Broncos' Peter Wallace may ride to NSW Blues' rescue after Jarryd Hayne experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
QUEENSLAND greats believe NSW's teetering Origin hopes hinge on sending an SOS to Broncos halfback Peter Wallace after Jarryd Hayne's five-eighth experiment backfired.

With NSW limping towards another Origin series as huge underdogs, Wallace missed Sunday's City-Country clash with a groin injury.

But Hayne's insipid performance in the City No.6 alongside incumbent NSW halfback Mitchell Pearce has again opened the door for the in-form Bronco.

Former NSW halfback Brett Kimmorley yesterday wrote off Hayne (left) as an Origin playmaker. Wallace can advance his claims if he out-points former Maroon rival Scott Prince in his anticipated return against the Titans on Friday night.

Originally considered on the outer, Pearce appears safe as NSW's No.7 after his commanding display in City's 24-22 defeat of Country in Mudgee.

But with even Hayne admitting he failed to impress selectors, the five-eighth spot is wide open.

Maroon legends are adamant Wallace's three-year interstate exile must come to an end.

"If they won't pick Jamie Soward (NSW five-eighth last year), I would have to put Peter Wallace in there, because I know what I'm going to get with him," former Maroons firebrand Gorden Tallis said.

"Personally if I was with NSW I'd have Mitchell Pearce at halfback because they built on him last year and Ricky Stuart (NSW coach) has a high opinion of him.

"But Wallace is a tough player.

"The Broncos are up there in the competition, there is a lot of pressure on Wallace (without Darren Lockyer), yet they haven't skipped a beat. They keep jumping over every hurdle and Wallace has been the architect."

It was widely believed Wallace's Origin days were over when he was axed after the 2009 series loss, but Queensland five-eighth legend Wally Lewis said he deserved a recall.

"I thought he was up front in the running after his performances for the Broncos," Lewis said.

"At the very least it makes the NSW selectors feel comfortable that if they want to use Hayne somewhere else Wallace is there.

"His creativity is a lot more scheduled, he knows what he is going to do . . .

"Based on consistency you'd have to go for Wallace."

Former NSW and Australian halfback Kimmorley is not convinced Hayne is more potent at five-eighth than fullback.

"I don't think he can be the Origin five-eighth," he said. "His body at the moment is maybe not even up to playing rep footy."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...hayne-experiment/story-e6frepbx-1226336571404

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bronco's Wallace back from injury

Brisbane have made just one change for Friday night's NRL derby against the Gold Coast with halfback Peter Wallace returning from injury.

Wallace who is firming sharply to play in the halves for NSW in next month's Origin series, returns from a groin tear for the Suncorp Stadium clash.

Utility Ben Hunt, who filled in for Wallace against the Raiders when Brisbane chalked up their fifth straight win, drops back to the bench for Friday's match.

Meanwhile young Brisbane winger Jharal Yow Yeh will have surgery on Tuesday morning on his broken leg 32 days after suffering a compound fracture and dislocation of his ankle.

Just before entering the operating theatre Yow Yeh tweeted: "On my way to theatre, can't wait for it all to be over."

Yow Yeh is expected to spend another seven days in hospital before he's able to go home.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/broncos-wallace-back-from-injury-20120424-1xi82.html

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Gotta agree. Peter Wallace is the man for the job ....

The rest are pea-hearts.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
i wasn't impressed by pretty much any one of the 34 players in city v country

of the halves, carney was the best, but i just never sensed any player really grabbing the game by the balls and metaphorically grabbing ricky stuart by the shirt and saying 'hey, i'm your ****in man'

piss weak

P

Paint.

Let's see how he goes after recovering from that groin injury...

PantherPower83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will be harsh if Wallace is not given a crack at Origin this year - he has been instrumental in the Broncos' success this year. My preference is Wallace over Pearce but I suspect Pearce will get it based on incumbency.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Wallace and Carney would be my pick tbh with Hayne, (if fully fit) at fullback

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Whose missus has Wallace slept with as he is easily the form NSW HB but cant seem to get a look in.

The incumbent stuff is BS as Buderus was promised the hooking spot from pretty much round 2.

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
Carney is and should be the #6, has been in good form and has that x factor about him. Pearce and Wallace can battle it out for the #7.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Carney is and should be the #6, has been in good form and has that x factor about him. Pearce and Wallace can battle it out for the #7.
that's a fair call, i agree. but, unfortunately wallace has been set back by his recent injury and going by this season form, he should be there. if he can continue that form this week onwards some more that is

pearce has just never gone another level in his game. he is just no threat to the qld team. he wasn't even a threat to the country team really. it's a sad reality for nsw of recent years

Naki

Kennel Established
Reaction score
i don't understand how you can consider hayne for 5/8.. he's not a ****ing 5/8 he's a fullback, PLAY HIM THERE IF YOU WANT HIM IN THE TEAM!

if the halves aren't Carney and Wallace...(which is the form halves pairing for NSW) then the selectors need the sack..

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
From what footy Ive seen this year, Wally is well above the other 7s ...

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wallace and Carney is the combo anyone with half a brain would pick. Unfortunately Ricky has proven time and time again he has zero cerebral capacity by picking his mates son who is the biggest dud in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.