Brett Finch - Bloke in a Bar podcast - Admits to salary cap cheating

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gents

Did any of you get a load of the Finchy podcast with Denan Kemp?

Was a pretty good listen. Great insight into someone who lived and breathed league for 3 decades. He played the villain to our beloved Bulldogs for a few years there but gee - he was unbelievably earnest. A couple of things that he mentioned:

• Still has an amicable relationship with Sticky. He also recounted a time when Sticky told Finchy "You cost me two grand finals". Brutal.
  • Growing up in Newcastle in the Johns era and what that was like.
  • Got on the piss a fair bit. Was also blind drunk when arriving into camp the day before his famous FG.
  • Living in Wigan, meeting Ryan Giggs and being in the dressing room after a ManU game. Rooney and Rio Ferdinand actually walked up to him to say hi - both were league buffs
  • Dishes out on Foxsports and why he was not re-signed with them after last year. Reckons they used his stint in rehab against him, which was something he put his hand up to do to help him with his addictions.
  • Spoke candidly of depression post footy.
  • And probably the biggest part for me - near verbatim - "Melbourne were the only club NOT to pay me under the table". For those who do not know - he played for Canberra, Roosters, and then Parra before making his way down south. Watch from about 1 hour 20 in for this one.

Personally - I can't recall too many players saying after their career that they were paid outside the cap. But for me, that's deadset proof that the Roosters in the early naughties were cheating. Only difference is, they got away with it.

Last edited:

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
  • Still has an amicable relationship with Sticky. He also recounted a time when Sticky told Finchy "You cost me two grand finals". Brutal
thankfully, Stuart has continued to coach FG for 15 years without having to rely on Finch and has gone on to have further premiership success... wait...

and Stuart's poor bench rotation cost the Roosters the 2004 Grand Final with only Anthony Tupou getting any meaningful minutes, especially considering the 'Dogs were fielding a smaller team with Maitua starting in the back row and Corey Hughes and Thurston on the bench

Stuart on the field was one of the most underrated players I have ever watched but off it just an unaccountable tosser

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gents

Was a pretty good listen. Great insight into someone who lived and breathed league for 3 decades. He played the villain to our beloved Bulldogs for a few years there but gee - he was unbelievably earnest. A couple of things that he mentioned:

• Still has an amicable relationship with Sticky. He also recounted a time when Sticky told Finchy "You cost me two grand finals". Brutal.
  • Got on the piss a fair bit. Was also blind drunk when arriving into camp the day before his famous FG.
  • Living in Wigan, meeting Ryan Giggs and being in the dressing room after a ManU game. Rooney and Rio Ferdinand actually walked up to him to say hi - both were league buffs
  • Dishes out on Foxsports and why he was not re-signed with them after last year. Reckons they used his stint in rehab against him, which was something he put his hand up to do to help him with his addictions.
  • And probably the biggest part for me - near verbatim - "Melbourne were the only club NOT to pay me under the table". For those who do not know - he played for Canberra, Roosters, and then Parra before making his way down south. Watch from about 1 hour 20 in for this one.

Personally - I can't recall too many players saying after their career that they were paid outside the cap. But for me, that's deadset proof that the Roosters in the early naughties were cheating. Only difference is, they got away with it.
I'm not going to listen to it because Kemp annoys me. But he's not the first player to implicate cap cheating at the Roosters.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I did notice that and had a little chuckle. Not much we can do and it's nothing we didn't already know.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Gents

I always wondered what happened to Kemp. He scored 20 tries in 28 games for the Broncos which is a pretty good strike rate. He kind of just... disappeared.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always wondered what happened to Kemp. He scored 20 tries in 28 games for the Broncos which is a pretty good strike rate. He kind of just... disappeared.
Went to the warriors to my memory then faded.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yet another mention to add to the list that shows it was rife, and likely still is. It gets mentioned too often by people who were there. Next question though would be, how much are we talking about?

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Went to the warriors to my memory then faded.
Went to Warriors and struggled. Had a stint at the Broncos, dabbled in Union, had a crack at the Dragons, then found his way back to the Broncos were he eventually retired.

Wasn't a league buff - grew up playing soccer IIRC. A few of his interviews has irked me because there are a heap of instances where players from the naughties are discussed, and he has no idea who they are (Mark McClinden is one that I remember from the top of my head).

Seems to of really rode the wave of social media since, created his own beer and his own podcast.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
I can’t stand Finch but the points are really interesting and not surprising. Fox not renewing him made me so happy
Finchy pingin' like Tyrone Biggums on the Matt Johns Podcast episode was one of the funniest things in tv history. Off chops.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Finchy pingin' like Tyrone Biggums on the Matt Johns Podcast episode was one of the funniest things in tv history. Off chops.
Haha yep but laughing at him not with him

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Finchy is WAY better on the Matty Johns podcast than Blocker.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Finchy is WAY better on the Matty Johns podcast than Blocker.
Ya reckon? Blocker has forgotten more about RL than Finch would ever know. Finch is just a talking head, a chuckling imbo who probably only got a gig because he is buddies with Johns. He's only slightly higher on the scale than Anasta.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I never had a problem with the Dogs doing it. The only mistake we did was leaving enough evidence to get caught.
Finally an honest take on the cap rorting.

We need to get back to winning ways and prevent clubs like Rorters and Melbourne frauds having a two horse race every season.

Souffs are probably the only other club showing more ambition to win the comp with big money signings.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
And honestly wtf are Penrith doing? They were one game away from winning, they should be out strengthening their roster to go again but have made stuff all signings.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And honestly wtf are Penrith doing? They were one game away from winning, they should be out strengthening their roster to go again but have made stuff all signings.
They don’t need too.
They have arguably the best nursery in the NRL.

Reactions: ATT

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Ya reckon? Blocker has forgotten more about RL than Finch would ever know. Finch is just a talking head, a chuckling imbo who probably only got a gig because he is buddies with Johns. He's only slightly higher on the scale than Anasta.
Blocker never lets anyone finish their stories. He talks way too much.