Brett Morris' imminent return for Canterbury Bulldogs to end Will Hopoate's run at fullback

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Brett Morris' imminent return for Canterbury Bulldogs to end Will Hopoate's run at fullback

Will Hopoate has won more players' player awards than any other Bulldog this season, but the 24-year-old is set to play his final game at fullback on Monday with Brett Morris poised to return for the round 16 clash against Brisbane.

Morris, who has missed the entire season with a knee injury, has begun training with the team after five months of rehabilitation and is eyeing off a return after next weekend's bye when the Bulldogs host Brisbane at ANZ Stadium on June 25.

Hopoate, who has been a success in the No.1 jersey since joining the Bulldogs in the pre-season, has expressed his desire to remain at fullback long term, but Monday's clash against St George Illawarra looms as his last.

Fairfax Media understands Morris will be given the nod to slot straight back into the custodian role, with Hopoate to shift back out to the familiar centre position when the representative star returns.

"He's coming along good mate," Hopoate said of Morris. "He had a run with us last week and things are looking positive for him. We are hoping he's back in the team sooner rather than later. I'm not too sure where Des [Hasler] wants to go.

"I think B Moz has the same mentality as me where the needs of the team come first and our personal needs come second. I'll do what's best for the team. If that means I go back to centre, then so be it. But I'd love to stay at fullback, I'm really enjoying my time there."

Hopoate returned to the NRL in the narrow loss to Cronulla on Monday night after a brief stint on the sidelines having decided not to play Sunday games due to his religious beliefs.

The former Manly and Parramatta back says he has no regrets about his decision and intends to continue resting on the Sabbath.

"I know I've made the right decision and I'm thankful to the Bulldogs for allowing me to make that decision as well," Hopoate said.

"It was tough having that month off, getting flogged especially, but I needed it because on Monday I didn't feel too unfit. It'll be ideal to do this [for the rest of my career], but in saying that, I have a responsibility to my employers and I totally understand and respect that.

"If we can come to some sort of agreement where both parties are happy, that'll be good. We haven't really spoken about the plan [for finals] since I put pen to paper. We're midway through the season now so I'm sure we'll cross that bridge when it comes."

While he missed out on an Origin recall, Hopoate doesn't believe his decision cost him his NSW jersey.

"I wouldn't say it cost me a spot," he said. "I was never a certain starter anyway. I think the boys who got picked are playing great footy and thoroughly deserved it.

"Even if I played those three weeks and they went with that back five, I really wouldn't be disappointed because I honestly feel they have been playing good enough to be there."

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...hopoates-run-at-fullback-20160608-gpek1e.html

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

Will Hopoate has won more players' player awards than any other Bulldog this season, but the 24-year-old is set to play his final game at fullback on Monday with Brett Morris poised to return for the round 16 clash against Brisbane.

Morris, who has missed the entire season with a knee injury, has begun training with the team after five months of rehabilitation and is eyeing off a return after next weekend's bye when the Bulldogs host Brisbane at ANZ Stadium on June 25.

Hopoate, who has been a success in the No.1 jersey since joining the Bulldogs in the pre-season, has expressed his desire to remain at fullback long term, but Monday's clash against St George Illawarra looms as his last.

Fairfax Media understands Morris will be given the nod to slot straight back into the custodian role, with Hopoate to shift back out to the familiar centre position when the representative star returns.

"He's coming along good mate," Hopoate said of Morris. "He had a run with us last week and things are looking positive for him. We are hoping he's back in the team sooner rather than later. I'm not too sure where Des [Hasler] wants to go.

"I think B Moz has the same mentality as me where the needs of the team come first and our personal needs come second. I'll do what's best for the team. If that means I go back to centre, then so be it. But I'd love to stay at fullback, I'm really enjoying my time there."

Hopoate returned to the NRL in the narrow loss to Cronulla on Monday night after a brief stint on the sidelines having decided not to play Sunday games due to his religious beliefs.

The former Manly and Parramatta back says he has no regrets about his decision and intends to continue resting on the Sabbath.

"I know I've made the right decision and I'm thankful to the Bulldogs for allowing me to make that decision as well," Hopoate said.

"It was tough having that month off, getting flogged especially, but I needed it because on Monday I didn't feel too unfit. It'll be ideal to do this [for the rest of my career], but in saying that, I have a responsibility to my employers and I totally understand and respect that.

"If we can come to some sort of agreement where both parties are happy, that'll be good. We haven't really spoken about the plan [for finals] since I put pen to paper. We're midway through the season now so I'm sure we'll cross that bridge when it comes."

While he missed out on an Origin recall, Hopoate doesn't believe his decision cost him his NSW jersey.

"I wouldn't say it cost me a spot," he said. "I was never a certain starter anyway. I think the boys who got picked are playing great footy and thoroughly deserved it.

"Even if I played those three weeks and they went with that back five, I really wouldn't be disappointed because I honestly feel they have been playing good enough to be there."

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...hopoates-run-at-fullback-20160608-gpek1e.html
I think B Moz has the same mentality as me where the needs of the team come first and our personal needs come second. I'll do what's best for the team

hmmmm ok

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
ok so throw a guy with no match fitness and returning from a serious long term injury (has only just started running) straight in to the position that requires the most endurance and causes too much physical strain on players who have had full pre seasons

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hoppas doing just as good if not better than BMoz did at fullback ...

Definately better passing game

Prefer BMoz returning on Perretts wing

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I think B Moz has the same mentality as me where the needs of the team come first and our personal needs come second. I'll do what's best for the team

hmmmm ok
Haha I read that and thought WTF team needs first lol

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
grimaldi is going to flog him hard and he will soon be begging and praying to play sundays.

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Must be a des smokescreen no way Bmoz straight into fullback after months on the sideline and Hoppa going so well.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We just had to get that IMMINENT word in there somewhere. BMoz did say he was keen to get back on the field but indicated he would be doing what would be best for the team.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
"I think B Moz has the same mentality as me where the needs of the team come first and our personal needs come second. I'll do what's best for the team.

come again hoppa?

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I really don't understand what the club is doing anymore. Instead of buying a fullback we buy a winger and try and make him into a fullback, as a result his body can't cope and he's had numerous knee surgeries.

Then we recruit a player that slots in well at fullback but we give him Sunday's off. So to minimise the disruption we move him back to the centre. Its just a shambles.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Also i read today that the Bulldogs were in talks with David Mead i dont know how true it is!
Another fullback/winger..
He would be nice though!

Last edited:

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Also i read today that the Bulldogs were in talks with David Mead i dont know how true it is!
Another fullback/winger..
I cant fathom buying in players for speed that are nearing the end of their careers. Backwards logic.

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Sounds like the usual Hasler game plan... "Lets change the only thing about this team that's not a complete fuck up".

Status
Not open for further replies.