News Brutal’ truth behind Bulldogs photo as full extent of Gus revolution laid bare

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With Monday’s release of disgruntled forward Raymond Faitala-Mariner, the Bulldogs do not have one player from their original top 30 squad from 2021 on this season’s roster.

Led by general manager of football Phil Gould, the Bulldogs have remarkably flipped their entire roster in the space of three years.

Gould was hired by the club in 2021, and clearly wasn’t scared to make some or a lot of tough decisions.

The Daily Telegraph’s Dean Ritchie, who wrote a column on the extreme and efficient overhaul, appeared on the Big Sports Breakfast radio show on Wednesday morning.

“In 2021, just three years ago, I went through the entire 30 man squad and there isn’t a single player left,” Ritchie told BSB hosts Gerald Middleton, Laurie Daley and Michael Clarke.

“The last player standing was Raymond Faitala-Mariner who left to go the Dragons.

Daley then asked Ritchie if an overhaul like this has happened so quickly before.

“I cannot recall an entire 30 man roster to be dismantled over just three years. It is extraordinary,” Ritchie replied.

It’s brutal, but it’s remarkable. And I think Gus has done the right thing.

“He’s come in there and thought ‘you know what, this place needs a complete overhaul’, and he’s rolled his sleeves up and done it.”

There’s no argument that the Bulldogs’ roster at the start of the 2024 season is significantly better than the 2021 edition.

Gould and the Bulldogs have recruited well with the likes of premiership winners Stephen Crichton, Matt Burton and Viliame Kikau coming to Belmore from the Panthers.

Hooker Reed Mahoney is one of the best in the league at his position as is Josh Addo-Carr when he’s on.

The high turnover can explain the growing pains over the past three seasons, as results from a complete roster overhaul aren’t expected overnight.

However, fans and pundits expected much better than 16th in 2023. But with the team they have in 2024 as well as a season under the belt of second-year coach Cameron Ciraldo, the Bulldogs should be one of the sharpest improvers in 2024.

While premiership hopes aren’t high, it wouldn’t be a shock to see a team which is littered with stars push for a top eight spot.

This season is the 20th anniversary of the Bulldogs most recent premiership (2004), so it’d be a great year for the club to show something.

Like Gould was able to do so successfully for the Panthers during his time there between 2011-2019, Bulldogs CEO Aaron Warburton has pointed that the club’s pathway programs have strengthened significantly.

“We have worked hard towards becoming a development club again, which has shown in recent junior representative results, male and female,” Warburton told The Daily Telegraph.

“We’ve strengthened our pathways and created more opportunities for young talent coming through our Academy systems.

“We’ve recruited well and now have a nice mix of young, hungry talent, experience and football IQ, which we hope inspires the next generation.”IMG_2795.jpeg

Last edited:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Onward an upward then :grinning:

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
With Monday’s release of disgruntled forward Raymond Faitala-Mariner, the Bulldogs do not have one player from their original top 30 squad from 2021 on this season’s roster.

Led by general manager of football Phil Gould, the Bulldogs have remarkably flipped their entire roster in the space of three years.

Gould was hired by the club in 2021, and clearly wasn’t scared to make some or a lot of tough decisions.

The Daily Telegraph’s Dean Ritchie, who wrote a column on the extreme and efficient overhaul, appeared on the Big Sports Breakfast radio show on Wednesday morning.

“In 2021, just three years ago, I went through the entire 30 man squad and there isn’t a single player left,” Ritchie told BSB hosts Gerald Middleton, Laurie Daley and Michael Clarke.

“The last player standing was Raymond Faitala-Mariner who left to go the Dragons.

Daley then asked Ritchie if an overhaul like this has happened so quickly before.

“I cannot recall an entire 30 man roster to be dismantled over just three years. It is extraordinary,” Ritchie replied.

It’s brutal, but it’s remarkable. And I think Gus has done the right thing.

“He’s come in there and thought ‘you know what, this place needs a complete overhaul’, and he’s rolled his sleeves up and done it.”

There’s no argument that the Bulldogs’ roster at the start of the 2024 season is significantly better than the 2021 edition.

Gould and the Bulldogs have recruited well with the likes of premiership winners Stephen Crichton, Matt Burton and Viliame Kikau coming to Belmore from the Panthers.

Hooker Reed Mahoney is one of the best in the league at his position as is Josh Addo-Carr when he’s on.

The high turnover can explain the growing pains over the past three seasons, as results from a complete roster overhaul aren’t expected overnight.

However, fans and pundits expected much better than 16th in 2023. But with the team they have in 2024 as well as a season under the belt of second-year coach Cameron Ciraldo, the Bulldogs should be one of the sharpest improvers in 2024.

While premiership hopes aren’t high, it wouldn’t be a shock to see a team which is littered with stars push for a top eight spot.

This season is the 20th anniversary of the Bulldogs most recent premiership (2004), so it’d be a great year for the club to show something.

Like Gould was able to do so successfully for the Panthers during his time there between 2011-2019, Bulldogs CEO Aaron Warburton has pointed that the club’s pathway programs have strengthened significantly.

“We have worked hard towards becoming a development club again, which has shown in recent junior representative results, male and female,” Warburton told The Daily Telegraph.

“We’ve strengthened our pathways and created more opportunities for young talent coming through our Academy systems.

“We’ve recruited well and now have a nice mix of young, hungry talent, experience and football IQ, which we hope inspires the next generation.”View attachment 101480
Job half done...
Job completion is, if the recruits perform admirably and we recruit couple more props !

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We finished 15th, not 16th in 2023.
Can they even get basic facts right?

Great to see so much dead wood moved on. The losing culture was contagious to new recruits coming in. Had to be done.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Looking at the 21 team, it still looks far better than the 08 team which was made of pure reserve graders like Groom, Nanai, Winitana, Morin, Hickey, Te Maari, Cleal, etc.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I’m struggling to see why it might be controversial that a team who won the wooden spoon would not be carved up and shipped off quickly. To me the strategy has been obvious for a while - now it’s just a matter of seeing the NRL team start to show those results.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
glad it wasn’t another reckless attack on the club by the media because I’d question what they want us to do, keep the same rosters and attitudes and aim for the spoon again? The place needed a shake up and Gus has the balls to deliver it.

Burgler

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Na, Ritchie is @Turd_Burgler
Haha he is from up my way in Newcastle and refers to himself as Bulldog, but can confirm he never approached me for this info, just stole it. Journalism at its best! The kennel is where the good oil is at (sometimes), we probably have the biggest forum of any other side in the nrl so I’m sure journos would have a look on here from time to time

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha he is from up my way in Newcastle and refers to himself as Bulldog, but can confirm he never approached me for this info, just stole it. Journalism at its best! The kennel is where the good oil is at (sometimes), we probably have the biggest forum of any other side in the nrl so I’m sure journos would have a look on here from time to time
For sure they check here.. ahemm Michael Chee Kam...

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hard to see more than 3 or 4 players from that side with a chance to play in the current 17.
Maybe Meaney & DZW. Hetherington or Elliott on the bench & JMK as a utility LOL. Meaney probably the only one I'd have back.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
It needed to happen and only downside is it affects cohesion and combinations. So hope we get that fixed asap