Brennan warns Hipgrave "stop being baited or get dropped".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/07/24...-stop-being-baited-or-start-playing-reserves/

Gold Coast coach Garth Brennan has issued a warning to young bull Keegan Hipgrave to stop reacting to baiting or be dropped to the Intrust Super Cup.

The 21-year-old forward, who last week signed a two-year deal with the Titans, is the man to add the edge of defensive aggression and brutal line-speed to the Gold Coast outfit. But he has become a target after being too easily lured into unnecessary scuffles with opponents.

In Newcastle last Saturday he conceded a penalty after responding to being grabbed by Knights forward Lachlan Fitzgibbon at a crucial time in the second half, sparking a small melee.

Brennan said, after 14 NRL appearances, it was about time the player he's described as a "loose cannon" learned to temper his emotions.

"He's going to play against a lot of players who are very good at niggling and sledging and, if you're going to be fighting each week, you're going to be spending a lot of time on the sideline. And if you're doing that, you're going to be spending a lot of time at Tweed or Burleigh. He's got a lot of learning to do. He has to be smarter than that [referring to his reaction on Fitzgerald]. That's just dumb, letting himself get caught up in that sort of stuff."

Hipgrave has been chosen to start again as left-edge second-rower in the side to take on the Warriors at Cbus Super Stadium on Sunday.

In response to the coach's "loose cannon" description, Hipgrave said on Monday, "I like that I bring the aggression to the side but... controlled loose cannon [would be better]? Obviously there's the line I need to find sometimes. I don't think anyone likes to give away too many penalties."

Status
Not open for further replies.