Not open for further replies.

PigBenis

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Broncos demand explanation from Wayne Bennett
Article from: The Sunday Mail (Qld)

David Riccio and Peter Badel

December 01, 2007 11:00pm

BRISBANE chief executive Bruno Cullen will hold urgent talks tomorrow with coach Wayne Bennett following speculation he is about to join North Queensland.

Cullen said he would not stand in Bennett's way if he wishes to end his 20-year association with the Broncos and join the Cowboys – or any other club for that matter – despite being under contract until 2009.

In a dramatic development, The Sunday Mail has learned North Queensland are mounting a high-level "Roosters-style" push to poach Bennett, a scenario that would leave Brisbane without a coach for 2009.

Bennett's bungled negotiations with the Roosters last year has prompted an immediate reaction from Cullen over suggestions the Broncos mentor is poised to replace Graham Murray at the Cowboys.

"I want to have a chat to Wayne on Monday and see what his plans are," Cullen said yesterday. "I don't want to go down that path again. What we need is stability going into the year.

"If there's something there then I'd be happy to discuss it with him (Bennett) and find out all about it.

"We treat the coaches like the players, and the players are free to do what they like around contract time."

The Cowboys' rumoured bid to poach Bennett further complicates life for Murray, four months after he was sacked as NSW coach. Senior Brisbane officials are concerned that an approach has been made to Bennett, fearing the six-time premiership-winning mentor is considering an early departure to replace Murray.

"Yes, I got a call suggesting that it was on," Cullen said. "There's been enough speculation of late to suggest that is the case."

Family pressure ultimately prevented Bennett's move to Sydney, but a shift to Townsville could be an attractive alternative.

Relations between Bennett and Broncos powerbrokers have gradually dissolved.

The most serious ructions occurred in September last year after Bennett's clandestine plan to join the Roosters was exposed, infuriating the Brisbane board.

The coach's clout at the club was further eroded in October, when Bennett refused to make an acceptance speech after receiving life membership of the Broncos at Brisbane's end-of-season presentation night.

Murray did a terrific job with an injury-plagued Cowboys team in 2007, getting them to within one game of their second grand final despite having most of his forwards missing and Johnathan Thurston playing hurt.

However, Bennett's record is unmatched.

Cowboys chief executive Peter Parr dismissed talk of an approach to Bennett.

However, he failed to guarantee Murray's future at the club beyond next year.

"I don't know where any of this is coming from," Parr said yesterday.

"Certainly I haven't discussed the long-time coaching position with Graham or with the board.

"The coaching position for 2009 has not been on my radar at all. All we're doing is trying to prepare the best we can for 2008."

Should Bennett cut ties with the Broncos for 2009, the Red Hill club would have more than one viable replacement to consider.

Former Roosters coach Ricky Stuart, off-contract at the end of next season at Cronulla, was set to complete a direct swap when Roosters supremo Nick Politis hatched plans to poach Bennett.

Canberra coach Neil Henry is highly regarded by Broncos powerbrokers. So too is Craig Bellamy, although the Melbourne mentor is signed until the end of 2009 and is unlikely to walk out after steering the club to a premiership this season.

Bennett did not return calls to The Sunday Mail yesterday but revealed earlier this season he was prepared to coach a rival club.

"If the Broncos want to hire someone else, that's fine, but I won't rule out the possibility of coaching somewhere," he said.

"If they (Brisbane) said this is what we need to do, then I may still want to coach and be relevant somewhere.

"It will be a difficult time for me, but one I've prepared for as best as I can. I won't stay at the Broncos one minute more than I should."

80fic...

we haven't even got to 2008, and yet around 6 coaches are either already under pressure to keeps their jobs in 2009, or are think of leaving thier clubs in 2009.

What's next will clubs be signing coaches for 2012 and the end of next season???

ThatsNikkisTeam

Reaction score
Bennet only pulled out of the roosters role because the media caught on... I think he wanted it to be a total suprise. Maybe now he will stay put again since the media has caught on.

PigBenis

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bennet is just looking at what the future holds for him and he knows he is not going to be at the broncos beyond 09. i just feel srry for murry

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Bennet is just looking at what the future holds for him and he knows he is not going to be at the broncos beyond 09. i just feel srry for murry

yeh whats Murray done wrong?

80fic...

yeh whats Murray done wrong?
He hasn't done anything wrong, but He hasn't won a comp while the team has played in 3 preliminary finals in 4 seasons.

maybe bennett can take them to the next level.

Leesee

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
slow news day. laurence (our club chairman) came out and cracked it at the media in today's sunday mail. reckons he's never met wayne bennett, and said why would murray leave? he hasn't done anything wrong and club hasn't done anything wrong to him.

'G'

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind Graham Murray as a replacement to Folkes for '09. Maybe he could bring Thurston and Bowen over with him :p

dogsrareligion

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Bennett is too old and frail to put up with the drama at the dogs. We dont want to be taken to court and be sued for causing him a heart attack.

QLDGirl

queensland rock
Reaction score
Both clubs have denied it, Bennett has said he is staying so eh.

To be honest I'm not fussed either way if WB stays on after 09 or leaves. It might be time for a change, we'll just have to wait and see I guess.

UnderCoverBrother

Kennel Established
Reaction score
No thank you.

his methods are out dated.
for a coach that won a premiership in 06 , and four premierships in the last 10 years his methods seems to have some success. although i can't see him coaching the dogs or any other team but the broncos or another Queensland related team

Status
Not open for further replies.