Boycott going to games

Status
Not open for further replies.

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Boycotting is not the answer, We need to show strength and support for the club we love.

I have been giving responses to this situation a lot of thought, and have come up with what I think is a few good ideas, but it is difficult for me to promote them as I cannot make the games often at all, and some involve crowd participation. Here are my ideas so far

1) A Minute of silence - With this action, I want to call upon ALL fans of rugby league and not just Dogs fans, personally I am fed up with the NRL's total incompetence in running the game, and thus, I feel we need a minute of silence to acknowledge the Death (or impending death) of Rugby League. - How this works.
During any given game, The participating crowd remains silent for the first minute of the game, then after that, continues on as normal, simply put, the more people that get on board with this idea the better, it could have a profound impact on the game for many reasons, If you get a lot of people on board the silence will hurt the TV presentation, thus annoying channel 9, The more people see it happening, the more people will get on board with it, and realistically it should be done for every game for the rest of the year, and as more teams suffer the injustice of the NRL's mismanagement more fans will get on board, the more it is seen, the more involved, the louder the silence speaks

2) Switch off Rugby league - Refuse to watch any games televised by channel 9 regardless of who is playing.

How it works, instead of watching the game, listen to it on the radio. Channel 9's ratings drop, they get annoyed, again good result as channel 9 get annoyed. The more that get involved, the greater the effect

It is not about who can scream the loudest, but more people involved generates a better outcome
3. boycott SOO and Grand final(if the Bulldogs aren't there)

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Doesn't surprise me tbh Apparently Geoffrey Boycott is a massive dogs fan.

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
3. boycott SOO and Grand final(if the Bulldogs aren't there)

NIL impact whatsoever - just seat warmers if the dogs aren't there, and as to SOO, they really wouldn't care. If we want to instigate change we need to involve many clubs

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We need to be more visible.

Turning our backs to the field like the Wanderers would make the 'journos' tiny brains bleed out of their ears trying to explain it.

ArnieD

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Clubs receive the profits from match attendance, do they not?

The NRL is more about sponsorship and TV deals
I don't think this is the case for us. I believe we get a flat fee from anz stadium and the stadium keeps all money from gate takings, food etc. that way whether there's 5000 or 50000 we get the same amount.

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
We need to be more visible.

Turning our backs to the field like the Wanderers would make the 'journos' tiny brains bleed out of their ears trying to explain it.

I agree with the visibility thing, a statement that can been seen is what is needed, nothing violent, but clear in its intent

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
In an away game, do the gate takings get split or only go to the home side?
Dogs and Rabbits have an arrangement to split takings from their games at ANZ stadium but they're the only ones as far as I know.
You can use your membership to get into certain away games which is good because they get nothing from it

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
I don't think this is the case for us. I believe we get a flat fee from anz stadium and the stadium keeps all money from gate takings, food etc. that way whether there's 5000 or 50000 we get the same amount.
I'm sure we get a big cut and they get small cut. Most their revenue is from signage around the field and on the field. We get a bigger payment, like the bunnies because we have a big audience to play to and more exposure for the sponsors

pokiemen

New Pup
Reaction score
Why not make a statement with the kennel area... leave it empty except for a large protest banner, which makes it seem like we are boycotting the game, but just sit elsewhere for a few games and still cheer on the boys and make some noise??

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm sure we get a big cut and they get small cut. Most their revenue is from signage around the field and on the field. We get a bigger payment, like the bunnies because we have a big audience to play to and more exposure for the sponsors
I just thought it was a guaranteed minimum of something like $100k and anything above that is like any other gate takings.

I understand why people might want to boycott but as others are saying it does seem a bit counterproductive...

Jester

Phill
Reaction score
The NRL is essentially a not-for-profit: all money earned is fed back in to clubs, promotion of the sport, grass roots etc. So any kind of boycott, whether in direct retaliation or out of genuine frustration with the game, only hurts the clubs in the long run and the game as whole. The most you can hope to achieve is a few people from the management getting the sack or resigning. And one club's supporters giving up won't cause that; it'll hurt that one club.

We're going to need to suck it up and move on. Supporters for most team feel like this at some point.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Dissagree, our boys need all the support they can get atm.
The best way to piss off the NRL is to f@ck up their fairytale and win the whole f@cking thing.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I am hoping the retards who threw all that crap and the abuse at the officials boycott the games so we can go enjoy watching the boys play when they need us.

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
Not going to boycott just not gojng to games for a while, I was over league last year and last weekend was the icing on the cake. it's not just our game that turned me off league every game there is a heap of bad calls which make it hard to even enjoy a game

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The NRL is essentially a not-for-profit: all money earned is fed back in to clubs, promotion of the sport, grass roots etc. So any kind of boycott, whether in direct retaliation or out of genuine frustration with the game, only hurts the clubs in the long run and the game as whole. The most you can hope to achieve is a few people from the management getting the sack or resigning. And one club's supporters giving up won't cause that; it'll hurt that one club.

We're going to need to suck it up and move on. Supporters for most team feel like this at some point.
They only put back into to raise more money through success for them selves, just like how investment works in a business. Its all about profit for them now.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nah I disagree with the OP. Be Loud and Proud - Go and support the boys at the games especially HOME GAMES

ninja_h

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Don't boycott our home games. For me I haven't clicked on NRL and/or viewed foxsports nrl websites, if there're 40K of us doing the same for a few weeks it'll make an impact;
paint nrl logo with black marker; turn our backs when smith/greenburg and co. make an appearance at stadium; boycott or buy less from NRL and NRL Ref Assoc.'s sponsors

Good luck NRL selling league to China.

Status
Not open for further replies.