Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
This is my first year sitting in The Kennel, and I must admit that it isn't what I thought it would be. You have a relatively small group of people (I guess less than 25% of the kennel) who all obviously know each other pretty well, and they do all of the chanting and drums etc.

Then you have the other 75% who are not really interesting in chanting or chant once or twice a game and complain when people stand up (I hear this every game). I think they are attracted there because the price is great compared to the exact same spot on the other side of the stadium.

But even though it isn't what I thought it would be, I still enjoy sitting there and saying hi to people I follow on twitter or instagram that I recognise. Depending on the membership pricing next year I may opt to sit in GA, and I like that if I have to do this there is a great alternative to the kennel. No one should look at it as competition, just another group supporting the same team. I hope they continue to grow.

ps has anyone complained about The Kennel banner taking up like a whole row of seating yet? Surely that can be done better.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
To be honest, in the end we are one voice, cheering on one team. It doesn't matter how many groups want to branch out and support and cheer on our team, as long as they do so in a sensible manner.

I very much sit on the fence with all this, knowing a little bit of the scenario.

I'm going to go a little more in depth, whilst still remaining rather vague at the same time. Apologies if this post (as a result) becomes a little tricky to follow, but read between the lines and you'll get what I'm talking about. These opinions are my own, based on personal experience and observation of the situation.

On one hand, Bulldogs as a club don't need people supporting the club as they may soccer clubs (by this I mean with flares, intimidation of opposing fans, etc) and potentially recreating problems that have long been removed from the Bulldogs supporters base. The club went through an era like this before, and as fans it hurt EVERYONE when a minority decided to cause problems.

On the other hand is "the loyalist supporters the world have ever seen" in the Bulldogs Army. My honest opinion here is that it very much reminds me of trying to get into a club in the city with a door list. Exclusive entry for certain people, and anyone outside that is given a frosty reception. Bare with me for a second whilst I explain. It seems that the Army has gone from being "a group of people who cheer, chant and celebrate the team", to "a group of close knit friends going to the footy to cheer when our team is winning". I'm sure you will note the difference here, and others may be able to relate.

For me, it's a tricky one. If you imagine it as a set of scales, one side wants to chant all game and really enjoy themselves, invite others to join them, but potentially worries others that things might get out of control and revert to supporters of days gone by. Meanwhile the other side of the scales wants to do everything professionally and by the book, and appease the club, but is really alienating people in the way they are going about things.

It really is a tricky one and it's why I'm sitting on the fence on it. Both organisers of BIB and BA deserve congratulations for having forethought to stand up and lead the charge for firing up the crowd and fellow supporters.

The problem comes when one party rubbishes or attempts to cause problems with the other party, and that is when friction that we all don't need as supporters could occur.

How is it solved? Honestly I don't know. Could be jealousy or the fear of competition for one part, or genuine concern that one party might go too far with things.

One thing that needs to be said though, both sides need to put their attack dogs away, and inform members not to speak out or attempt to create friction between the other party. Someone speaking out on behalf of (but not directly involved as a spokeperson for) one supporters group, has the potential to create real and serious conflict with fellow fans, by shooting their mouth off towards another group, even if the original party don't agree with those sentiments.

That's about all I have to say on the issue.

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
We are talking about supporting the same footy club and not different political parties????

LebaneseBulldog

Bulldogs
Reaction score
No one is attacking anyone. I have liased with tina and we settled anything. For people not aware thats why it was brought up. I dont come on this site but someone showed me this and it is great we are being noticed.

This BIB is a tentative thing pretty much used to gauge the interest. We started 2 months ago as a result of the aforementioned reasons.

Mr invisible no idea what you are on about......

We are just a different group of lads whp support the bulldogs in a more active way...

Not even competition. We dont do what the BA do and we never will. Vice versa. There is a need for active support - games are boring especially if we are losing but one things for sure we will always be chanting. Whether the need will eventuate into a full blown want we will progressively find out. All i know is we are having more fun then people sitting down and thinking they are elitist ie. Suikers comment.

