available to the club, this is a business, therefore planning must be parramount, its that forward thinking that will keep the club going in an upward direction.......
If Noddy produces the form of last season, I'm more than happy to give him another year. If we chase Mortimer though, I'd expect him to retire lol

bulldogs2010

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he produces the goods like he did last year, he can play till his 80.

Kimmorley is a smart and honest footballer. If he can't handle it, he will step down for the good of the club and himself.

The standout part in that article that no one has mentioned is how he has said If his not playing here, he wont be playing. What a champion :love:

Status
Not open for further replies.