News Brisbane Broncos England International Herbie Farnsworth On Bulldogs Radar

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean Ritchie

The Broncos face a fight to hold on to international star Herbie Farnworth, with another NRL club urged to make a play for the England sensation.

Canterbury Bulldogs general manager of football, Phil Gould, has revealed an internal player-led push for his club to sign Brisbane’s English star, Herbie Farnworth.

And in another surprise revelation, Gould conceded an interest in several other English players.

After Farnworth’s brilliant World Cup, Bulldogs enforcer and English teammate Luke Thompson spoke to Gould about pursuing the Broncos centre, who, like almost 200 other players, comes off contract after next season.

Farnworth, 23, has also attracted interest from Sydney Roosters and the Dolphins.

In a text exchange with News Corp, Gould also spoke of further exploring the English player market.

And Gould has been buoyed by Thompson’s claims that several British stars had expressed a keen interest in joining the NRL.

Farnworth wants to play fullback – a position he could fill at Belmore from 2024.

The Bulldogs have been strongly linked to Samoan and Panthers champion, Stephen Crichton, also off contract after next season.

Canterbury would need to determine whether they opt to chase Farnworth or Crichton, who can play centre and fullback.

Asked about Farnworth, Gould admitted: “Never spoken to him (but) Luke Thompson said he was very impressed with him from the RLWC. That’s all I know.

“Luke was particularly keen on Herbie.

“I think he manages himself and I’m told he’s sorted elsewhere. I haven’t delved into it and haven’t spoken to Luke since England lost last week.

“But yes, Luke was very impressed with several of the UK squad, including Herbie.

“Several have indicated they’d like to play in the NRL. There’s plenty of talent there.”

Pressed on whether he would monitor Farnworth’s progress, Gould said: “I watch every player.”

And when asked whether he had a ‘soft spot’ for English players, Gould said: “Always.”

The Bulldogs are attempting to tidy up their salary cap for a significant crack at Farnworth or Crichton.

Gould is acutely aware he requires a fullback to help build his club’s spine around five-eighth Matt Burton and hooker Reed Mahoney.

Farnworth has become one of the hottest young players in rugby league. He has a desire to remain at Brisbane but wants to shift back to fullback.
The Bulldogs have several highly promising centres coming through their junior system meaning there would be a spot available at fullback for either Farnworth or Crichton.

Canterbury has also signed highly-regarded former North Sydney and Sydney Roosters youngster Jacob Preston, who can play back row or centre.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Crichton > Farnworth, but Farnworth would be a lot cheaper. Not sure why you'd be listening to what Thompson wants tho. Surely he's half way out the door.

Artybulldog 26

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
Reaction score
“Luke was particularly keen on Herbie.

“I think he manages himself and I’m told he’s sorted elsewhere. I haven’t delved into it and haven’t spoken to Luke since England lost last week.
Doesn’t this mean that he’s signed elsewhere if he’s sorted elsewhere?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Herbie is way better, go twerk for Crichton on the Panther forum.
No he isn't, would be a bigger risk than Crichton imo, I would still take it tho if we couldn't get Crichton, also I hate the Panthers so not sure why I would do that.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
No he isn't, would be a bigger risk than Crichton imo, I would still take it tho if we couldn't get Crichton, also I hate the Panthers so not sure why I would do that.
No way

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He’s mid.
At fullback. Untested, similiar to the crighton thing but is daylights better than Crighton ofc. We NEED to recruit forwards. Need to set a platform up for our spine. I would like Herbie but rather we cash in on some props first. Losing Klemmer, huge blow