Harby

Trance Family
Reaction score
I love it. Would love to sit with the BIB for a game to Check it out
You're in Lebanon and still on TK? get a life cuz :P

But srs, who cares. Let people support however they like as long as it isn't antisocial. And as Lebanese Dog has said, the BIB are all about active support and nothing more.

HITM3N

THE KENNEL
Gilded
Reaction score
[QUOTE- When we're all at away games, we all sit in one group on a hill : That's the Bulldogs Army.[/QUOTE]

Lol Cannot wait for the Bulldogs and Dragons game at Win Jubilee Stadium, sitting on the hill with the Bulldogs army. What an Atmosphere

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
I'll tell you a truth, I have sat in the kennel all year and all year never have I been approached by any 'member' of the bulldogs Army of any sort of not even to introduce themselves and ask any sort of questions. Even a game when they were trying to get everybody to learn the chant, I remember Anna, handing out flyers that game, I was with my wife, she looks at us hands the chant flyer to everybody around us but just skips us as if we were invisible. After that day, I refuse to to get involved with the 'army'.. Never felt like an outsider in all my life while loving the same team. I for one will be joining the BIB..

LebaneseBulldog

Bulldogs
Reaction score
Interesting.
I'll tell you a truth, I have sat in the kennel all year and all year never have I been approached by any 'member' of the bulldogs Army of any sort of not even to introduce themselves and ask any sort of questions. Even a game when they were trying to get everybody to learn the chant, I remember Anna, handing out flyers that game, I was with my wife, she looks at us hands the chant flyer to everybody around us but just skips us as if we were invisible. After that day, I refuse to to get involved with the 'army'.. Never felt like an outsider in all my life while loving the same team. I for one will be joining the BIB..
Interesting.

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The thing I don't understand is why create a designated section in The Kennel which was designed for active support yet sit there with no intention of making a noise? The section wasnt created just for a flag wave when we run out and score. It has really disappointed me tbh and sitting in TK was deflating. I really don't buy the nonsense of 'this is how it has to be done to weed out the trouble makers'. If organized properly with a dedicated core group we could be the marvel of the league. I really hope BIB grows and becomes something special.

LebaneseBulldog

Bulldogs
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the support. Hopefully all you lads who want to actively support our team get on board because it makes games so much better for us lads and the players really appreciate it. Jim Doyle loves it aswell which is re-assuring.

If 8 guys are louder than 300-400 people who knows where 20 will get us...

As you see we dont have a FB or do not talk with the club (the BA have done their best to derail us by telling the club and police that we have flares etc - all bullshit.) I luckily enough know the riot squad personally from my dealing with the RBB so they know what was going on. Also had several lasers pointed towards us.

I hate the politics and i refuse to get into it.

The bulldogs need our support that is all that matters. Anyone is welcome to join us. Good to know that people are noticing us.

thetfactor

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Isn't the bulldogs army a subgroup located in the kennel. Exact same thing applies in the RBB. Not all Rbb active active supporters are rbb. There are subgroups such as Amok and others.

thetfactor

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Best thing to learn from all this is that the kennel membership next year should clearly state "active area" and "restricted view".

LebaneseBulldog

Bulldogs
Reaction score
Good point. Rbb have subgroups such as northgate, amok, west end massive etc

Cove have harbour city service

Melbourne have fratelli, horda, m3 etc

It is completely normal just foreign to the nrl

thetfactor

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Exactly my point. Important that the club and our supporters to support the team as much as possible.

p.s. no pyro no party jokes jks

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Isn't the bulldogs army a subgroup located in the kennel.
Some would have you believe this isn't true, that if you believe you are in the BA you are in the BA.

But it definitely is a subgroup in The Kennel.

thetfactor

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
one thing id like the bulldogs army to do whilst the team runs out is more streamers and having a visual effect whilst the players run out.

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
I wouldn't know many people from a bar of soap tbh but the times I have tried to be involved at away games have been pretty awkward. Some people have spoke to me & treated me fine (just like the youre a bulldog, youre a mate type thing) but they clearly weren't the "Elite" or the "Upper Echelon".

Some people wouldn't look sideways at me. Not too fussed, just thought it would be a liitle different with the way its been put across in recent times.

Status
Not open for further replies.