Brendan Piakura consolidated thread

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I remember Bennett saying at some stage that he wouldn't pay over a certain amount (600k perhaps) for a prop. Basically the 4 of them play 40 to 50 minutes tops. As such you are paying $2,4m for 2 positions shared by 4 players who at some stage could get suspended.

Hence best spend $$ on the spine.
That was when the Salary Cap was $6m

Go Dogs

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That because Melbourne are keeping him overweight to keep him in the forward and only a back up hooker.

I saw interview with Brandon earlier this year and he said his ideal weight is about 10 kg lighter especially to play hooker but they have him at the higher weight to play in the forwards.
He also said in that interview that he loves bellamy cos he can go out on the drink and bellamy would be fine with aslong as he backed up and trained hard the next day. not sustainable.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone able to open this story?
Bulldogs close in on Broncos young gun Brendan Piakura

Bulldogs chair John Khoury has opened up on his club’s pursuit of Brisbane sensation Brendan Piakura as the Broncos launch a rearguard assault to keep the teenager from becoming the latest emerging superstar to walk out the door.
Piakura has toured Canterbury-Bankstown’s Belmore facilities and held talks with coach Trent Barrett, heightening speculation that the club are leading the race for the 18-year-old as they prepare to meet the Broncos at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night.

Khoury revealed they were among five clubs believed to be in the mix for the teenager and confirmed they were hopeful of receiving an answer in the next fortnight. Brisbane remain confident that they will keep Piakura, but they were also bullish about fullback Reece Walsh only to have him join the Warriors.

They can ill-afford to lose another integral component of their future, hence the 11th hour moves to convince Piakura to stay.

“We’re one of five clubs that are actually interested in him,” Khoury said.

“He’s a good kid and we would be delighted to have him but there is some stiff competition. So we’ll see how it goes in the next week or so.

“Baz (coach Trent Barrett) is a good judge of football players so let’s see what happens.”

Piakura has also attracted interest from the Gold Coast Titans, one of three Broncos players in the sights of their near neighbours along with Kotoni Staggs and Xavier Coates.

The Broncos are expected to hold further talks with Piakura’s family this week as they look to fend off interest in a player who has been touted as one of the game’s emerging stars.

The club landed a significant blow in the player market on Tuesday afternoon when back rower Jordan Riki signed a contract extension that will tie him to the club until the end of 2024.

“There is always talk about a young roster here and that sort of thing, but I think the club is doing a massive thing ..... churning out good quality players that every other club wants,” said Broncos forward Patrick Carrigan, who rejected a big offer from the Bulldogs a few years ago.

“I think they are doing something right in that department and I think it is really important that we try to keep Brendy.

“I stay pretty neutral on these things and tell him I want to keep him, but everyone has their own reasons and he has to make that decision for himself.

“I know Kevvie is building something at the club where everyone wants to be part of it.”

Asked whether the loss of Walsh and the potential departure of Piakura hinted at a cultural issue within the Broncos, Carrigan said the players could help the club’s cause by winning games.

The Broncos have started the season with consecutive losses and some have billed Saturday’s game against the Bulldogs as an early playoff for the wooden spoon.

That may be premature, but there is no doubt the Broncos need to start winning some games to ease the pressure on the players, Walters and the club.

You only had to look at the response to revelations that the club had cancelled a day at the races involving their Old Boys to get a gauge of the intense atmosphere around the Broncos at the moment.

Carrigan backed that decision and denied the club had cultural issues.

“I don’t think there is a cultural issue or anything like that. players leave for different reasons and they are all personal reasons,” Carrigan said.

“Players leave every club and they happen to be leaving the Broncos at the moment. I don’t think there is a cultural issue. We are all really good mates on and off the field.

“When you win footy games, that goes a long way to keeping young talents and young kids at the club because they want to be part of it.

“I feel responsible for that and I know some of the other boys do. We need to put performances on the field and somewhat bring it back to a club that people want to play in.”

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bulldogs close in on Broncos young gun Brendan Piakura

Bulldogs chair John Khoury has opened up on his club’s pursuit of Brisbane sensation Brendan Piakura as the Broncos launch a rearguard assault to keep the teenager from becoming the latest emerging superstar to walk out the door.
Piakura has toured Canterbury-Bankstown’s Belmore facilities and held talks with coach Trent Barrett, heightening speculation that the club are leading the race for the 18-year-old as they prepare to meet the Broncos at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night.

Khoury revealed they were among five clubs believed to be in the mix for the teenager and confirmed they were hopeful of receiving an answer in the next fortnight. Brisbane remain confident that they will keep Piakura, but they were also bullish about fullback Reece Walsh only to have him join the Warriors.

They can ill-afford to lose another integral component of their future, hence the 11th hour moves to convince Piakura to stay.

“We’re one of five clubs that are actually interested in him,” Khoury said.

“He’s a good kid and we would be delighted to have him but there is some stiff competition. So we’ll see how it goes in the next week or so.

“Baz (coach Trent Barrett) is a good judge of football players so let’s see what happens.”

Piakura has also attracted interest from the Gold Coast Titans, one of three Broncos players in the sights of their near neighbours along with Kotoni Staggs and Xavier Coates.

The Broncos are expected to hold further talks with Piakura’s family this week as they look to fend off interest in a player who has been touted as one of the game’s emerging stars.

The club landed a significant blow in the player market on Tuesday afternoon when back rower Jordan Riki signed a contract extension that will tie him to the club until the end of 2024.

“There is always talk about a young roster here and that sort of thing, but I think the club is doing a massive thing ..... churning out good quality players that every other club wants,” said Broncos forward Patrick Carrigan, who rejected a big offer from the Bulldogs a few years ago.

“I think they are doing something right in that department and I think it is really important that we try to keep Brendy.

“I stay pretty neutral on these things and tell him I want to keep him, but everyone has their own reasons and he has to make that decision for himself.

“I know Kevvie is building something at the club where everyone wants to be part of it.”

Asked whether the loss of Walsh and the potential departure of Piakura hinted at a cultural issue within the Broncos, Carrigan said the players could help the club’s cause by winning games.

The Broncos have started the season with consecutive losses and some have billed Saturday’s game against the Bulldogs as an early playoff for the wooden spoon.

That may be premature, but there is no doubt the Broncos need to start winning some games to ease the pressure on the players, Walters and the club.

You only had to look at the response to revelations that the club had cancelled a day at the races involving their Old Boys to get a gauge of the intense atmosphere around the Broncos at the moment.

Carrigan backed that decision and denied the club had cultural issues.

“I don’t think there is a cultural issue or anything like that. players leave for different reasons and they are all personal reasons,” Carrigan said.

“Players leave every club and they happen to be leaving the Broncos at the moment. I don’t think there is a cultural issue. We are all really good mates on and off the field.

“When you win footy games, that goes a long way to keeping young talents and young kids at the club because they want to be part of it.

“I feel responsible for that and I know some of the other boys do. We need to put performances on the field and somewhat bring it back to a club that people want to play in.”

Thank you @jof

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Not sure what’s happening. Anyone with the inside word here on this one? Few of the blokes in the know previously heard anything?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Looks like it isn't close to being finalised at all. If Piakura picks us over the supposedly 5 clubs interested then that's says a lot about Baz and our chances of progressing further in future years. The last player who toured our facilities twice signed and that was JAC.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apparently the broncos have offered him a 3 year 1.3 million dollar extension

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Apparently the broncos have offered him a 3 year 1.3 million dollar extension
so if your Barrett and the board do you then go back and put another offer in or do we just wait and see?
We need to start making some big signings for next year other then Burton and ado Carr

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
so if your Barrett and the board do you then go back and put another offer in or do we just wait and see?
We need to start making some big signings for next year other then Burton and ado Carr
No, he's still developing physically and mentally, to go 400k for an 18 year old who won't be playing first, or won't be consistent due to him still growing is crazy! Leave on a positive note, and let him know we'll be back for his next contract!

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No, he's still developing, tell him we'll be back for his next contract!
so more of what we have for the next few years?
We will need to start resigning the crap we have if we start missing out on néw recruits

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Brisbane will make life really hard for themselves here if they throw huge money at him. You got a very expensive forward pack as it is and Staggs seems like he’s going to command a bit of coin to stay. I think Kevie’s ego is getting in the way. Does anyone know if he even plays on the opposite edge to Riki? If not geez...

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’d like his signature as much as anyone but I don’t consider Piakura a big signing... Staggs or Angus Crichton, different story

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would rather pay 600K for Matterson ( who adds size and skill) than 400K or more for a kid who hasn't proved anything in first grade yet. Yes he might be a star but he might not also and he might not be ready for first grade for a couple of years yet. We need better players like yesterday.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Brisbane have offered him 400k over 3 years i think he will stay for sure.
He's training with the first grade side.
agreed... I think they will also probably promise him the left edge spot and phase out Alex Glenn

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
so more of what we have for the next few years?
We will need to start resigning the crap we have if we start missing out on néw recruits
but if we keep signing children nothing will happen. got to be a mix.
matterson and PIakura would be a good combo.